Between these two names?

Hey berries… I’d love your opinion on which is the nicer name:

[name_f]Ava[/name_f] - love the simplicity and ease of both spelling and pronunciation. Classic but feels current. Main concern is the names popularity… would she just be one of many Avas in her class at school?

[name_f]Maeva[/name_f] - the alternative [name_f]Ava[/name_f], slightly more unique but would you be constantly spelling it or correcting the pronunciation. [name_m]Will[/name_m] people just mis-hear it as [name_f]Ava[/name_f]?

Please let me know which you prefer! x

Ya know, I don’t think I’ve actually ever heard [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] before!! But I really like it… [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is sweet, but [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] is definitely more unique. I don’t think the spelling would be too much of an issue, I’d go for it :smiley:

1 Like

Oooo… this is hard. I feel like [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] is a little softer sounding, and you have the great nn potential of [name_f]Mae[/name_f] (which is darling!) [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is more recognizable and simple, but [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] is more unusual and imho, more beautiful. Voting for [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Mae[/name_f])!

1 Like

Are you pronouncing [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] as “[name_f]May[/name_f]-vuh” or “mahv-uh”? I immediately went to the second pronunciation, so with that name you might have pronunciation issues.

Out of the 2, I slightly prefer [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] (pronounced “[name_f]May[/name_f]-vuh”) but both choices are great. If you really love [name_f]Ava[/name_f], don’t let popularity sway you.

Really love [name_f]Maeva[/name_f]; I actually prefer it to [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. It’s sophisticated but also youthful and lively, plus it’s interesting to read, write and say.

I really like [name_f]Ava[/name_f], I enjoy the Old Hollywood pared-back glamour of it. But it does feel a bit overdone to me at this point.

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote goes to the lovely [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] :purple_heart:

Both names are beautiful! I think I would go with [name_f]Maeva[/name_f]. It is unique and adorable. It may occur the necessity to spell [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] a few times, but depending on where you live, I don’t believe it will be a constant problem.

I like [name_f]Maeva[/name_f]; it’s pretty and soft sounding, easy to pronounce (once you know how) without being too common. It’s possible you might occasionally have issues with spelling and pronunciation, but it’s a lovely name for both a child and an adult.

[name_f]Ava[/name_f] is gorgeous, and definitely the more popular of the two. You’re correct that she’ll likely be one of several [name_f]Ava[/name_f]’s in her year.

Normally I’m attracted to the more unusual name in a comparison, but [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] to me feels a bit… contrived? I like the sleek softness of [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and the classic glamour of [name_f]Ava[/name_f], while [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] feels a bit like a less successful smoosh of the two.

If you want the “[name_f]Ava[/name_f]” sound, I imagine it would be simpler to go with [name_f]Ava[/name_f]. With [name_f]Maeva[/name_f], I imagine you’ll be dealing with a lot of misunderstanding around the spelling and pronunciation with people assuming you do mean [name_f]Ava[/name_f] or [name_f]Maeve[/name_f].

Have you considered [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], or [name_f]Ada[/name_f]?

1 Like

As someone named [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] I was one of many [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]’s in my class and I know so many people care about this but being one of many [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]’s didn’t bother me. The other two [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]’s in my grade and I all had a special connection. With that being said I like [name_f]Ava[/name_f]. Meavah just sounds like [name_f]Ava[/name_f] with an M in front of it so if you like [name_f]Ava[/name_f] you might as well just go for it ya know? Not to say I don’t like Meavah just out of the two I prefer [name_f]Ava[/name_f]. Best of luck with your baby!

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote is for [name_f]Maeva[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is really pretty but if you’re concerned about an overrun of the name I’d steer clear.

I grew up with the name [name_f]Kristina[/name_f]. And everyone I turned I was met with anChristina, [name_f]Christine[/name_f], [name_f]Kristin[/name_f], [name_f]Kristen[/name_f], [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], [name_f]Kristal[/name_f] and [name_f]Tina[/name_f]. It’s nuts to this day as I even have an in-law named [name_u]Chris[/name_u].

Although I do generally tend to prefer the more unusual of the list, I do actually prefer [name_f]Ava[/name_f] here. I like the sweet simplicity of it. I’d likely give an [name_f]Ava[/name_f] a pretty unusual middle to fall back on should she ever wish to have a less common name.

[name_f]Maeva[/name_f]. Beautiful name! Did you know that [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] is actually quite common in [name_f]France[/name_f]? I feel like [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is really overused at this moment, although it is a beautiful name. [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] would be a lovely alternative.

[name_f]Maeva[/name_f] is beauitful! I think the pronunciation is fsirly intuitive

[name_f]Maeva[/name_f] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

As a person why studies latin, I go naturaly to pronouncing [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] as [name_f]My[/name_f]-va because in latin ae makes and I noise. To avoid complications, is there any other way to spell it? Perhaps Mayva? I think [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is lovely, and so is [name_f]Maeva[/name_f], but [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is less likely to be mispronounced.

I’ve actually thought about these names a lot! [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is one my favorites, but I don’t love how popular it is. I’ve been trying to think of alternatives:
[name_f]Aviana[/name_f]
Avaline (rhymes with [name_f]Caroline[/name_f])
Avalia (uh-vail-yuh)
and [name_f]Maeva[/name_f].

So if [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is too popular for you, go for [name_f]Maeva[/name_f], it’s beautiful! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Maeva[/name_f]. [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is very pretty, but I know so, so many and she’d always be [name_f]Ava[/name_f] X. in school, etc. [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] is distinctive and gorgeous. It doesn’t feel too “out there” because of [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], and I think it would be easy for people to spell. It’s a name that could work for a fairy, but it has strength.