Book recommendations

Hi! I’ve seen so many berries talk about books and it’s gotten me thinking that I want to start reading again. The problem is I don’t know where to pick up. The last book I read for pleasure was [name_u]Four[/name_u] (Divergent). Around that time I read The Hunger Games trilogy, all four Divergent books, [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Green[/name_u] books, and [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. I know I liked young adult books in middle school but I’m in college now so I need something new. The best part of a story for me is connecting to characters. Some of my favorite book characters (to give you an idea of what I’m looking for) are: [name_u]Dallas[/name_u] [name_m]Winston[/name_m] (the outsiders), [name_m]Draco[/name_m] Malfoy, [name_m]Finnick[/name_m] O’[name_f]Dair[/name_f], [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Eaton[/name_m]… kind of the “pretty, bad boy”. I’m reading [name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] aloud with my family right now. I don’t like books like the ones you have to read for school, where the sentences are run on and the words are long and outdated. I also don’t like books written in dialect. I’m honestly considering [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] at this point but don’t know if I can do it. TIA for the suggestions.

1 Like

Have you read any of [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] Rowell’s books? I loved Fangirl, but she has others too. Might be up your alley.

1 Like

I haven’t but I will look i to that. Thank you!

Seconding @ceryle’s suggestion of [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] Rowell. I’ve read all of her books, YA and the ones for adults, and they are all very accessible and well done.

I’m not much for pretty, bad boys, so I’ll try to suggest some books written for adults that are as accessible as YA.

Sarah [name_u]Addison[/name_u] [name_m]Allen[/name_m]- I don’t know if this is too soft for you, but she writes very enjoyable magical realism books for adults with some pretty fun characters.

If you like dystopian, you might like trying to read some of the classics if you haven’t: 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Brave [name_u]New[/name_u] World.

Gregory [name_u]Maguire[/name_u] writes fantasy for adults (mostly rewritten fairy tales) that are very interesting and a bit twisted; his most famous work is probably Wicked.

That’s what I have for now; I might come back later if I think of anything. I have to say, books with that character type are definitely a gap in my knowledge.

1 Like

I’m not sure on bad pretty boys but based on the books you’ve read, you seem to like fantasy, magic, and dystopian so from that, I’m thinking of:

Maggie Stiefvater’s [name_u]Raven[/name_u] Cycle, the Wolves of [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] Falls, and The [name_m]Scorpio[/name_m] Races
[name_m]Ender[/name_m]’s Game
ShadowHunters
Inheritence Cycle
Deltora [name_u]Quest[/name_u] (this is probably on the easier side of reading)
The Giver
[name_u]Dune[/name_u]
I also agree with the recommendation of the dystopian [name_u]Brave[/name_u] [name_u]New[/name_u] World.

Could also try using this thread Book Recommendations based on YOUR List

2 Likes

Have you read [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] Pullman’s Northern Lights?

I haven’t but thank you. I will look into it!

1 Like

It’s a British author and it’s been turned into a TV series over here with [name_u]James[/name_u] McAvoy. Atonement/split/X-Men some other films. It’s set in [name_m]Oxford[/name_m] [name_f]England[/name_f]. I think it was also adapted into a film with [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] Kidman. But I would read the books rather than watch the film. Really good fantastical story line. Up there with [name_u]Harry[/name_u] potter.

1 Like