Best Names You've Never Heard: What's Your Score?

Today’s blog shines a light on the super-rare boy names you’ve never heard of… Except I know our resident name experts will have heard at least some of these! :wink:

Go on, vote below and let us know your score! There are 122 names listed – how many had you heard before?

• 0-20
  • 21-40
  • 41-60
  • 61-80
  • 81-100
  • 101-122

0 voters

And share your favourites and any additions you’d like to suggest below! :hugs:

3 Likes

I got a huge score of 8 :joy: was delighted to see [name_u]Esker[/name_u] - that’s on my list! [name_m]Cadfael[/name_m] and [name_m]Winfield[/name_m] might be new ones to add… It’s tough to feel like you’ve seen every name sometimes but this just proves I really haven’t!

2 Likes

Really cool post ! My biggest accomplishment is knowing a Vissarion in real life hahaha.
Oh, and sorry if you mentioned this in the article and I missed this - but out of curiosity, are these names in the database or going to be added?

1 Like

No way! But some of these aren’t all that unusual in their native countries, so I’m guessing some of our international Berries will recognise a few and think… huh? :thinking:

These names are all in the database, it’s just that unfortunately we aren’t currently able to link names direct from the blogs. But if you search them, you should find them (and let me know if I missed any!)

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: isn’t it gorgeous?

1 Like

It’s actually very rare here as well ! I’d never heard of the name before I met him. So definitely a great find for a blog post on rare names

Ooh, that makes sense, thank you for clarifying!!

1 Like

I didn’t recognise many (<20), but I was happy to see [name_m]Agni[/name_m] (a long-time fave) and [name_m]Nikau[/name_m] (a beautiful Maori name from Aotearoa [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand) on the list. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

edited for privacy (:

2 Likes

A lot of these were new to me though i have met a Llew!!

1 Like

This was such a fab read! I went to an international school and have lived predominately in an international community for most of my life so I was expecting to see quite a few familiar names. I was very much mistaken and only counted 11!

[name_m]Cadfael[/name_m] is a long time love of mine and it was nice to see [name_m]Ianto[/name_m] & [name_m]Llew[/name_m] (my Welsh heritage is coming out strongly!.) [name_m]Wales[/name_m] has such a beautiful history of names that not many people know of!

[name_m]Balfour[/name_m] I had heard of but only as the the surname of [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Balfour[/name_m] who was the UK prime minister from 1902-1905. It’s a very handsome name but I don’t think I could completely loose the association as I am too much of a history buff! [name_m]Winfield[/name_m] is also a very smart name and one I might put on my list!

I have two claim to fames from this post as I went to school with a boy named [name_m]Yasha[/name_m] and I know I female [name_m]Tekoa[/name_m]!

Thank you so much for posting :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I recognized 29! Some of those were due to the lists of other Berries, some were due to coming across them in books (whether that’s religious texts, history books, legends, or even contemporary novels).

2 Likes

Great blog, thanks @katinka!
I am certain I was aware of just 16 of these names, and then there were 7 more that I put in a maybe column. These were: [name_m]Aalto[/name_m], [name_m]Helier[/name_m], [name_m]Juro[/name_m], Merrion, [name_m]Quirin[/name_m], [name_m]Urbain[/name_m] and Valero. These are names that certainly felt familiar but maybe just because of their similarity to other names (Helio, [name_f]Juno[/name_f], Varerian) or words (urban).
I love these that are completely new to me:

Aubelin
[name_m]Geneo[/name_m]
[name_m]Leolin[/name_m]
Maedoc
[name_u]Ravello[/name_u]
Zephaniel

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

21 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I feel like I cheated a bit to get there though - Finnish names like [name_m]Juhani[/name_m] and [name_m]Aalto[/name_m] don’t count as rare in my life (and I’ve watched way too much anime since I was a teenager so the Japanese ones were very familiar to me too).

2 Likes

I believe it’s unisex! I love Gwenael too and Kairos is a great rare gem but given to too many babies last year (60) to make this list.

Wow! I’m a big fan of Yasha in particular, it puts me in mind of the great Jascha Heifetz :violin:

@EdgeOfTheMeadow I’m loving Aubelin and Ravello too!

I figured you’d recognise quite a few, Karo!

3 Likes

Here are the handful I recognized: [name_m]Balfour[/name_m], [name_m]Calixte[/name_m], [name_m]Dacre[/name_m], [name_m]Erling[/name_m], [name_u]Esker[/name_u], [name_m]Llew[/name_m], [name_m]Taro[/name_m], [name_m]Viator[/name_m], and [name_m]Yasha[/name_m]! A few I only know of due to celebrities (Dacre [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] of Stranger Things and soccer player [name_m]Erling[/name_m] Haaland), the rest I think I’ve seen around NB. [name_m]Llew[/name_m] is the only one I’ve seen used in real life! (meaning in my personal life, of course the celebrities are technically real people, lol)

2 Likes

I knew about 18. I was tempted to count more, because another good handful seem to be variants of names I know (Ambrus, [name_m]Calixte[/name_m], [name_m]Lazare[/name_m], for example), but I didn’t.

I :heart: [name_m]Cadfael[/name_m]. It’s so cool to know someone actually used it.

3 Likes

I knew 17, but counting some variations of names I know would boost that score! A couple of these names are actually on my list somewhere: Yvain and [name_m]Llew[/name_m]!

1 Like

I knew 8, and of 3 more I wasn’t sure. There were a few I almost knew, like not [name_m]Valero[/name_m] but [name_m]Valerio[/name_m].

1 Like

Only 10, but I LOVE [name_m]Osier[/name_m] :green_heart:

1 Like

so proud of myself for knowing 49 of them!! I’ve spent a lot of time looking for new names to love! this was a fantastic article, I’ve fallen for so many new ones! :relaxed:

was really happy to see [name_m]Dacre[/name_m] :heart:, [name_u]Aalto[/name_u] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:, [name_m]Yasha[/name_m], [name_m]Nikau[/name_m], [name_m]Elouan[/name_m], [name_m]Merrion[/name_m], [name_m]Tekoa[/name_m], [name_m]Quiller[/name_m], [name_m]Fyfe[/name_m], [name_m]Calixte[/name_m], [name_m]Thales[/name_m], [name_m]Valero[/name_m], [name_m]Iakopa[/name_m], [name_m]Pavao[/name_m], and [name_m]Winfield[/name_m] as I think they’re so underappreciated!!!

I really love [name_m]Gwenael[/name_m] (oh my!!), [name_m]Cadfael[/name_m], [name_m]Leolin[/name_m], [name_m]Bartalan[/name_m], [name_u]Ellender[/name_u], [name_m]Sikandar[/name_m], [name_m]Vissarion[/name_m] (this reminds me of Viserion from GOT!!), [name_m]Ambrus[/name_m], [name_m]Cebrian[/name_m], [name_m]Haneul[/name_m], [name_m]Ealair[/name_m], [name_m]Jurian[/name_m], [name_m]Nahuel[/name_m], [name_m]Erling[/name_m], [name_m]Nandor[/name_m], [name_m]Mathuin[/name_m], [name_u]Kapua[/name_u], and [name_m]Wyre[/name_m] and they have all been added to my list!!

Also, I went to school with two boys named Dayo!! one was short for Adedayo, though!!

3 Likes