Berries in their twenties!

I apologize for the boring thread title, but I couldn’t think of anything better. This is a thread for berries in their twenties! What do we think? Should we start by introducing ourselves?

The thread title is fine. :smiley:

Well, I technically don’t fit into this forum just yet but I have outgrown the Teenberries forum. So, I’ve come here a tiny bit early. I am [name_f]Eryn[/name_f] and I’m 20 in just under a week. I live in [name_f]England[/name_f] as well.

Hello, [name_f]Eryn[/name_f]!

I’m [name_f]Emily[/name_f]. I turned 21 this year, and I live in the warm, humid part of the US where peanuts and cotton are grown. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m in a technical/business writing program at university right now. What’s everyone’s field of work/study?

Hello [name_f]Eryn[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f]!

My name is [name_u]Haley[/name_u], and I’m turning 21 in exactly three weeks today (I’m actually counting, haha). I’m from [name_f]Canada[/name_f], and I currently live near Niagara Falls, but home is actually a small, close-minded hick town in the middle of nowhere. I’m in my second and final year of Journalism, but I’m hoping to enter Communications in [name_f]April[/name_f] when I finish! :slight_smile:

My family is getting ready to celebrate Thanksgiving this weekend, which I’m very excited to come home for! Are there any holidays on [name_f]Monday[/name_f] for the US or [name_f]England[/name_f]?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], guys. :smiley:

@[name_f]Emily[/name_f]: I am not studying nor working at the moment but I aim to go back to college and study criminology if all goes well and I can afford it.

@[name_u]Haley[/name_u]: Other than it being my birthday on the [name_f]Monday[/name_f], there aren’t any holidays in [name_f]England[/name_f]! [name_m]How[/name_m] have you found Journalism? It’s something that has always been a big interest of mine for as long as I can remember, but I didn’t get along with the course I did at college which has put a dampener on the whole subject for me. :frowning:

I’m [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f] and am 23 :slight_smile: I from the US and live in the Midwest, in a state where we’ve seen thunderstorms, snow, sunshine, rain, and rainbows all in the same day before lol. I love it here! I’ve been married to a wonderful man for over a year now and we are TTC our first. I’m currently in nursing school and am around halfway through, if everything goes well! I both love and hate it…I’m so thankful for the opportunity to continue (and even have) my education, but my days are so rough, especially since I go to school by day and work nights. And let’s try to throw a baby into this lol… Anyhow, I’m really looking forward to fall break. Then a few weeks later is Thanksgiving break, followed by another couple weeks of class, then the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] holiday!

[name_f]Happy[/name_f] birthday for [name_f]Monday[/name_f]! My S/O’s birthday is [name_m]Saturday[/name_m], funny enough! I really like Journalism, but there are aspects of it that I dislike. I’m not a news writer - I found that I do much better at analyzing, research and profile assignments, and human interest stories. I’m actually working on a story now that has to go in for deadline in an hour and half about names :slight_smile: I like that I get to write about whatever I want for the most part. I’ve always been a fan of writing! I also like that most of my profs are from the industry - one was an anchor for the biggest television news corporation in [name_f]Canada[/name_f], and two worked for [name_f]Canada[/name_f]'s biggest national paper, which is cool!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]! I’m actually looking into TTC next year after I complete my studies, so I might turn to you for some advice about the situation! We’re waiting because I live away from home, so being over an hour away from S/O during the week doesn’t seem very fair during a pregnancy.

When does your [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] holiday start? Mine is [name_u]December[/name_u] 16th !

Thank you! And happy early birthday to your S/O, too. :slight_smile: I love human interest stories, and I once had a story I wrote about the Syrian civil war published in a magazine, so I would say they’re my strongest points. I write the best when it’s something I am passionate about, I wish my college’s course didn’t completely put me off because it’s always been my passion! Good luck with your story right now, that seems like a great topic to do! I agree, I love the freedom that comes with journalism. And that’s pretty cool about your profs, I had tutors in my course that came from media backgrounds and it made it a lot easier to hear success stories.

And hi, [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]!

The story is going in for this week’s paper, so I have production tomorrow where we actually design and paginate the paper, and then the issue is out in time for Friday (we hope!). The story should be up online within a week or so of production, so I’d be more than happy to share it with you! Abby from Appellation Mountain actually was one of my interviews :slight_smile:

I’m the same way as you with my writing - I have to pick topics that interest me or that I’m passionate about, or else, I just can’t write it.

[name_u]Haley[/name_u],
[name_m]Even[/name_m] though I’m actively doing the opposite, I think it’s very wise of you to try when your studies are completed! I’ll answer any questions that I can…right off the bat, I recommend joining a TTC thread when the time comes. It helps so much, because you do have questions and the process honestly sucks sometimes…I’m in month 8 of trying and never would’ve thought it would’ve taken this long for me (so far). As far as my [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] holiday, I think it starts maybe [name_u]December[/name_u] 14th? I don’t remember, but I know it is after a late-afternoon final :stuck_out_tongue: good thing is that my winter break lasts until the second week of [name_u]January[/name_u], so I can actually have some time to unwind, relax, and then ease back into the swing of things again.

