Black Lives Matter

Hey guys,

Please post and share anything helpful to the [name_m]Black[/name_m] Lives Matter movement. Sometimes you feel like you’re not making enough of a difference, but sharing information that could potentially help people understand the cause is so important. I don’t have social media and I don’t use Nameberry much, but since I have an account on here I thought I’d use it as I know that it could help.

I recently read about Oluwatoyin Salau and I couldn’t bare to read about what happened to her, so I’m doing whatever I can to help. Let’s use this space to share our information.

Here are some things I think could be useful.

Cosmopolitan Explaining [name_m]Black[/name_m] Lives Matter to parents: (https://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/a32744228/black-lives-matter-explained-to-parents/). If the link doesn’t work, I’m sorry, this whole things might be a futile attempt, but I’m gonna try anyway. Plus, what I entitle it, could be useful to search up on your own.

Cosmopolitan 25 Fake Reports About the Nationwide [name_u]George[/name_u] [name_m]Floyd[/name_m] and [name_m]Black[/name_m] Lives Matter Protests, Debunked (https://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/a32729926/george-floyd-protest-fake-rumors-debunked/).

Also this post helped me realise how insane the situation really was:

I have privilege as a white person because I can do all of these things without thinking twice:
I can go birding (#ChristianCooper)
I can go jogging (#AmaudArbery)
I can relax in the comfort of my own home (#BothemSean and #AtatianaJefferson)
I can ask for help after being in a car crash (#JonathanFerrell and #RenishaMcBride)
I can have a cellphone (StephonClark)
I can leave a party to get to safety (JordanEdwards)
I can play loud music (JordanDavis)
I can sell CDs (AltonSterling)
I can sleep (AiyanaJones)
I can walk from the corner store (MikeBrown)
I can play cops and robbers (TamirRice)
I can go to church (Charleston9)
I can walk home with Skittles (TrayvonMartin)
I can hold a hair brush while leaving my own bachelor party (SeanBell)
I can party on [name_u]New[/name_u] Years (OscarGrant)
I can get a normal traffic ticket (SandraBland)
I can lawfully carry a weapon (PhilandoCastile)
I can break down on a public road with car problems (CoreyJones)
I can shop at Walmart (JohnCrawford)
I can have a disabled vehicle (TerrenceCrutcher)
I can read a book in my own car (KeithScott)
I can be a 10yr old walking with our grandfather (#CliffordGlover)
I can decorate for a party (#ClaudeReese)
I can ask a cop a question (#RandyEvans)
I can cash a check in peace (#YvonneSmallwood)
I can take out my wallet (#AmadouDiallo)
I can run (#WalterScott)
I can breathe (#EricGarner)
I can live (#FreddieGray)
I CAN BE ARRESTED WITHOUT THE FEAR OF BEING MURDERED (#GeorgeFloyd)
White privilege is real. Take a minute to consider a [name_m]Black[/name_m] person’s experience today.
#BlackLivesMatter
*I copied and pasted this … please do the same.

Share anything that has helped you understand BLM.

Also the phrase: ALL LIVES CAN’T MATTER UNTIL BLACK LIVES DO

I think that’s a really powerful, clear statement.

30 Likes

Some petitions and gofundmes to donate to:

Donate for free on YouTube:

8 Likes

the instagram justiceforgeorgefloyd has been a really wonderful source these past few weeks!

4 Likes

So good to see a national conversation and a time of introspection surrounding these issues. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

exactly!

All people are equal and should be treated as such, it is so horrible to see people not understanding that. Everyone deserves to be respected.

8 Likes

Resources: https://blacklivesmatter.com/resources/

1 Like

1 Like

I believe we should respect everyone, regardless of skin colour.

3 Likes

We can’t be equal if we are only focusing on one skin colour, that’s not how equality works.

5 Likes

@CaveIron27

Of course equality is the goal, but “All Lives Matter” is a dismissal of the very real danger and discrimination that black people experience every day due to the colour of their skin.

If you were fundraising for breast cancer following the death of a relative, and someone shouted you down with “All Cancers Matter”, would that feel fair? Would that feel relevant to the point you were trying to make?

Here is an article that explains the dangers of the “All Lives Matter” slogan better than I ever could.

No one is saying that ONLY black lives matter, that other lives don’t matter just as much. The point is to highlight the dangers disproportionately facing black lives.

20 Likes

Hi katinka. Thanks for the reply, you make a very good point. Stuff like this is confusing, I always try and do what I think is right and then if feels like it’s wrong.

Have a great day :).

4 Likes

I think the most important thing now is to listen with an open mind and not shut down conversations.

7 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:, I’ll keep that in mind!

4 Likes

Learn about, join and donate:

CampaignZero:

[name_m]Black[/name_m] Mamas Matter:

Colorofchange Education fund:

National bailout fund:
https://www.nationalbailout.org/

Source:

3 Likes

Educational resources, petitions to sign, and organizations/funds to donate to here

2 Likes

Also check out this [name_m]Black[/name_m] Lives Matter article by Nameberry itself ! :

2 Likes

This is horrible. [name_m]How[/name_m] can people not understand that skin color is just a physical trait like hair color or eye color. I have heard people being ashamed of being white as I have heard of people killed for being black. THIS IS NOT OK!!! Why do people care so much about the color of their skin!!! Honestly, the US is an absolute MESS and it’s not going to clean itself up!!!

7 Likes

Because it can make you more likely to be killed, more likely to go to jail and for longer, have worse access to health care or worse health outcomes, be less likely to get proper representation in films and tv shows etc etc… Skin colour not ‘mattering’ can’t happen until countries have open and honest conversations about their histories and work to actively tackle racism.

White ‘shame’ is not racism, it’s something those individuals need to work through themselves, and realise that they’re NOT at fault for their country’s history, but that the colour of their skin does make their life experiences different and afford them certain privileges, and that they can help to make change. You can be very proud of some things your ancestors did and be ashamed of others. Living ancestors are kinda the same, my parents and ancestors did and believed some things that were wonderful, and some that were just stupid.

3 Likes

I agree.

It shouldn’t be that way though. Skin color shouldn’t matter. Everyone has to become more acceptant. I’ve been thinking, couldn’t this ALSO be another type of racism? One where you discriminate people depending on wether they are rich or poor?

Yes, there are big issues with class divide where poor people don’t have access to similar things as well. This is no secret or no new idea though. Look into Sociology, it’s a brilliant subject :heart_eyes: