Bodhi vs Bo

I have fallen for the name [name]Bodhi[/name]. I think it is different and kinda funky. My deceased FIL’s name was [name]Robert[/name], but as a child he went by [name]Bo[/name], so I think it’s neat that the baby could be named after him in a round-about way.
The only problem is … my nephew is called [name]Bo[/name] - they named him [name]Robert[/name] after my FIL and call him [name]Bo[/name].

Is [name]Bodhi[/name] too close to a cousin named [name]Bo[/name]? His parents are split and my [name]BIL[/name] lives out of town and we don’t see the kids often. [name]Just[/name] holidays and the occasional birthday. [name]Do[/name] you think my nephew would think it an honor to have a baby cousin “named after him” They’d be six years apart.

Thank you!

Honestly, I think the names are too close. [name]Bo[/name] and [name]Bodhi[/name] are just too similar for cousins in my opinion.

Could you refer to them as [name]Bo[/name] (middle name) and Bo(middle name) when together? We had a friend who shared my brother’s name, [name]Aaron[/name], growing up. We called them [name]Aaron[/name] [name]Douglas[/name] and [name]Aaron[/name] [name]Michael[/name]. It worked great!

Btw, my son’s name is [name]Bo[/name], short for [name]Boaz[/name]!

I adore the name [name]Bodhi[/name] too…I posted about it last week actually haha.

I hate to say this, but I do think they’re too close…I think it would get confusing not only for the kids, but for family members as well.

Definitely too close. I have cousins named [name]Laura[/name] and [name]Leah[/name], and that’s close enough to get people confused.

Would it matter if we never called him [name]Bo[/name]?
The family I married into has a tradition where the men all name their first born sons after themselves, so they have a whole pack of shared names. [name]Even[/name] a few kids who go by “[name]Junior[/name]”.
I was hoping that [name]Bodhi[/name] and [name]Bo[/name] wouldn’t been too out there for them!

For me personally, it’s too close. However, you need to make the choice for yourself. I would probably talk to [name]Bo[/name]'s parents to see if they would mind. If it’s something that doesn’t bother you (and his parents), go for it! Maybe if you decide you don’t like how close it is, you could have the middle name be Bohdi. Good luck!

Ahh! I think it’s perfectly fine! Go for it, I love [name]Bodhi[/name] and if you’re hardly ever going to see [name]Bo[/name] I think it’s okay. My mom has the exact first and middle name as one of her cousins but since they rarely see each other it’s never a problem!

If you never call [name]Bodhi[/name] [name]Bo[/name] (or at least never when [name]Robert[/name] “[name]Bo[/name]” is around it should be fine). Also it’s you FIL, not your nephew that you are naming [name]Bodhi[/name] after. Plus, [name]Bo[/name] will probably love having a little cousin named “after” him. I know one of my distant cousins and I share the same first name (it was totally by accident, our parents lost touch for a while). We rarely see either other, but when I was younger and we first met I thought it was so cool that her name was similar to mine (she goes by [name]Jenny[/name], I go by [name]Jenn[/name]).

Good luck!