Blog topic suggestions?

When a holiday of a particular nation comes up, a blog about the names of the people who influenced that occasion. Like independence day for the US, Mexico, etc. [name]Holiday[/name] names from all around the world
Names from events on that day in history. Like on the homepage of nameberry there is a link for a celeb born on that date.

Names from the art world, for example, [name]Mona[/name]

Yes, I’m really interested in this too. I’m Canadian but live in the UK now and it took me a while to put my finger on it but I’ve noticed a real difference over here in the way that people conduct themselves in professional / public settings as compared to [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name]. People in the UK seem to maintain a air of familiarity, even with strangers which is really quite different from what I’ve been used to. It’s like in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name] people tend to have at least two versions of themselves - one formal, one informal. There doesn’t seem to be such a need for this in the UK - perhaps this has something to do with the current fad for nicknames as complete first names. I’d be interested to know more about this.

With regards to the nicknames vs. longer names between the U.S. and U.K. issue, I posted at my blog (URL below) about this (and how 40 or so years ago it was reversed with Americans going for nicknamey names and the Brits going for more formality).
http://millennialkelly.blogspot.com/2009/11/usuk-on-longer-names-vs-nicknames-as.html

We’re still open for more suggestions of topics you’d like to see addressed in our blogs! Or if you know of anyone with expertise is some unusual aspect of naming, let us know!

In addition to my blog idea ([name]Linda[/name], I just sent an e-mail about that), recently I was visiting [name]Pam[/name]'s other site (http://www.pamelaredmondsatran.com) and noticed the novels that she has written. Maybe an idea for a blog if she wants to would be to describe how she came up with some of the names she used in her books.

Good idea, namefan!

It’s only loosely name-related, but I’ve always been curious about when titles are changed as a book/film crosses the Atlantic, e.g. [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] and the Philosopher’s [name]Stone[/name] (UK) to [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] and the Sorcerer’s [name]Stone[/name] (US), According to [name]Greta[/name] (US) to Surviving [name]Summer[/name] (UK).

It’s a long shot, but I’d love to read a blog by someone who is responsible for “translating” books/films as they cross the Atlantic (in either direction), and hear the reasons why some of these less obvious (i.e. not ‘lift’ to ‘elevator’) changes are made.

[name]Auburn[/name]

With President’s day coming a blog about Presidential names (I am thinking historical because I’m a historian–but it could also be names that sound Presidential) would be fun. [name]Dwight[/name], [name]Herbert[/name], [name]Grover[/name], etc. [name]Harry[/name] S. (S. being the whole middle name) and so on.

A new blog about the more obscure gods/goddesses would be fun. And maybe a series of [name]Prince[/name]/[name]Princess[/name] blogs? You can get some pretty fantastic names with a little digging back into European history.

T

I don’t know if either of these have been suggested but…

You could do a blog about less popular alternatives to really popular names, like [name]Isadora[/name] or [name]Isabeau[/name] instead of [name]Isabelle[/name]/[name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Sylvia[/name] or Slyvie for [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sophie[/name].

While I’ve never been through this but I’ve seen a lot of people post about how their partner/SO/spouse won’t contribute to the naming process or how they have totally different styles. A blog about how to deal with these issues could be helpful and interesting. Or someone who has been through this could write a guest blog about how they dealt with it.

Also, the pros and cons of keeping the name a secret vs. telling people.