Blog topic suggestions?

[name]Do[/name] you have any blog topics you’ve been thinking would be interesting for us to address?
Also, if you have any special expertise, or a really interesting story about how you decided on your child’s name or about your own name–we’re always open to guest blog possibilities.

• [name]Baby[/name] namers remorse and/or changing a baby’s name after they are born. There have been several members who have gone through this and it always seems to attract a lot of interest.

A few ideas for blog posts I’d like to read:

• names of the Renaissance period, especially female names
  • names in operas, operatic names
  • names of Colonial [name]America[/name] (founding fathers & mothers’ names)

Thanks!

[name]Deirdre[/name]–if you search the blog archive, you’ll see that we did do one on opera names back on [name]April[/name] 16th…

I’d love to read a blog on the most unusual and surprising names in the most cool areas of Manhattan, [name]West[/name] L.A., and [name]London[/name]. I’m sure that new name trends emerge every year, so that would be interesting.
I will put on my thinking cap and see if I can think of some more ideas.

I loved the blog today on birth announcements in [name]Dublin[/name] and would like to see more announcements or popularity rankings from different countries.

I don’t have any suggestions for things for you to feature, I think you’re a lot more creative than I would have been already ^^

I can offer some expertise on Norwegian names though, or names only used in Norway for some reason…
I’m working on a list of names only used in Norway/of Norwegian origin that would fit into an English speaking world like Ovidia or Ellisiv, I’d be happy to share, although I only have the girls ready as of today… ^^
Keep up the good work!

I think that it would be interesting to do a blog at the beginning of each zodiac “season” on baby names that would fit the sign. [name]Fire[/name], [name]Earth[/name], Water, [name]Air[/name]… but that fit the qualities of each sign. Maybe split it into two days for girls and boys.

I would like see a blog on the differences in the naming styles in every region of the U.S.

I second that. I love reading about names that distinctly “Californian” or “Texan” or “New [name]York[/name]” or “Midwest” or “Southern”… “Southwest”… etc.

Not just names that are the most popular in those areas (even though that would be interesting), but names that are a stereotype for the regions.

I think baby namer’s remorse would be interesting; also, I’d like to see some more birth announcements, too- I loved that!

And a blog on some stellar sibset names.

This is kind of like what [name]Susan[/name] said, but I’d be very interested in articles on the areas that set naming trends in motion, such as [name]Park[/name] Slope and [name]West[/name] LA. Examining ethnic naming trends in detail (e.g., comparing South [name]Asian[/name] American trends to [name]East[/name] [name]Asian[/name] American trends or exploring trends among interracial/interethnic/interfaith couples) would be an interesting topic too. Also, I really like names from mythology – maybe you could cover the names of lesser-known mythological features?

So many good ideas! Keep 'em coming!

I really like the idea of a zodiac themed blog. My sister (dotsmom) and I have been interested in astrology since we were young (more as a game than anything else) but would always ask people what their sign was and nod in unison with an “Ohhhhhh…” like that explained everything. Lol. Ok, so we still do that. Somehow, we (and our brother and dad) all coincidentially have names that “fit” our signs. Mine [name]Libra[/name], hers Pisces and his [name]Leo[/name]. Our mom does too, if you go down to the root of her name - hers was an invented name. We always thought that was pretty cool. When my sister was picking out names for her daughters last month, I kept throwing “scorpio” names at her. 2 out of 6 worked! [name]Eloise[/name] (if you use the root [name]Louise[/name]) and [name]Matilda[/name] are both under this list I found of [name]Scorpio[/name] names - the rest of the names - not so much.
I might be able to help you with some listing ideas if needed. I am pretty much a dork when it comes to astrology. :slight_smile: If you are interested in guest blogs, you might ask my sister when things settle down, as I think her solution to using pretty much every name she could think of that she liked was pretty awesome.

I’d like to see more names of the [name]Fairy[/name] Tale/Nursery Rhyme variety.

I also REALLY enjoy the birth announcements.

Another idea:

Occupation names: not like [name]Butcher[/name], [name]Tanner[/name], [name]Carter[/name], etc.

But kind of like, what would an architect name their baby? Or a teacher? Or a lawyer? [name]Doctor[/name]? Musician? if they wanted it to fit their profession.

There was a post about architecture names and although some of the names are kind of obsurd, it was fun listing word associations that could become names.

So, I would like to know how long it takes before an invented name is no longer considered invented with examples of names that were invented but are considered established names now.

This actually comes from a conversation I had with DH. When we had our DD he was vying for [name]Kairi[/name] which is a name from a video game and he has not let go of the name either. I told him that even though he didn’t invent it, it still seems invented. He told me “who cares? [name]Every[/name] name is invented at some point!” I told him that while that was true, I still didn’t like it. At that point he pointed out that my mn and my dd’s mn “Lareese” is an invented name. It is, sort of. My g-g-grandma wanted to name my g-grandma after her brother [name]Reese[/name] but thought it was too masculine (ha, see how far we have come??), so she added a “La” to the front and named her [name]Ava[/name] Lareese. The Lareese mn has been passed down since then. I am the fourth Lareese and my DD is the fifth. So, I told my husband that I don’t considered it “invented” anymore because it had been used for five generations now. He didn’t agree with me because it is not a generally known name. He, unfortunately, has a point. So, I thought a few examples of established names that started out “invented” might help me figure out the criteria for converting an invented name to established.

I would love to have Nameberryites write guest blogs about their personal stories such as:
When they had their babies and what they named them and why.
Why they love the names they love along with a list of the names they love.
What made them love names so much.
I would love to see pictures, too!

Popular (or less popular) names that have unfortunate meanings in other countries / languages.

Like how in the UK you would never name your children [name]Fanny[/name], [name]Randy[/name], or [name]Willy[/name]…even [name]Jesse[/name] on a boy is asking for trouble.

Someone mentioned in another post about [name]Mignon[/name] sounding very silly in French because of its every day meaning - more stuff like that would be interesting.

My paramedic friend told me about her friend who had just named her new daughter [name]Melina[/name] - she didn’t have the heart to tell her that in medical terms ‘melena’ is the word used to describe black, tarry stool.

If a name that I’m considering for my child sounds beautiful to me but literally means poo, or worse, in another language I’d really want to know! :slight_smile: