Book Recommendations based on YOUR List

List books you like and wait for someone to come back to you with recommendations based on the books listed - exactly like how we do names. [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to add information on why you liked it to help someone recommend something similar :smiley:

I’ll start:

What books might I enjoy based on these? It doesn’t have to match up to everything.

• Wuthering Heights, [name_f]Emily[/name_f] Brontë : Extreme emotions, settings, relationships, Gothic, good moral
  • [name_f]Circe[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] [name_m]Miller[/name_m]: [name_m]Rich[/name_m] with imagery, Feminism, First person narrator
  • [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Wonderland: Abstract and imaginative
  • Wide Sargasso [name_u]Sea[/name_u]: Extremes, Interesting/ Exotic setting
  • The Handmaid’s Tale: Sci-fi, futuristic, [name_u]Strong[/name_u] morals

Then afterwards, if you’re looking for book suggestions, you can post some books that you’ve enjoyed too, the same as I have ^^ If you aren’t looking for books but want to answer just say: ‘answer above’.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps people! I know I am in serious need of book recommendations myself. I miss reading !!

1 Like

Sense and Sensibility by [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u], [name_m]Jame[/name_m] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] by [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] Brontë and The Woman in White by [name_m]Wilkie[/name_m] [name_u]Collins[/name_u] have similar themes to Wuthering Heights.

The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] by C.S [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] are similar to [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Wonderland in many ways.

If you like the Handmaid’s Tale, I seriously recommend reading Alias [name_f]Grace[/name_f] also by [name_u]Atwood[/name_u]! It’s based on the true story of female murderess [name_f]Grace[/name_f] Marks in 1850s [name_f]Canada[/name_f].

2 Likes

Okay cool! I think you should read:

• [name_u]Dune[/name_u], [name_m]Frank[/name_m] [name_m]Herbert[/name_m]: sci-fi/futuristic with a really strong Messianic fable undertone
  • [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u]: very dramatic yet accessible, pretty feminist imo
  • The Alchemist, [name_m]Paolo[/name_m] Coelho: another fable haha, but abstract and a super cool desert setting
  • The Goldfinch: really long but so dramatic and such a good study of human emotion and trauma; also the MOST beautiful setting
3 Likes

I love [name_f]Emma[/name_f]! It’s a wonderful novel xxx

4 Likes

Well, at school, we read Feed by MT [name_u]Anderson[/name_u]. I didn’t like the cussing, but it was powerful and I am so happy that I never had to actually read it for school (thanks corona?). I read it anyway, since it’s corona and I cannot read online, but that’s me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first thought is [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] Strange and Mr. Norrell by [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] [name_u]Clarke[/name_u]. It has much of the haunting, dark imagery, intense (non-romantic) central relationship, and themes of madness and despair of Wuthering Heights, a very strange and imaginative theme of magic (not exactly the same as [name_f]Alice[/name_f], but very magical nonetheless), and I love this book for so, so many reasons.

I am the Messenger, by [name_m]Markus[/name_m] Zusak (author of the Book Thief, another beautiful book) is an unusual and grounded version of a hero’s journey with first person narration that I can’t recommend enough.

The 13 Clocks, by [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Thurber[/name_m] is a children’s book that is both absurd and melancholy that for some reason I thought of when reading your list.

For a bizarre fairy tale retelling with its share of sadness, Wicked by [name_m]Gregory[/name_m] [name_m]Maguire[/name_m] is an interesting read.

The Prestige, by [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Priest[/name_m], is a twisting and surprising story about two stage magicians (with another very intense central relationship, non-romantic) that ends up being haunting and very strange and unexpected. The movie that was made of it is also very good.

Seconding the Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f], The Alchemist, [name_f]Emma[/name_f], and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f].

2 Likes

I’ll second [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] and [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] Strange and Mr Norrell as great matches for you.

I love everything by [name_u]Austen[/name_u] — imo the best writer in the [name_f]English[/name_f] language — but she’s very much a realist and not a romantic, in either the literary (Wuthering Heights) or modern (love story) use of the word romantic (despite what the movie adaptations make of her). But if you want her totally hilarious, mockumentary of a take down of wild-eyed romanticism, read [name_u]Love[/name_u] and Friendship, a book she wrote as a teen (her juvenilia) and never published. It’s extremely caddy, biting, and ridiculous in ways she never allows her adult fiction to be. It’s parts [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Wonderland too.

For books with a strong moral vision, read: 1984, Animal Farm, [name_u]Brave[/name_u] [name_u]New[/name_u] World, The Giver. If any of these were assigned to you in school, and lost there lustre, I’d give a second chance, as they’re each quite powerful.

For [name_f]Alice[/name_f]-like books, [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] Fforde has a few hilariously mixed up, abstract, and imaginitive series. The Nursery Crimes books toss all your favourite fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters into a blender. And the [name_m]Thursday[/name_m] Next series, starting with The [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] Affair, blend characters from across fiction.

[name_u]Douglas[/name_u] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] also captures the spirit of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the [name_f]Galaxy[/name_f], which not only is extremely funny but also a classic you’re going to have to read one day. :slight_smile:

Now it’s my turn.

I’m looking for a book like:
• [name_m]Poul[/name_m] [name_u]Anderson[/name_u]‘s The High Crusade — a space romp in which aliens visit earth in the 1300’s, and are hilariously defeated by medievals with almost no tech.
• [name_u]Connie[/name_u] [name_m]Willis[/name_m]’ [name_m]Black[/name_m] Out / All Clear and The Doomsday Book — powerful, gripping, very historically grounded, time travel adventures that explore deep themes, the former set in WW|| [name_f]England[/name_f], and the latter set in 1300’s plague [name_f]England[/name_f].
• C. [name_m]Walter[/name_m] [name_m]Hodges[/name_m] The Namesake and The [name_u]Marsh[/name_u] [name_m]King[/name_m] — children’s historical fiction, set in the time of [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], beautifully moving and impactful. Made Alfred one of my favourite characters in history, and gives tremendous hope for the future in even the darkest periods (in this case, the Viking invasion of England and destruction of everything).
• [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] Suitcliff’s The [name_u]Eagle[/name_u] of the Ninth series and The Armourer’s House — the former set during the decline of [name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_m]Britain[/name_m], and the latter in Elizabethan [name_f]England[/name_f], both extremely well written young adult fiction, bringing those worlds to life.
• [name_f]Jill[/name_f] [name_m]Patton[/name_m] [name_m]Walsh[/name_m]'s A Parcel of Patterns — set in a small town in 1660’s [name_f]England[/name_f], that goes into voluntary isolation when someone contracts the plague. So moving.
• And I’ll include one more, though it’s not quite as good as the others above, I very much loved reading a work of historical fiction set in the ancient world — Joanne Williamson’s Hittite Warrior — children’s historical fiction, exploring 1200BC.

Well… when I started writing this list, I had no intention to just list historical fiction. But I guess that’s where I’m at at the moment.

Trying to pull the threads together — I like seriously thoughtful, immersive historical fiction. It can be a seriously funny, sci-fi romp like The High Crusade or tear your heart out grief inducing like The Doomsday Book or A Parcel of Patterns.

2 Likes

Thanks all ! <3 I will look into those. I have read [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] and I did like it but I didn’t gel with it as well as I did with W/H. Still, I can see why it was recommended.

@tp_b Have you tried [name_u]Terry[/name_u] Pratchett? He comes to mind a bit in terms of comedy, young people’s fiction, history and also a book you recommended to me, i.e. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the [name_f]Galaxy[/name_f].

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried Pratchett in my teens, and something put me off - but I honestly don’t recall what.

@tp_b, the best immersive historical fiction book I’ve read this year is Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. This book is a skillfully told, documenting the lives of two sisters and their descendants, one sister staying in modern day Ghana and the other sister being sold into slavery in the United States, and eventually their descendants meeting up in the middle. It’s heartbreaking, vivid, complex, and very, very relevant, managing to tell both personal and universal stories in a variety of times and places.

1 Like

Sounds like a fantastic book. Very very keen to give it a try. Thank you so much!

You’ve reminded me, I read Pachinko earlier this year, a four generation saga about Koreans living in Japan, spanning late 1800’s to late 1980’s. The beginning was fantastic, but it unravelled a bit by the end and became a series of character sketches. It was also much too graphic in a few sections for my liking. Yet, powerful and eye-opening.

Very keen to read Homegoing now.

1 Like

Wizard of [name_m]Oz[/name_m], Through the Looking Glass, Summit [name_u]Lake[/name_u], and Jabberwocky! (I love [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Wonderland!)

1 Like

@12queen

Thank you! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any suggestions for the above user? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m fairly younger than everyone, so I have read none of the books @tp_b had listed. Sorry!

2 Likes

@12queen

That’s totally okay :smiley:

1 Like

A Parcel of Patterns is so good!! Fun fact, I went to Eyam (where the book is set) a few years ago and it’s so interesting there.
If you like Historical Fiction have you read [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] [name_m]Hall[/name_m] by [name_u]Hillary[/name_u] Mantel, or any of [name_f]Phillipa[/name_f] [name_m]Gregory[/name_m]’s novels based on [name_m]Tudor[/name_m] queens.
The Regeneration Trilogy is also good by [name_u]Pat[/name_u] [name_m]Barker[/name_m], based on the WW1 poet [name_m]Siegfried[/name_m] Sassoon’s time at Craiglockhart Psychiatric hospital.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I saw a bit of the [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] [name_m]Hall[/name_m] miniseries. I think my wife read it. I don’t know anything about the other series, so thanks!