Bethan or Bethany?

I ADORE the name [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] - after [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], it’s probably my favourite. It’s got the 80s retro/nostalgia vibe I love, it’s familiar, it’s still in regular use, and has solid history as a name, as well as a bit of an honour nod to my mom’s name ([name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]).

However, I did notice that [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] and [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] rhyme a little bit. It doesn’t bother me terribly, but I can’t guarantee it won’t bother me at some stage? Which brings me to [name_f]Bethan[/name_f] - it’s just as sweet, less familiar but similar enough to [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], and it’s the Welsh form of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (my mom’s family is proudly Welsh, lol).

Which do you prefer, [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] or [name_f]Bethan[/name_f]?
Would the rhyme-y endings bother you? Other names on my list atm are [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Robyn[/name_f], [name_f]Christina[/name_f], [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] & [name_u]Kelly[/name_u]!

[name_f]Bethany[/name_f] sounds sweeter and a little more laid back to me. I prefer it, but I feel like [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] could also work as a nn to [name_f]Bethan[/name_f].

1 Like

Bethany, for sure.

Bethan just looks incomplete or like a typo.

2 Likes

I prefer [name_f]Bethan[/name_f]. I also really like just [name_f]Beth[/name_f]!

1 Like

Bethany! I agree [name_f]Bethan[/name_f] looks and sounds like a typo. There is always [name_f]Bethel[/name_f] as an option.

1 Like

Bethany is a gorgeous name! I’m not sure about [name_f]Bethan[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Bethany[/name_f] & [name_f]Stepahnie[/name_f] rhyme too much for me :confused: I love [name_f]Bethan[/name_f] though! I think it’s so sleek and fun.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Bethan[/name_f]. It sounds so warm and strong!

1 Like

I think that [name_f]Bethan[/name_f] could work. Especially with the connection to your mom’s heritage :blush: I do prefer [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] on its own but with [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] you’re right it is a little rhyme-y. I don’t think it’s too bad though and I wouldn’t be surprised by sisters [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] and [name_f]Bethany[/name_f].
I also like [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] quite a bit.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Bethan[/name_f], especially with family ties, it’s a really great choice! I do think [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] and [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] are okay together, as long as they’re balanced in a sibset. So just [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] & [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] are fine, or with two more siblings that don’t rhyme, so no one’s left out. But that is from a name nerd POV, in the real world I doubt it would be an issue.

1 Like

Bethan is nice for all the reasons you mentioned, but I do have to agree that it looks incomplete to my eyes. I would lean toward [name_f]Bethany[/name_f].

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Bethan[/name_f]. It’s just a bit cooler and more spunky compared to [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], which is softened by the y. I like both but I prefer [name_f]Bethan[/name_f].

1 Like

I’m Welsh, so I’m biased in support of [name_f]Bethan[/name_f]. I’m not sure why, but I much prefer it to [name_f]Bethany[/name_f]. In addition, [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] and [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] (or vice versa) does kinda sound like a children’s program.

2 Likes

Is [name_f]Bethan[/name_f] pronounced [name_f]Beth[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Beth[/name_f]-en? If the former, I like it better if paired with a sister to a [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]. I do like the name [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] by itself better, but if paired with [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] I’m not a fan of the rhyming. It actually reminds me of an episode of Full House where [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] fabricates a fake twin sister she names [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Bethan[/name_f]. It sounds softer to me.

1 Like

In the circumstances I ould go with [name_f]Bethan[/name_f]

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

@kittylitter - I pronounce [name_f]Bethan[/name_f] as [name_f]Beth[/name_f]-an, with a short an sound at the end (not quite a full “anne” lol - I guess more like [name_f]Beth[/name_f]-en??). I also think I may prefer [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], but now that you mention it, that could be why the rhyming felt a little odd :stuck_out_tongue: I mean, [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]'s on my list partly because of [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] [name_u]Tanner[/name_u] (my family jokes and says it’d be adorable if I used the Full House names - DJ, [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] and [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] LOL), so maybe it doesn’t bother me too much? I may have to sleep on this one LOL

I do like just [name_f]Beth[/name_f] but it feels a little bit off to me, like it’s missing something? But, we’d likely use [name_f]Bethany[/name_f]/Bethan “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]”!

Thank you again!!

1 Like

Oh gotcha! Haha yeah I like a lot of those names too, but if they were all together that’s all I would think of lol. I still think I like [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] best but [name_f]Bethan[/name_f] is cute too!