Birth announcements in the UK

[name]Hi[/name], I notice a lot of Berries collect names from online announcements and hospital lists so I thought it would be fun to give it a go. Had to do a lot of sifting through the recurring names (will list those too though) but there are some really weird and cool ones. Some tryndeigh ones too. I used a website that lists announcements from all kinds of newspapers from different areas.

[name]Raven[/name] (boy)
[normalname]-Boo
[name]Pollyanna[/name]
Synn (not sure if boy or girl)
[name]Ole[/name]
[name]Tiernan[/name] (boy)
[name]Boe[/name] and [name]Beau[/name] (both girls)
Ailie x2
[name]Taylor[/name] x3 (all boys)
[name]Skyla[/name] x2
Sienta
[name]Eartha[/name] x2
[name]Jaycee[/name]
[name]Baxter[/name]
[name]Tegan[/name], [name]Teegan[/name] and Teigan (all girl)
[name]Orla[/name]
[name]Pixie[/name]
Eivissa
Rannoch
[name]Kyson[/name]
[name]Vinny[/name] and [name]Vinnie[/name] (both boy)
[name]Taran[/name] (boy)
[name]Kenzie[/name] (boy!)
[name]Billie[/name] (girl)
[name]Neo[/name]
Aliona
[name]Evangeline[/name] x3
[name]Ailsa[/name] x3
[name]Cailean[/name]
[name]Indy[/name] (boy)
Safiya
[name]Albie[/name] x2
[name]Darcy[/name] x2, [name]Darci[/name] and [name]Darcey[/name] (all girls)
[name]Alasdair[/name]
[name]Romy[/name] (girl, twin to [name]Rain[/name])
[name]Lennon[/name] (boy)
[name]Matteo[/name]
Tylon
[name]Alesha[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name] x2
[name]Lavina[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] x2 (1 boy, 1 girl)
[name]Casey[/name], [name]Kacy[/name], [name]Kacie[/name] and [name]Kacey[/name] x3
[name]Hope[/name]
[name]Maximus[/name]
[name]Krystal[/name], [name]Christal[/name] and [name]Crystal[/name] x2
[name]Avie[/name]
Livvi
[name]Tavie[/name] (girl, I think it was short for something but I can’t remember what)
[name]Raphael[/name]
Emielia
[name]Perry[/name] (boy)
Ellouise
[name]Florence[/name] x5
[name]Evanna[/name]
[name]Ruari[/name] x2, [name]Rory[/name] x2 (all boy)
Rhemmy and [name]Remi[/name] (both girl)
Caoibhe
Broadi
Lowenna
Ebbonnee
[name]Arya[/name]
[name]Oakley[/name]
[name]Ember[/name]
[name]Frankie[/name] (girl)
[name]Flynn[/name] x2 (both boy)
[name]Milo[/name] x2
[name]Bleu[/name] (girl)
[name]Zofia[/name]
[name]Wynn[/name] (boy)
Jorgie (girl)
[name]Eilidh[/name]
[name]Lois[/name] x5
[name]Dempsey[/name] x2
[name]Marley[/name] (boy)
[name]Zia[/name]
[name]Orran[/name]

Recurring names, in no particular order:
[name]Mason[/name]
[name]Alfie[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Tyler[/name] x10000000
[name]Theo[/name] x100000
[name]Millie[/name]
[name]Mollie[/name]
[name]Erin[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Caden[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] x10000000000000000000
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Jayden[/name]
[name]Mollie[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Macey[/name] / [name]Macy[/name]
[name]Jessica[/name]
[name]Nevaeh[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Evie[/name]
[name]Lily[/name] x9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Lilly[/name]
[name]Lillie[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]-[see where I’m going with this?] Lol. :slight_smile: Pretty name, but overused.
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Ellie[/name]
[name]-Mae, -May, -Mai.

ALSO

• I saw the combo Nevaeh Violet. While I’m not fond of Nevaeh at all, I actually think that is a nice combo.
  • One boy had the middle name Love.
  • Another boy had several exotic middle names (well, two, lol), all masculine names except one of his middles - Seraphina. I wonder if it had family significance or something, but still kind of odd.
  • Did I mention [normalname]-Boo? Probably influenced by [name]Jamie[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]'s daughter [name]Daisy[/name] Boo. ><

[name]Raven[/name] (boy)

I think [name]Raven[/name] is kind of cool for a boy but seems to be a girl name in the US (for some reason).

