Birdie

So, we are still struggling with girls names but love the nn [name]Birdie[/name] for something like [name]Bernadette[/name] or [name]Bernice[/name]. We love [name]Birdie[/name] more than those names and are wondering if we can get away with naming our daughter that instead? Opinions? Gasps of disgust?

P.S.-We also like [name]Millicent[/name] nn [name]Millie[/name] and [name]Hetty[/name].

[name]Birdie[/name] is begging to be picked on in middle school.

I think [name]Birdie[/name] is quite cute! I was thinking about [name]Berenice[/name] a few months ago, but abandoned the thought because of the lack of nicknames. [name]Birdie[/name] could potentially be teased, but really, I think it’s fine. Thanks for the inspiration!

What about [name]Elizabeth[/name] as the formal name but nn [name]Birdie[/name]? [name]Betty[/name] is a common nn for [name]Elizabeth[/name] so it’s not too much of a stretch, and that way she would have the more simple formal name to go to if she ever wanted to for professional reasons.

[name]Birdie[/name] could be a nickname for [name]Bridget[/name] too and I think that’s really cute in full as well. I wouldn’t use [name]Birdie[/name] as a standalone full name. Might be cute on a three year old, but what about a 43 year old? Nah, [name]Bridget[/name], nn [name]Birdie[/name] would be my choice to get it!

On the show “Mad Men”, [name]January[/name] [name]Jones[/name]’ character is named [name]Elizabeth[/name] and goes by “[name]Betty[/name]”, but her husband calls her “[name]Birdie[/name]”.
A pretty, feminine name for a pretty girl! I do think a more “serious” given name will be useful when she’s older, though. “[name]Bridget[/name]” was my favorite suggestion.

Thanks! I appreciate everyone’s suggestions as I know that [name]Birdie[/name] is not too fitting for a 43 year old woman. We like [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Birgitte[/name] or [name]Birgitta[/name] and [name]Bernice[/name]. I am named [name]Elizabeth[/name], so it may be a little strange for my daughter to have the same name (but I do love “Mad Men”…good reference).

oooh, I like [name]Brigitta[/name]. She’s being added to my list!

i have a daughter named birdie and it fits her perfectly.
she’s named for a librarian who is near and dear to my heart – in her fifties now, but thirties when i met her and birdie has suited her the entire time. she’s light-hearted and lovely, a birdie through and through.
so if you love birdie, i say go for it! at least it’s a real name – not a caden/jaden/brayden, which is a far worse fate in my opinion.

I really like [name]Birdie[/name], too!