Book Recommendations

Calling my fellow book lovers,

I’m looking for recommendations, please!

It’s (sadly) been years since I got completely sucked into a really great book series.

What fabulous series would you recommend in the fantasy / sci-fi / mythology style genres?? Please @ me your favourites!

Thank you :books: :kiss: :books: xx

Ps. I’ve never read [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and have been considering it, but I wonder if I am too old to appreciate it as much as I would have when I was a teen. Thoughts?

Too old to enjoy [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]?? (I’m 28)
  • Yep, that boat has sailed, sister!
  • Maybe, depends… do you like other YA books?
  • Nah, it’s great for all ages.
  • chants read it, read it, read it!

0 voters

1 Like

I read [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] with my mom the first time, and she enjoyed it more than me. I absolutely love [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and it’s an amazing series! [name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]’s really good too!

2 Likes

Unfortunately you listed the only three genres I rarely ever read. I’m a reality-based person at heart. However, I would encourage you to read the Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m] series, because the imagination and creativity of the books is something to behold, even as an adult. If you do choose to read them, please try to borrow them from a library or a friend, so that J.K. Rowling doesn’t profit, though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think that, even though you can tell [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] was aimed at a younger audience, the writing, characters, plot and world-building hold up to an extent where they’re enjoyable for all ages, as long as you don’t try to take them too seriously and like, compare them with classic literature aimed at adults or anything. Enjoy them for the fun, cozy story it is and you’ll have a good time! I second @seawillow about getting the books from a library or friend though.
I don’t read a lot of fantasy/sci-fi/mythology either, but I did enjoy The Song of [name_m]Achilles[/name_m] and [name_f]Circe[/name_f] by [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] [name_u]Miller[/name_u] (mythology) and as for fantasy: Tigana by [name_m]Guy[/name_m] [name_m]Gavriel[/name_m] [name_u]Kay[/name_u], The Goblin Emperor by [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_u]Addison[/name_u], The Healer’s Road by S.E. [name_m]Robinson[/name_m] and Fatemarked by [name_m]David[/name_m] [name_m]Estes[/name_m].

2 Likes

Okay, I don’t read many series in these genres, but here’s what I’ve got:

If you like satirical fantasy, try [name_u]Terry[/name_u] Pratchett’s Discworld novels- a set of books and smaller series all set within the same world. In the same vein for sci-fi, try the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the [name_u]Galaxy[/name_u] series.

For adult fairy tale retelling, try some of [name_m]Gregory[/name_m] [name_u]Maguire[/name_u]’s books- some are individual books and some are connected (like the Wicked series).

If you haven’t given the Lord of the Rings series a try (and related books), I would!

If you’re looked for light magical realism, I would reccomend [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_u]Addison[/name_u] [name_m]Allen[/name_m]’s books. While not a series, the books work pretty well when imagined in the same world.

Again, not a series, but I think [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_m]Butler[/name_m]’s sci-fi books are definitely worth a read. I also enjoyed Nisi Shawl’s Everfair!

If you like really well-crafted fantasy, although it is not a series (again, I’m sorry, but I recommend this book to everyone and it is over 800 pages long), but give [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] [name_u]Clarke[/name_u]’s Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. If you’re interested in a more serial format, there is a faithful and well done TV show version of the book.

If you’re interested in comics as a medium, there are some really great ones!

For contemporary comics, I like Ms. [name_u]Marvel[/name_u], The Runaways, Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Black Panther run, and The [name_u]Vision[/name_u] (2015-2016). These are pretty approachable for new comic readers and for those unfamiliar with [name_u]Marvel[/name_u] at large.

An ongoing web comic that I’m enjoying is Lore [name_m]Olympus[/name_m], a retelling of the myth of [name_f]Persephone[/name_f].

I’m not sure if any of these will be up your alley, but these are some of my favorites!

1 Like

I think it is primarily a series written for children but it has become a series for all ages. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter is called [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Mimi[/name_f]) mainly our to my love for the books when I was younger. There is so much to enjoy and of course you have the films and the Cursed Child sequel if you really get into it.

1 Like

I have to recommend the Wayfarer books by [name_f]Becky[/name_f] Chambers! They are technically not a series, just three companion books, but all build on the universe in which humanity has moved to space after earth becomes uninhabitable. There are aliens, adventures, romances, depth of cultures, and it’s so well written and makes you really root for the characters!! I’d start with The [name_m]Long[/name_m] [name_m]Way[/name_m] to a Small Angry Planet, for sure :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

This is awesome, y’all! Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@almostactually that’s a great list, thank you! I most definitely have read The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings, when I was about 13, I think.

1 Like