[name]Taylor[/name] x3 (all boys)

Ranking 36 for girls in the US and 326 for boys while at 97 for boys in the UK this is another of those names, like [name]Ashley[/name] and [name]Brooklyn[/name] that seem to be unisex yet clearly favor the opposite gender on one side of the Atlantic vs the other.

[name]Taran[/name] (boy)

Listed in the Nameberry database as a female name, I can’t find too much on this and wonder where this name comes from.

[name]Kenzie[/name] (boy!)

Another of those opposite sides of the Atlantic names, ranking 89 for boys in the UK and not ranking for girls, vs ranking 372 for girls in the US and not for boys.

[name]Rory[/name] x2 (all boy)

Dr Who fans? :slight_smile:

• Another boy had several exotic middle names (well, two, lol), all masculine names except one of his middles - [name]Seraphina[/name]. I wonder if it had family significance or something, but still kind of odd.

[name]Seraphin[/name] and [name]Serafin[/name] seem to be male names (French and Polish respetively) but the a at the end clearly makes it seem more feminine. I wonder why they included the -a when the same spelling minus the a could have been used and still honor someone.

I think it would be great on a boy, too. It’s never been popular at all over here at all, so a male [name]Raven[/name] won’t be mistaken for a girl, nor would a female [name]Raven[/name] be mistaken for a boy.

I know boys called [name]Taylor[/name] in my school, but I know a female [name]Tayla[/name]. I’m pretty certain there was a [name]Tayla[/name] in the birth announcements but I didn’t think it would strike anyone so I left it out. In a British accent you really can’t tell the difference between [name]Taylor[/name] and [name]Tayla[/name].

I know a female [name]Taryn[/name] but I think that is a separate name. I wrote it off as a modern invention when I saw it, but if it’s in Nameberry then maybe not.

http://youritdep.com/sites/default/files/computer-out-window.jpg

Lol… so I’m not the biggest [name]Doctor[/name] Who fan. My youngest cousin made me watch it the other day. ><
Really, I think it is influenced by Doctor Who, and also by Ireland, where it’s exclusively male.

True; I’m putting this one down to modern phenomenon or whatever you call it. If you can give a girl the middle name James, I guess a boy is entitled to the second middle name Seraphina. :slight_smile: They probably should have use Seraphin, Serafin or Seraphinus.

Something that does puzzle me about it is that Seraphina is not unheard of in the UK as a feminine name, not by a long shot - I have only met one Seraphina but I know people who have siblings and cousins and the like called Seraphina as well. I’m pretty sure his parents knowingly gave him a feminine second middle name.

The actor who played the youngest son on “Home Improvement” was named [name]Taran[/name] [name]Noah[/name] [name]Smith[/name]… I remembered the name when I saw this post. [name]Don[/name]'t know where the name comes from, but the actor would be in his late 20’s, probably, by now.

Yeah this one has me head scratching a bit too. I figured it was “known” in the UK as a girl’s name even if not that commonly used. It’s also quite “frilly” to my ears anyway. And then to add it as a second middle name which is unusual too. I imagine there is a story behind this which would be interesting to know.

[name]Abby[/name] Sandel who blogs at Nameberry regularly wrote about [name]Taran[/name] as a boy’s name back in Dec 2009 - perhaps someone read her article :slight_smile:

http://appellationmountain.net/2009/12/17/name-of-the-day-taran/

Google as I might, I can’t find [name]Seraphina[/name] listed as masculine anywhere!

I love [name]Taran[/name] as a boy’s name! According to another name book I have, it’s a Welsh name meaning thunder. I love it because it is the name of the main character in the Prydain chronicles by [name]Lloyd[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]. They are great children’s books, and where we got our idea for Eily, our number one girl name at the moment. [name]Taran[/name] is on my boy list too.

Being in the UK i can say [name]Rory[/name] is a pretty normal celtic name, Scottish/[name]Ireland[/name].

Being in the UK I can say I don’t often see it spelled [name]Ruari[/name]. :slight_smile: That’s the original spelling.