Best Age Gaps?

What do you think are the best age gap or age gaps?

I would say 2 years. [name_f]My[/name_f] brother and I are 2 years apart and so are my parents and their siblings. I think it is very nice, because you can be friends and play/relate with each other without being too close in age.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s true! [name_f]My[/name_f] younger sister and I are 4 years apart, and we’re still really close friends and get along (most of the time)!

1 Like

Would you mind if I move this to Momberries? I think it fits better in that category. :blush:

2 Likes

Sure, no problem! I agree!

1 Like

There you go! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks! :blush:

1 Like

I think all age gaps have their pros and cons.

My sister and I are 6 1/2 years apart. We weren’t super close growing up because we were always at different stages, but now that we’re both adults we are very close and we don’t even notice the age gap. Especially since she actually got married and had a baby well before I did!

My husband and his brother are three years apart and that seems to be a good age gap because they’ve always been close.

My babies are twins so there is no gap for them. This is probably the hardest for the first year, but I think the best long term. I can see them being lifelong friends. :blush:

Our twins are 2 and we’re going to try again soon. Our next baby will have at least a three year gap from the twins. I’m hoping that’s still close enough for them all to be at similar stages as they grow up.

3 Likes

From a sibling closeness perspective, I’d say 2 years or less. From a making it easier for the parents perspective, 5 years or more. I think a 2-3.5 year gap is most common, but I also think siblings with that gap tend to argue more.

2 Likes

My boys are 2 years 9 months apart. I actually think closer to 3 years isn’t the greatest of age gaps.
With a two year age gap they are more likely to share and have the same interests. But the age gap between my two was quite difficult. For instance one would want to build a tower of blocks and the other destroy it. Developmentally speaking, they are very different in that respect. It’s only now at age 3 and nearly 6 are they begining to play nicely etc.
Its why I don’t plan to have my third until my youngest goes to school.

2 Likes

Yes they do! Lol

When the first one is toilet trained or 3.5 years.

2 Likes

I don’t have any siblings, but I think it would be nice to have somebody close enough in age where it’s like you’re growing up together. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents are gone and if DH wasn’t my high school sweetheart, there’d really be no one who I grew up. [name_f]My[/name_f] closest cousin is about 7 years younger than me, so we were always in different stages of life.

Right now I have 2 on the way. If we can handle it, I’d like to wait about 5 years and then have 2 more as close as possible. So I guess I’d like to have 4 in 5-7 years.

1 Like

Our best sibling sets so far are 1.5 years apart. They can really play together as equals fairly quickly. It’s hard when they’re little, but so nice once they’ve grown up a bit.

1 Like

I think the best age gap is when parents feel truly ready to have another child, when they can devote enough attention to all of their kiddos and when they feel their older ones are ready for a sibling. Everyone is different!

My brother and my SO’s brother are 3 and 2 years older than us, and I think this led to a lot of resentment, sibling rivalry and behavioral issues when we were younger. On the other hand, with my daughter, I think she would love a sibling now at age 2, because she is so social and loves to play with other kids.

If we do have another, I will probably wait until [name_f]Bea[/name_f] is in all-day school.

3 Likes

I would say something close like 1½ or 2 years. The siblings are closer to each other

Our DS and DD are 23 months apart. They get along fairly well and have similar enough interests. I really love the 23 month age gap and wish our next would be that close. Realistically they will probably be 3.5 years apart from our youngest.

Lol I was about 2 years older than my brother and we tried to kill each other daily as soon as he was old enough to fight me until around middle school. Ok, that’s a slight exaggeration but there were knock down drag out fights! I’m sure gender makes a big difference in how kids get along? Maybe not. :smiley:

1 Like

Statistically I’ve read 2-3 years is best however my sister and I are 2.5y apart and both hated it. We are very different and because we were so close in age we were expected to do stuff together and get on, which we didn’t at all.

We get on fine as adults but are not friends whereas we both get on great with are older siblings who we have a 10+ age group.

My plan is for 4 years, from what I’ve read theyre less likely to be close but also less rivalry. But who knows how ill feel at number 1 is born anyway.

1 Like

For the mininum of the range, health orgs strongly recommend spacing pregnancies at least 18 or 24mo apart, because any closer increases risks to mother’s health and baby’s health and development.

I think anywhere in the 3 yr - 6 yr gap is very nice.

1 Like