Bit of a longshot... 'bi-lingugal' names.

[name]Hi[/name] all!

First post here.

I am a British woman living in Germany with my [name]German[/name] husband. We are looking for names of either sex. There are complications! The name…

1. Has to be pronounced more or less the same in both languages, allowing for accent. This rules out names containing ‘th’ and ‘j’ and sometimes, ‘r’.
  2. Has to be spelt the same way in both languages. So no hard 'c’s.
  3. Has to be known as a name in both languages.
  4. Cannot be a noun.
  5. Cannot be too out dated in either language.
  6. Cannot be too popular in either.
  7. Cannot be too mega-new and unique.

Ok. Is anyone still with me?

We actually navigated this minefield once and landed on [name]Lucia[/name], which we both love. I have a few beloved names in my signature, some of which would be suitable. I am hoping that someone might be able to add a few!

I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

Let’s see, I went on forvo.com and used the [name]German[/name] female name section to help think of some names that sound similar in [name]German[/name]/English. I have no idea what is considered dated or popular in Germany or the UK, so these may be way off base.

[name]Adriana[/name] (I don’t know if this is a traditional [name]German[/name] name or not, but it was listed in [name]German[/name], and sounded very similar to the English pronunciation)
[name]Martina[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Silvia[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] (same as [name]Adriana[/name])

Other names that might work (though I don’t know how they are said in [name]German[/name], just looked on behindthename.com)
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Antonia[/name]
[name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Gloria[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Lara[/name]
[name]Leona[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Renata[/name]
[name]Saskia[/name]

I have absolutely zero knowledge of [name]German[/name], but I’ll try, remembering your rules.
Girls:
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Amalie[/name]/a
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Elisabeth[/name] (Clearly more common than you’d like, but you can use any number of more unique nicknames- Sab, [name]Libby[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Bess[/name], [name]Beth[/name], etc.)
[name]Gisela[/name]
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Susanna[/name]

Boys:
[name]Alexander[/name] (Like [name]Elisabeth[/name], you could use a nickname like [name]Axel[/name] or [name]Xander[/name] to make it more unique)
[name]Adrian[/name]
[name]Amedeo[/name] (don’t know if this works in [name]German[/name], but I absolutely love it with [name]Lucia[/name])
[name]Anton[/name]/[name]Antony[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Gregory[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]MAthias[/name]
[name]Max[/name]
[name]Niko[/name]/[name]Nikolai[/name]
[name]Paul[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]William[/name]

You said no soft c, but then [name]Lucia[/name] has one? I mean, I speak [name]German[/name], so I think it’ll work, it’s just now I’m confused : D!
[name]How[/name] bad is it if they’re said a little differently? Also, when I lived in Germany, while some people called me Yessica, plenty were able to say the J and went with [name]Jessica[/name] (majority, in fact).

Anyway, plenty of these would be a little different but maybe not so bad? Same thing with regard to datedness…
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Beata[/name] (problem is English ears wont’ be that familiar, but it’s prn the same)
[name]Erica[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Katrina[/name] (very similar?)
[name]Maria[/name] (very similar)
[name]Mia[/name] (very similar)
[name]Leonie[/name] (and in general a lot of French names will be similar…b/c it’s not native to either language!)
[name]Naomi[/name] (probably very different culturally, though)
[name]Nina[/name] (very similar)
[name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Susanna[/name]

Thanks for the replies!

[name]Just[/name] to clarify, jesba, I said ‘no hard cs’ as in my own name, [name]Victoria[/name], which is often spelt with a K here.

I love some of these! Especially [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Gloria[/name], [name]Viola[/name] and [name]Amedeo[/name]!

[name]Heidi[/name] was the first name to come to mind. It’s [name]German[/name] but known in English. It’s not too popular in the US (I don’t know about [name]Britain[/name]) and was ranked #303 for 2010, which is known but not too popular so it’s not dated, either.

[name]Ah[/name]: brain fry on hard c/ soft c : D. [name]Hope[/name] something here is helpful. Good luck!

[name]Francesca[/name], [name]Elisabeth[/name], [name]Julia[/name]/[name]Julianna/name, [name]Willa[/name], [name]Giselle[/name]/[name]Gisela[/name], [name]Gilda[/name], [name]Katharine[/name], [name]Karoline[/name], [name]Helene[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]Louisa[/name]/[name]Luisa[/name], [name]Rosamund[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], [name]Theodora[/name], [name]Kirsten[/name], [name]Hanna/name, [name]Isolde[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Brigitte[/name].

[name]Alexander[/name], [name]Anders[/name], [name]Bernard[/name]/Bernd, [name]Christoph/name, [name]Louis[/name], [name]Daniel[/name], [name]Michael[/name], [name]Ernst[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Christian[/name], [name]Martin[/name], [name]Matthias[/name], [name]Maxim[/name], [name]Edmund[/name], [name]Emil[/name], [name]Erling[/name], [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Jakob[/name], [name]Karl[/name], [name]Konrad[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Robert[/name]/[name]Rupert[/name], [name]Richard[/name].