@eoxima: [name_m]Hi[/name_m]! :slight_smile:

I think we’d both rather be trying now, but, in [name_f]April[/name_f] I’ll be back in my hometown full time for work and, that way our families can be as involved as we’d like. I’ve popped into a TTC 2017 thread already, but I haven’t really said much yet! That’s so funny that we go on break around the same time, and we return around the same time too!

Hello, everyone! My name is [name_f]Heather[/name_f] and I turned 21 this year. I live in the southern United States, in the state known for their peaches! I’m currently a biology major and once I get my Associates in that, I hope to transfer into a university so that I can get my MD. I don’t know what I want to specialize in yet, but I’m leaning toward neurology right now. I also recently thought that becoming a medical examiner sounded interesting, since I also have an interest in forensics.

@[name_f]Eryn[/name_f], happy early birthday! Criminology sounds like an awesome field to go in. I hope everything pans out for you and that you get to complete your studies!

@[name_f]Emily[/name_f], Technical/Business writing isn’t something I know a lot about. What does your field entail, if you don’t mind explaining?

@[name_u]Haley[/name_u], [name_f]Happy[/name_f] early Thanksgiving! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you have a great time with your family!

@[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f], Another person going into the medical field! Good luck with your studies. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you like it so far? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you plan to specialize in any certain area?

[name_f]Heather[/name_f],

Neurology is quite the field! Best of luck with that! I don’t have the brain (ha!) for that…I have always wanted to specialize in Peds Onc, but have been considering critical care lately as well. Honestly, anything but geriatrics…nothing against that group or those who work in that area, but that is not an interest of mine and I’d really rather not work there. I like my studies so far, but I cannot stand the stress of nursing school. Seriously…I hate that part. I’m still recovering from our recent exam schedule: quiz on a Thursday, huge exam on [name_f]Monday[/name_f], quiz on Thursday, huge exam on [name_f]Monday[/name_f], and another quiz on Thursday. One [name_f]Monday[/name_f] off of exams, then another quiz on Thursday…and just took another exam this last [name_f]Monday[/name_f]! Plus an extra test today…and guess what is on this Thursday? Bleh…that is just for one class, too! Plus, you have to pass every exam/quiz/worksheet with a 78% minimum, which sounds okay but is actually really hard. Other colleges have an even higher pass rate like that. sigh I want to quit just about every day. But I’m hanging in there. Good luck with your studies, too! Is there a reason you are leaning towards neurology?

If you are comfortable doing so, I would love to read the story! :slight_smile:

@[name_f]Heather[/name_f]: Thank you and welcome.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone! I’m Bex. I’m 20, and I live on the east coast of the US, in the state for lovers (lol that really is our catch phrase though). I’m currently in my third year of college. I’m majoring in speech language pathology/audiology, but I only just began taking speech classes this semester thanks to gen ed requirements. After reading through your introductions, it sounds like yall are up to some really awesome stuff! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] everything is going well for you all :slight_smile:

@[name_f]Heather[/name_f]: Wow, you and I are practically neighbors! :stuck_out_tongue: Technical writing is all about teaching people how to do (or helping them to understand) complex technical tasks. Most technical writers specialize in a certain field, like computer software or medical technology. As a technical writer, your job might be to create a document that explains a complex medical procedure to a patient or gives step-by-step instructions on how to put your new [name_f]IKEA[/name_f] bookshelf together. Most instruction manuals and financial/legal documents are written by technical writers. What you do really just depends on what area you choose to specialize in, and there are plenty of options to choose from: computer hardware/software, engineering, chemistry, medical technology, robotics, finance, law, military technology, etc. One of my parents’ friends is a technical writer that works for the US [name_f]Air[/name_f] Force. She isn’t allowed to tell anyone what exactly she works on, but she has to have Top [name_f]Secret[/name_f] clearance to work on it. So clearly, it can be a very exciting field. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m twenty next [name_u]August[/name_u]. Please reassure somebody who hates birthdays that this won’t kill me :confused:

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f], you’ll be fine! Truthfully, 20 is not that much different than 19. You’ll just officially not be a teenager anymore. Time does fly, and it occasionally will smack ya in the face that you aren’t 16 anymore, but you are still young and have an entire life ahead of you…and the relative freedom to do what you will with it :slight_smile:

@[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]: You’ll be fine! I didn’t feel any different at twenty than I did at nineteen. You’re entering a new decade of your life, which is exciting and scary, but try to focus on all of the potential that these years hold. There’s a lot of fun to be had in your twenties.

Yay - a thread for us 20-somethings!

@[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - I couldn’t wait to be 20, because I wanted to lose the ‘teenager’ tag.

I’m [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] - known as [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] - and I’m 21 (will be 22 on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u]). I’m a [name_m]Long[/name_m] Islander, born and bred. Currently though, I’m in the Greater [name_m]Boston[/name_m] area, where I’m a senior at college. I’m double majoring in community health and sociology. I can’t quite believe I’m now in my final undergrad year, it only feels like yesterday, that I was a excited and slightly anxious freshman!

Next stop for me is grad school (hopefully Ohio State), and my plan is to do a dual Master’s Public Health/Master’s Social Work (MPH/MSW) degree, so it opens up several career opportunities after graduation.