Berrys vs The World

I’ve a few times in some posts that “Berrys are more open-minded” than other people. I disagree. I feel that the majority of people on here just have a different taste of names.
For example. I love the name [name]Jayden[/name]. If I were to ask for opinions on me naming my son [name]Jayden[/name] on this site, I would get a lot of negativity, whereas if I were to suggest it to my non-berry friends, I would get a better response.

Im curious to here what you guys have to say on the reactions you get on here and the real world.

Though not really I name I would use myself I don’t actually think that there is anything wrong with [name]Jayden[/name], and I don’t know why Berries seem to hate it so much.

[name]Payton[/name] (which I noticed on your signature) is another name that isn’t well liked here but I really love, and gets far more postive reactions in real life than most [name]Berry[/name] favourites.

That being said I know that other names I love such as [name]Agatha[/name] and [name]Edith[/name] are going to be far nicer reations on nameberry than in real life where on of my friends suggested that I had gone insane.

The good thing about nameberry is that if you look hard enough there is always somebody who shares your love for that type of name. [name]Even[/name] when that name is [name]Jayden[/name]

I think it depends on the type of name you’re talking about. I know for a fact that Berries are a lot more open-minded to the type of names that I love compared to the people I know in real life. If I post about [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name] here, I would get dozens of posters who love it. In my real life, my family begs me not to use either one of them, lol. I think it’s just the type of style. The more unique and underused you get, the more likely Berries are to embrace them (especially if they fit the vintagey/hipster type of category), while the trendy/unisex/overdone names are more likely to get shunned by the Berries. I can appreciate [name]Jayden[/name] (I LOVED the Biblical [name]Jadon[/name] before I joined name forums), but with all its overuse, I just can’t see the appeal anymore. The [name]Aiden[/name] names have been done to death, unfortunately.

This was one of my favorite blogs you might like (if you haven’t seen it): Confessions of a Name Heretic–or, in defense of Jayden | Nameberry

I agree with you, Berries just have a different taste in names than most others. But in defense of Berries, they tend to be ahead of the curve in liking names that will become popular. So it’s a good place to come see what type of names will be gaining popularity down the road (disclaimer: not all names popular on nameberry are destined for popularity I’m thinking more of the style than specifics)

I think Berries are not more open minded towards all names, just more open minded to the obscure ones. If I am hypothetically pregnant with a daughter and want to name her [name]Halcyon[/name] or [name]Arcadia[/name] or [name]Persephone[/name] or [name]Miriam[/name], real life people would tell me I was crazy and on Nameberry I would be praised. [name]Jayden[/name]'s not my cup of tea but I can understand the appeal.

I agree you’d get a more positive reaction by the average person for more common names. If you like off the beaten path sorts of names, Nameberry has more people like that.

I think you’ve got a point, but I do find nameberry to be the most open-minded forum I’ve been on.

People on here tend to have more “education” or knowledge on names due to interests in the actual history and etymology etc.
Rather than a pretentious outlook.

Your non-berry friends, are they actually interested in naming history? Etymology? Onomastics in general? If not, then that’s likely why they’re more open to [name]Jayden[/name] than berries. I don’t think you’d get bashed on here for choosing [name]Jayden[/name] however. I’m pretty sure you’d get some helpful posts. Where as on another forum, you’d get many snarky comments.

Keep in mind it’s easier to speak your mind online than in person. That’s a HUGE factor.

You used a mega popular, very modern name as an example, but try asking your non-berry friends about [name]Louisa[/name] or [name]Arthur[/name]. You probably won’t get that same response. Berries as a whole are much more aware of name trends, what’s overused and underused, etc than the general public. Although a wide variety of naming tastes are represented on Nameberry, I think a majority of users gravitate toward a similar style i.e. [name]Henry[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name]. There are a few members of this site that are unbearably snobby about names, but there are also users who are very open-minded and genuinely love names (and not just the names on their shortlist).

