Blog topic suggestions?

Oh yes, I agree! :slight_smile:

I’d love to read more personal stories, as well as more on mythological names (some of my personal favourites) and perhaps cosmological names, e.g. constellations, [name]Luna[/name], [name]Selene[/name] etc. - I’d be happy to send you my very extensive list of names and meanings, if you like.

Also, perhaps more on how to get to nicknames? I notice a lot of posts searching for ways to get to, say, [name]Effie[/name].

I really think there should be a blog on common mistakes made when people try to use French names, too - as Canadienne mentioned, [name]Mignon[/name] seems very strange to a French-speakern especially as it is grammatically incorrect for a little girl

I always love the blogs where you take an over-used name & re-invent it…a variation of that is always appreciated(: We were talking on here earlier this week about teen name loving (I myself being a teen), so that’s always a possibility, I guess (see “Obsessive Teen Name Loving” post under Name Talk). I also love to hear your perspective on names–say, certain names that have been recently talked about more & what type of personality the name has.
Whatever is written will be fun to read(:

• NameGoddess

Medieval Names

What about The Forbidden Names?

For Example I love, love, love [name]Adolphus[/name], however it is very close to [name]Adolf[/name]. What is the effect of a namesake with such a history? Are some names taboo?.. Offensive?

[name]Adolphus[/name] - It is not like I am naming him Voldemort is it?
[name]Bellatrix[/name] - [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]
[name]Ursala[/name] - The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid
[name]Homer[/name] - Most everyone immediately thinks of a drunk, yellow man eating dougnuts in Springfield.
[name]Attila[/name] - Always to be followed by “the hun” ?

I second this!!
Also [name]Salome[/name], [name]Jezabel[/name] and [name]Delilah[/name], even though I know people are using them in spite of their history…

I also second the one about medieval names, that would be awesome! Seriously!!

Fantastic idea! I love it.

I had started a thread a few weeks back called “Curious about naming customs & laws in different countries”, and several people answered to say they looked forward to seeing what others wrote in, but in the end, not that many people were able to contribute knowledge. That is, there was a lot more curiosity out there than there was actual knowledge of naming laws & cross-cultural/cross-national naming customs. I think this would make a great blog topic.

I’ve already shared my unique name story on the name boards and I just wrote a blog for Nameberry, but if you ever want me to, I could write a blog about how I’ve changed my name - twice!

Nicknames as full names. Like, why are nicknames as full names all the rage in the UK, while [name]North[/name] American’s still feel the need for longer, more formal names, with nicknames only as options.

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I’d love to read a blog about middle names. Like which middle names are most popular both in the US and UK or even popular mn’s in other countries.

Stripper names. :slight_smile:

– [name]Nephele[/name]
ducks and runs for cover

I have an idea for some topics at the end of this year/the start of the next one: Since we’re ending the current decade and beginning another one, maybe discuss some about the trends, new names, other name-related retrospectives over the past decade, etc. shortly before the end of the year. After the new year begins, maybe discuss some about projections of names and name trends over the next decade (the 2010s).

LOL! :slight_smile:

Hilarious!

Hilarious!!
But very interesting and definitely deserves a blog entry.
In a world that is becoming very quickly extremely mobile parents should really be aware of what some names mean in different languages/ countries.
My friend in [name]Berlin[/name] named her daughter [name]Fanny[/name] and I also did not have the heart to tell her (after the name was announced) what this means in the UK. She might have been brave and gone ahead with the name anyway but I think it’s always better to make an informend decision.

My friend Sissi (nn of [name]Sigrid[/name]) sadly can’t use her nickname anymore after moving from [name]Vienna[/name] to [name]London[/name]…
It might also be interesting to know why the cute name [name]Clio[/name] won’t catch on in Europe anytime soon: it’s the name of one of the most popular cars ([name]Renault[/name] [name]Clio[/name]).
I am sure there are a lot more examples - I would love to hear of them!

I think that’s a great idea. Like a decade over view

Hilarious!!
But very interesting and definitely deserves a blog entry.
In a world that is becoming very quickly extremely mobile parents should really be aware of what some names mean in different languages/ countries.
My friend in [name]Berlin[/name] named her daughter [name]Fanny[/name] and I also did not have the heart to tell her (after the name was announced) what this means in the UK. She might have been brave and gone ahead with the name anyway but I think it’s always better to make an informend decision.

My friend Sissi (nn of [name]Sigrid[/name]) sadly can’t use her nickname anymore after moving from [name]Vienna[/name] to [name]London[/name]…
It might also be interesting to know why the cute name [name]Clio[/name] won’t catch on in Europe anytime soon: it’s the name of one of the most popular cars ([name]Renault[/name] [name]Clio[/name]).
I am sure there are a lot more examples - I would love to hear of them![/quote]

I have one but it’s about a name that most people seem to love…

Objects of affection, as in [name]Ludwig[/name] van Beethoven’s Fur [name]Elise[/name]. [name]Elise[/name] would be a beautiful name.

Cowboy names! Names of the wild west, like [name]Wayne[/name].