Birthday-Specific Baby Names

Does anybody else have any names that they could/would only use for babies born at specific times of the year?
Mine usually come with mythological reasonings.
I have [name_f]Thallo[/name_f] and [name_f]Idony[/name_f] as strong contenders for future twin girls, named for the goddess of the coming of spring and of the apples of youth in greek and norse mythologies respectively. Thus, I don’t think I could use them for babies born any time other than the beginning of [name_f]Spring[/name_f].
I couldn’t name a baby girl who wasn’t a Virgo [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] - although if I have one who is, [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] is certainly jumping to the top of the list (after the goddess of justice and innocence who ascended to the heavens to become the constellation Virgo after getting tired of man’s wickedness).
There are some more subtle ones too that might not inhibit me as much - I would want to use [name_f]Nyx[/name_f] on a baby born at night-time and [name_f]Eos[/name_f] on one born at dawn.
Then there are [name_f]October[/name_f] and [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f], which I don’t know what to do with…

1 Like

YES! I’ll be back later to go into detail and unpack a bit.

3 Likes

When I made my astrology-themed signatures last year, I fell in love with two names from my [name_m]Leo[/name_m] collection. If I have B/G twins who are [name_m]Leos[/name_m] they will be named [name_m]Leo[/name_m] Somerled and [name_u]Ari[/name_u] Lilivati, and that’s that on that.

3 Likes

Most of my names don’t really have anything to do with the calendar, but I do have [name_u]August[/name_u], and I’m like… should I only use it for an [name_u]August[/name_u] baby? Should I specifically avoid using it in [name_u]August[/name_u]? Would it be weird to use it in [name_u]July[/name_u], [name_f]September[/name_f], or [name_f]May[/name_f]?

4 Likes

June. I’d only use it in [name_u]June[/name_u] or [name_f]May[/name_f]. The only other time I’d consider using it is in my [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] combo, to honor my mom, but I’d probably only use that in [name_u]June[/name_u] or [name_f]May[/name_f], too.

1 Like

I think for obvious meanings (literal names of days, months, or times), I might be more careful. While I don’t think it is necessary to be born at a certain time to have that associated name, I gather that people might ask when you were born and it may be frustrating to correct them. That doesn’t mean they aren’t usable, though!

For names with meanings associated with birthdays that most people might not know, I don’t think it matters too much. Ideally one would want the meaning to make sense for their child, but that shouldn’t keep you from using a name one loves.

Besides, one’s birthday isn’t always the most important day in one’s life. The name may gain new meaning over a lifetime.

3 Likes

I love [name_f]October[/name_f], and while I’m not sure if I’d actually use it, if I did it would pose the question of when to do so. If it was used in [name_f]October[/name_f], would that be seen as uncreative? If it was used other times, would it be confusing? I think I would be most comfortable using it if I had some particular reason to honour something that happened in [name_f]October[/name_f], or if I was honouring someone who was born/passed away in [name_f]October[/name_f].

1 Like

Part of me was hoping for a daughter born on or around St. [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]’s [name_u]Day[/name_u], that way I could use [name_f]Clover[/name_f] as a first or middle name

4 Likes

This is sort of a mixed bag for me.

On the one hand, I like the idea of being able to finalize a naming decision because of a factor like birthday. [name_f]Imagine[/name_f] not being able to choose between [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_u]June[/name_u], then bam the kid is born in [name_f]May[/name_f] so you name them [name_f]May[/name_f].

On the other hand, as a kid I spent so much time and energy trying to define my identity through various means - birth month, birthstone, zodiac sign, name meaning - and I hate the idea of making one of those meanings completely redundant… but I also recognize that there are LOTS of names with pointless/silly meanings that kids might be happier not having.

The one thing I am certain of (for myself) is that if I gave my kid some sort of date-based name ([name_f]April[/name_f], [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]) that I would want them to actually match up with when the kid was born to avoid confusion. [name_m]Just[/name_m] keeping my ducks in a row!

2 Likes

I love the name [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] but I don’t feel like it would work for a winter baby, same with [name_f]Flora[/name_f]

Klaus feels like it should be a winter baby though

2 Likes

Generally, [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]-themed names. I think [name_u]Holly[/name_u], [name_u]Noel[/name_u], [name_f]Natalia[/name_f], etc. feel more appropriate in [name_u]December[/name_u]. Most floral names feel most appropriate in the spring or summer, but they are not unusable at other times. Otherwise, not really too big a deal in my mind. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In Ghana, children are commonly given names based on the day they were born. For example, [name_m]Kwame[/name_m] means “[name_m]Born[/name_m] on a [name_m]Saturday[/name_m]”, [name_m]Kofi[/name_m] is for [name_m]Friday[/name_m], and [name_f]Abena[/name_f] for [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f].

3 Likes

Exactly the same! I like [name_u]August[/name_u] but I go back and forth on whether it would be weirder to be an [name_u]August[/name_u] born in [name_u]August[/name_u] or an [name_u]August[/name_u] born in, say, [name_f]October[/name_f]. Also, I’m a [name_f]Julia[/name_f] born in [name_u]July[/name_u] which further complicates things :frowning:

2 Likes

If we had been born a day later, my sister would have been “[name_f]Natalia[/name_f]” ([name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u]). I love it! My mom & grandparents know a woman who was born on Christmas Day and is named Mary, but spelled Merry.

Also, I think a lot of nature names are best as spring baby names. If you’re into unusual nature names, you could use the birthstone as a name!

I know! It feels weird either way. If August is born in August, that just sounds unoriginal and lame. If August is born some other month, it’s like…but why?? you’re not even born in August??

August, born in July, is my cousin. :slight_smile: Also, no, his due date was not in August.

2 Likes

Sorry it took a minute to make my way back.

When I was pregnant I made a list of special date names. Had my son (or daughter as we were team green so I did 2 names for most of the dates) been born on one of those special dates, his name would likely have been different as we would have strongly considered the “special” aspect of the day and gone with the name I had considered for the day.

There were 17 special dates, most of which were accompanied by both a special girl name and a special boy name. They spanned from [name_u]August[/name_u] 7 to [name_f]September[/name_f] 23, essentially 3 weeks before and after my duedate (I was willing to go that long without inducing). Some were Astrology or Chinese zodiac related ([name_u]August[/name_u] 7, the date that started things off, was the start of Chinese autumn that year, for instance) or minor holidays (Chinese Ghost Festival, Qixi Festival, [name_u]Harvest[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f], Fall Equinox). Some were based on a birthdate, death date, or marriage in my family history (big family history nerd here) and would have aimed to honor those ancestors. Some were just based on dates - [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] or [name_m]Octavius[/name_m] would have been the first name for [name_u]August[/name_u] 8.

My personal favorite would have been had the babe been born during that big total solar eclipse that was a few days before my duedate ([name_u]August[/name_u] 21). He would have been [name_m]Horatio[/name_m] [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] [name_m]Apollinaire[/name_m] (“time of the empty sun”). The corresponding girl name was [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] (cassio=empty; peia=making/producing; [name_f]Helen[/name_f]=bright light/torch; so “producing empty light”).

Alas… he was just born on a “regular” day and therefore I got to use my favorite name combo that I had chosen years and years earlier for my firstborn male part kid… bummer. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I also like the idea of [name_f]Agrippina[/name_f] or the like for a breech baby, or [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] for a baby born during a blizzard.

I would definitely take into account special weather events during labor or uncanny timing (born exactly at midnight, or the like).

I plan on doing the same thing for my final babe. It was fun, cuz… name nerd and total overplanner. A bit of a roulette, but without repurcussive consequence.

6 Likes

@hyacinthbucket Wow, thank you! I aspire to put that much thought into my children’s names.

2 Likes

I would use my names regardless of the time ([name_u]Noel[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]April[/name_f] are my favorite time-specific names, but again, I would use them regardless)

4 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite name for a future daughter is [name_f]October[/name_f], and while it would be nice if she was born in her namesake month, I would use it year-round with the possible exception of [name_f]September[/name_f] and, to a lesser extent, [name_u]November[/name_u], just because I could see that getting annoying.

But to me, as far as month names go, [name_u]August[/name_u] can be born in [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u] can be born in [name_u]December[/name_u], [name_u]January[/name_u] can be born in [name_u]July[/name_u], etc. There are some names that I can see being very time-specific ([name_f]Noelle[/name_f], [name_u]Holly[/name_u], I’m looking at you), but for me, for the most part, I think it’s a nice bonus rather than a requirement. Plus, it has the potential for being a better conversation starter than just “[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]October[/name_f] because I was born in that month.”

2 Likes

Haha. It can be difficult to be inside my mind at times, honestly. But for the most part, when it comes to names at least, I love my obsessive nature. But the gears have already been turning for a long time for the timing of my final pregnancy, which has not even started yet… I am so eager to find out when they’ll be born!!

3 Likes