On here, most of those who give advice are very interested in names. We know a lot more than the average [name]Joe[/name] about the pronounciation, origins and history behind any given name. If you asked the average person to name a foreign variation of [name]John[/name], chances are they will look at you strangely. Off the top of my head, I know [name]Ian[/name], [name]Sean[/name] and [name]Jean[/name] are variations.

Think of it as choosing a class in a video game for the main character (i.e. warrior, mage). If you ask someone who doesn’t really play video games what they think of you being a mage, they’ll say “Cool.” If you ask someone who is a master at that game, he or she will give a long discussion about why mage is a horrible class; the stats don’t develop fast enough, magic power often runs out, etc.

Of course, baby names is a much different topic than video game characters, but it is similar. The nerds who will actually be able to help you know more about trends. Most people who are uneducated in names would say, “Oh, [name]Jayden[/name]? I haven’t heard that very much. Pretty original.”

However, people in real life can provide valuable tips. Most berries can pronounce Irish names somewhat easily, but among the regular American populous, [name]Caoimhe[/name] brings trouble. Personally, while I’m not pregnant, my mother has laughed at some names of mine that are beautiful by NB standards- like [name]Ariadne[/name] and [name]Seraphina[/name].

I’ve found Berries tend to respect different name styles. If you asked about [name]Jayden[/name], most people would say that it was too popular, too trendy, but if you want to use it, go for it. I tend more towards unique names rather than vintage, and some vintage I strongly dislike. This is why NMS (Not my style) and [name]IMO[/name] (In my opinion) is often used.

Very well-said aurra!

I live in a very hipstery area & a lot of my friends are in creative fields so I think [name]Acacia[/name] would be less strange to them then something like [name]Paisley[/name]

For me Nameberry is a way for me to continually discuss names while not currently pregnant. I mean, I would drive my friends & husband nuts!

But the general style & level of taste are similar to most young creative/professional people here in [name]Brooklyn[/name]

I know different stuff is popular in every state

I think Berries have better taste. The general public don’t seem to educate themselves about names, what’s popular and what isn’t. They don’t seem to put much thought into it either, just picking any old name they like the sound of.

I think a big part of it is that a lot of berries have an interest in origins, name trends, and more obscure options.

I also think that because a lot of us are such name-nerds, we also are more in tune with whats super popular / trendy than people who don’t really care about names. To a majority of “the rest of the world”, if they haven’t heard it on a friends child or on the local playground then it must be pretty unique.

That being said - if you took the huge majority of names from nameberry and showed them to the average person, most of them would probably look pretty horrified.

Trendy / made-up names are just not well received on here, I don’t think that means we are not open minded, we are just aware that they ARE trendy / made-up and have developed tastes that go beyond that.

Maybe it is Berries vs. The World!! But is that honestly such a bad thing?

You can get support for [name]Jayden[/name] almost anywhere. The very thing that makes Berries cringe when it comes to this name is that it IS popular and trendy, and almost everyone in the world loves it. Those of us who don’t are the weird ones!

I favor names that are fantastical and magical and about as far from common or normal as possible. In the “real world”, I feel like it’s ME against the world. My beloved [name]Narnia[/name], [name]Gwyneira[/name], [name]Oberon[/name], and Bastion are outright ridiculed in favor of [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Rory[/name], [name]Braedon[/name], and [name]Kale[/name]. It’s honestly hurtful, because I put so much research and love into my names and they have a wealth of history and magic and personal meaning behind them, whereas so many of these current modern trendy names are just a collection of popular sounds. I don’t care how popular the bright shiny shallow thing is, I will choose deep and mysterious and meaningful every time.

Because of this, Nameberry is a haven for me. I’m not a fan of [name]Clementine[/name] or [name]Beatrix[/name] or [name]Ambrose[/name] or [name]Walter[/name] any more than I am of [name]Jayden[/name]. But here, I’m not mocked for my taste or the reasons behind my naming style, I’m accepted for it. People don’t laugh at me for choosing [name]Caspian[/name], they help me look for middle names! I would never get that from the “real world.” So I would rather it be me and Nameberry against the world than the world against me, alone.