Board for all vetoed names!

Part of naming your baby comes compromise. And rejection. Thought a good idea for a post is sharing all the names on your list that your partner veoted!

My hubby dissed:

[name]Agnes[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Maxine[/name], [name]Sasha[/name]
[name]Henry[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Clay[/name], and [name]Beau[/name]

:roll:

I’ll flip your question around a bit and share one that I’ve vetoed.

[name]Steven[/name] – ugh! My husband likes it but it is SO common for middle-aged guys where we live. There are 4 Steves in my department at work. The only possible way I’ll use it is as a middle name, but it’s kind of low on my list there too.

I don’t understand his love for this name at all. It’s not the name of an old friend, best friend, uncle, cousin or anything. He’s not attracted to its meaning and isn’t particularly into New Testament Bible names anyway. He just plain likes it.

The ones I’m saddest about my husband vetoing are:

[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Oona[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]

[name]Sterling[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]George[/name]

[name]Barnaby[/name]!

I vetoed
Snorri - yes, really 3x i’ve had to knock it back.
[name]Bronwen[/name]
[name]Rachael[/name]

He vetoed
[name]Luca[/name] - still trying with this one
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name] - glad of this one as I’ve gone off it
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Orion[/name]

no real girl’s names as we agreed on them.

My hubby vetoed [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Griffin[/name], [name]Corbin[/name], and [name]Tristan[/name].

Oh, and I forgot [name]Agnes[/name] and [name]Delilah[/name].

Very cool idea! :slight_smile: I cannot believe how many names my husband has vetoed! lol He’s so picky hahha! He has vetoed (among others)

GIRLS
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Aspen[/name]
[name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Autumn[/name]
[name]Ember[/name]
[name]Acacia[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
**and many more, but those are ones I was really hoping he’d like!

BOYS
[name]Bronson[/name]
[name]Devon[/name]
[name]Culver[/name]

**Although in his defense he says we could use (some!) of these as possible mn’s

I have vetoed:
GIRLS
[name]Aurora[/name] (love it, but it’s hard for me to say w/ the r’s so close together! esp w/ nn [name]Rory[/name]!)
[name]Tabitha[/name] (for some reason I have just never liked it, just nms)

Hubs has nixed:

[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Marla[/name]

[name]Jethro[/name]
[name]Thaddeus[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Osiris[/name]
[name]Ignatius[/name]
[name]Jago[/name]

I have vetoed:
Putter
[name]Terran[/name]

And yes, I’m dead serious about my husband’s obsession with the name Putter.

He vetoed:

Rosalind
Irene
Charlotte
Amy
Anna
Margaret

I vetoed:

Penelope (IMO, it doesn’t work with our last name which starts with a P)
Sarah
Ariel
Adrienne
Fiona

We tend to like the same boy names so we haven’t vetoed any of these.

I had to veto our back-up name, [name]George[/name], because I discovered my [name]SIL[/name] was hoping to use it. Only thing is, she’s also discussing lots of other names (now that’s she actually expecting). My husband is certain that they will a: have a girl (they won’t find out gender until about 5 weeks after ours is due) or b: she’ll change her mind and we’ll miss our chance (this is likely our last baby). I don’t think I’ll miss using it, but he still brings it up each and every time I say “Thought of any names lately?”

My hubby Hates the name [name]Liam[/name]. Only because of the [name]Liam[/name] character on Yahoo. He also hates [name]Teagan[/name] and [name]Tatum[/name].

I vetoed [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Travis[/name].

I still can’t get over my husband vetoing [name]Theron[/name].

I vetoed [name]Fifi[/name]. He vetoed [name]Elodie[/name]. All the other ones we agreed to veto together :slight_smile:

I’m a tween berry, so here are the ones my parents dissed: (but that doesn’t mean I won’t find a husband that <3s (loves) them!

