Bird names shortlist

I kinda like bird names (probs for a character not a child) and I wondered wether people would give their opinions and their favorites from my list;
[name_f]Alouette[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_f]Avis[/name_f]
[name_f]Branwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]
[name_f]Deryn[/name_f]
[name_u]Lark[/name_u]
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_f]Sephora[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]

So yeah, thanks, I just wanted to know also what kind of image these names invoke for you? Thanks again! With love :sunny:

[name_f]Alouette[/name_f] - I’ve never heard this one before! It’s very sweet and stylish.
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] - I adore [name_f]Ava[/name_f], but it’s become way too popular for my taste. It’s still a lovely name though. It feels very classic and timeless.
[name_f]Avis[/name_f] - this one has a pleasant vintage vibe and could be a good alternative to [name_f]Ava[/name_f].
[name_f]Branwen[/name_f] - I saw this one and thought “I bet this one is Celtic”. And I was right lol. Celtic names, particularly Welsh ones, always evoke a very specific imagery in my mind, one of foggy hills and moors and medieval epics.
[name_f]Circe[/name_f] - I like the sound of this one, but [name_f]Circe[/name_f] in Greek mythology wasn’t exactly a positive character and there’s also [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister, whose name is pronounced the same and who’s pretty much ruined [name_f]Circe[/name_f] for me.
[name_f]Deryn[/name_f] - a bit close to [name_u]Darren[/name_u] for my taste and therefore quite masculine.
[name_u]Lark[/name_u] - LOVE [name_u]Lark[/name_u]! It’s so pretty and makes me think of spring and crisp early mornings.
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] - [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], like [name_f]Avis[/name_f], feels sweet and vintage, and I would love to see more of it.
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] - I actually really like [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. Some think it’s dated, but I think it’s cheerful and peppy. Maybe it’s because one of my favorite book characters is named [name_u]Robin[/name_u] ([name_u]Robin[/name_u] Ellacott from the [name_m]Cormoran[/name_m] Strike crime novel series).
[name_f]Sephora[/name_f] - unfortunately I just see a cosmetics store when I hear this one. It’s pretty, but I don’t think most people could get past the association.
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] - like [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is one of my favorite bird names. It feels spunky and full of character.

Overall, my favorites would be [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Branwen[/name_f] and [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] and [name_f]Avis[/name_f]! I imagine lots of birds when I hear those names.

Although the name sounds elegant, I unfortunately associate [name_f]Sephora[/name_f] with cosmetics, not birds.

When I hear [name_f]Circe[/name_f] I think about the myth, not about birds but maybe you like the more subtle bird meaning. It’s a powerful name for a character.

To me, [name_f]Alouette[/name_f] sounds very pretty but also a bit pretentious. I didn’t know it meant [name_u]Lark[/name_u].

I didn’t know [name_f]Deryn[/name_f] and [name_f]Branwen[/name_f] meant bird either, but it are nice names.

Lark, [name_u]Robin[/name_u] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] are all good options. I immediately think about the birds when I hear those names. [name_f]My[/name_f] personal favourite is [name_u]Robin[/name_u]!

1 Like

[name_f]Deryn[/name_f] literally translates to welsh as bird :rofl:

Yes, I looked it up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I LOVE Av names . So my favourites would be [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]Avis[/name_f] and [name_f]Ava[/name_f].

I also love [name_u]Robin[/name_u] for the 90’s revival. I grew up with 2 [name_u]Robin[/name_u]’s in my class, they were spelled differently. It makes me think of playing barbies and jamming out to the spice girls rather than the bird.

I have been crushing on [name_u]Wren[/name_u] a lot lately.

And I had no idea [name_f]Deryn[/name_f] meant bird! It makes me really like it although I am not a fan of the spelling.

Circe, [name_u]Lark[/name_u] and [name_f]Sephora[/name_f] have grown on me!

1 Like

I like [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Sephora[/name_f], [name_f]Alouette[/name_f], and [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. :heart:

Unless the popularity doesn’t bother you, you could also try [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] or [name_f]Aviana[/name_f]. You can then nn her [name_f]Ava[/name_f] if you wanted.

I don’t wear makeup but others are saying [name_f]Sephora[/name_f] is a makeup company if that bothers you otherwise I think it’s really pretty :heart: It’s not a bird, but you could try [name_f]Saphira[/name_f] as an alternative.

[name_f]Avis[/name_f] makes me think of the car rental otherwise I think it’s nice.

I wasn’t aware that your other name choices (nor [name_f]Alouette[/name_f]) have to do with birds so birds didn’t come to mind for the rest of them.

Overall, I think my top 2 favorites are Sephora/Saphira Alouette followed by Avalyn/Ava Wren, and then Lark then Robin.

I think Alderyn and [name_f]Aya[/name_f] also means bird, Aleron and [name_m]Aquilla[/name_m] means eagle, [name_m]Altair[/name_m] means falcon, [name_f]Pavana[/name_f] means Peacock, [name_u]Sora[/name_u] means sky, [name_f]Yara[/name_f] means butterfly (I know it’s not a bird), and [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u], [name_f]Austra[/name_f], and Aquillo are winds

Have you also considered [name_f]Canary[/name_f], [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], [name_u]Raven[/name_u], [name_m]Crane[/name_m], Cardinal, [name_f]Swan[/name_f], [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u], [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u], [name_u]Jay[/name_u], Albatross, or [name_u]Falcon[/name_u]?

1 Like

Oh and I almost forgot the children’s [name_f]Alouette[/name_f] [name_u]French[/name_u] song. I liked the song as a kid though I had no idea what they were saying haha

1 Like

I love them all. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites: [name_f]Alouette[/name_f], [name_f]Avis[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_u]Robin[/name_u] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u]

1 Like

Mavis is so warm and lovely, [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is quirky and cute and I love the delightful [name_f]Deryn[/name_f]

1 Like

My favorites are [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_f]Circe[/name_f], and [name_u]Wren[/name_u]! I also really like [name_f]Branwen[/name_f]. [name_f]Alouette[/name_f] is very sweet, too! You have a beautiful list!!

1 Like

From your list I like [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_u]Robin[/name_u] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u].

What about …
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_m]Hawk[/name_m]
[name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_u]Raven[/name_u]
[name_f]Swan[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]Alouette[/name_f], and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] are my favorites! Especially [name_f]Alouette[/name_f]!

1 Like

Alouette- I love I have a daughter w this name
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]- Meh list it’s spark
[name_f]Avis[/name_f]- cute underused
[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]- like this
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]- looks off pronunciation nightmare
[name_f]Deryn[/name_f]- too close to The common boys name
[name_u]Lark[/name_u]- cute too masculine for me for girls name
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] - cute underused
[name_f]Robyn[/name_f]- dated
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]- ok
Suggest [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] is lovely but alas it only makes me think of the singer, [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f], who I find very annoying :confused:

1 Like