Bjorn - What do you think?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] wondering what people thought of the name [name_m]Bjorn[/name_m] for a boy with no Scandinavian links whatsoever!

We love it!

I think it’s slightly unusual to name your son [name_m]Bjorn[/name_m] without any Scandinavian links, but if you love it go for it! I had the same exact thing: I have always loved the name [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] but have no [name_m]German[/name_m] roots. [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] has faded a bit from my favorites for other reasons anyways, but I decided its not because of the no-[name_m]German[/name_m] heritage thing. Good luck!

Hm. Not sure how I feel about it without any Scandinavian links. I imagine a lot of people (at least in the USA) wouldn’t know how to say or spell it correctly.

I think our name choices have become very “international” so I don’t see a problem with it although some people would assume you had some connection to Scandanavian countries. If that wouldn’t bother you and you love it, then use it. [name_m]Bjorn[/name_m] is a well known name and [name_f]IMO[/name_f], people use [name_u]Luca[/name_u], [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], [name_u]Kieran[/name_u], [name_u]Andre[/name_u], [name_m]Matteo[/name_m], and so many others across all nationalities that I wouldn’t expect it to be an issue.

I think the “no links” thing is becoming less of an issue with the way people are naming nowadays. There are people that use Italian names without being Italian. As long as it isn’t a name that is sacred/special to a religion or group, then I don’t see an issue with it. If we all had to stick to names that were used by our heritage, it would get pretty boring.

I think, at least newer parents, would be more likely to connect it to the baby carrier which I don’t see as a problem either.

I love [name_m]Bjorn[/name_m] a lot! I’ve been thinking about adding him to my own list, although I’m about 1/5 Scandinavian.

On the one hand, I would be happy to see anyone using [name_m]Bjorn[/name_m] (it’s such a cool name!), but on the other hand, I would find it a bit odd if they had no tie to Scandinavian culture. Then again, names are diversifying, like others have said, and if little girls with no tie to [name_f]Italy[/name_f] can be named [name_f]Fiammetta[/name_f] or [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], then why not a little boy [name_m]Bjorn[/name_m] with no ties to Scandinavia? I’m sure people would get over their initial surprised reaction. I know much more people with unusual names than popular ones, and so if I’m surprised by an unusual name, it’s more of a “oh, really? [name_m]How[/name_m] unexpected. That’s cool!” than “Oh, really?! What were you thinking? [name_m]Bjorn[/name_m] is so dumb for a non-Scandinavian family!” :wink:

Good luck!

To add a point to my comments, I also think it depends on the surname your child will have. Is it common name where you live or is it very [name_m]French[/name_m], Russian, Scottish sounding (for example), then putting [name_m]Bjorn[/name_m] in front of it may sound a little off as for example Bjorn O’Malley or Bjorn Sudnitski.

Handsome name…

it is ok I guess. I am scandinavian and would however think that a child named [name_m]Bjorn[/name_m] had a scandinavian mum or dad, so I guess I would be very surprised if someone with no roots like that named their baby this. BUt really, these days I am not sure if it mattters that much but people may not really be familiar with how to pronounce this name correctly (except in Scandinavia of course) - something to keep in mind

I like [name_m]Bjorn[/name_m]. There’s no rule saying that only people with a certain background can use a certain name; I have lots of “foreign” names (including Scandi) on my own list. Naming is definitely getting more international and I think girls names have basically already become internationalised. Why not the boys too?