Anastasia (mom)
Matilda (so sad…its my favorite…oh and it was my dad who dissed it)
Helen (both)
Agnes (dad)
Scarlett (mom)
Thea (mom…also one of my faves)

Names I vetoed from them:

Susan (from dad)
Anne (both…cause its my own name…but I <3 my middle name, Elizabeth)
Samantha (dad)

Fortunetly, my 5 year old brother has good taste in names (well…girls’ names. He said he’d name a future daughter Liliana Maria, but a future son…Gunnar Bomb)
But my mom and I also share some favorite names, like Adela, Tess, Charlotte, and Teresa! :slight_smile:

Oh, my SO has vetoed so many. The ones I was really upset about were [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Rue[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Helen[/name]/[name]Helena[/name], [name]Hero[/name], and [name]Sosie[/name] (he loves [name]Sophie[/name], so I offered this as a compromise, but no dice!) for girls. He nixed [name]Donovan[/name], [name]August[/name] (except if the baby was actually born in [name]August[/name], otherwise it “makes no sense”), [name]Logan[/name] (which sounds awful with his LN anyway), and [name]Seth[/name] for boys.

I vetoed:
[name]Roland[/name] (I actually love this name, but his LN is Hoagland and together it’s just horrendous)
[name]Jeremiah[/name]
[name]Sherman[/name]
[name]Jake[/name] and [name]Jack[/name] (popularity killed these for me)

[name]Joy[/name] (I knew a girl named [name]Joy[/name] who was really bad-tempered and rude to everyone!)
[name]Jodi[/name]
[name]Amy[/name]
[name]Sandra[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name] and [name]Katherine[/name] (both fine names, but he used to have crushes on girls named this)
[name]Carolyn[/name]/[name]Caroline[/name] (the name of my literally wicked stepmother)
[name]Rose[/name] (would still use as a middle name)

The only name I’m super sad about him vetoing is [name]Lochlan[/name]. I was in love with that name at the start of this pg and before it came up, I had managed to convince myself that it was totally his taste and he would love. [name]Alas[/name], not so.

Other boy names I’ve suggested and he disliked:
[name]Mercer[/name]
[name]Soren[/name]
[name]Gustav[/name]
[name]Leif[/name]
[name]Heinrich[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Pascal[/name]
[name]Josiah[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Linus[/name]
[name]Leonard[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Hendrik[/name]
[name]Dane[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Ludovic[/name]
[name]Hyrum[/name]
[name]Dov[/name]
[name]Linden[/name]
I also had a brief love affair with the name [name]Hieronymos[/name]. Really, I can’t imagine myself actually using it, but I love the nn Hiero. Dh likes the names [name]Rome[/name] and [name]Roman[/name], so I thought that [name]Jerome[/name] (a form of [name]Hieronymos[/name]) could work. The nns Hiero and [name]Rome[/name] would both work. But he vetoed it. Actually, that one was more mutual, but I might have gone for it if dh loved it.

The only girl names I remember really liking and him vetoing were [name]Meredith[/name] and [name]Mirabel[/name]. We have a [name]Miriam[/name] instead, and it was a good choice.

Boy names of his that I’ve vetoed:
[name]Artemis[/name]
[name]Vital[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Darius[/name]
[name]Flavian[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name]
Gethsemane
[name]Genesis[/name]
[name]Julian[/name] (I love [name]Jules[/name] and could use that nn, but I’m not sure I like [name]Julian[/name] enough to go for it)
Varian
[name]Magnus[/name] (not completely off the table, but I have a hard time imagining I will agree to it)
[name]Matthias[/name] (again, haven’t actually vetoed it, but since I don’t like the nn [name]Matt[/name], I likely wouldn’t use it)

The ones my fiancee vetoed for our future kids:
[name]Reverie[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Astrid[/name]
[name]Rafael[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Byron[/name]

Also the idea of using writing related middle names for all our kids. [name]Story[/name], [name]Fable[/name], Stanza, [name]Lyric[/name], and the like.

I vetoed:
[name]Steven[/name] (I’m a history student, [name]King[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] is all I think of)