Book Recommendations

I thought it might be cool to make a thread where we can talk about books we’ve recently read and recommend them to others.

4 Likes

This is a good idea for a thread!
I recently read Heartless by Marissa Meyer. It’s a young adult fantasy novel and is about how the queen of hearts became well the queen of hearts. At first there was some weirdness since it is wonderland but I got used to it eventually. It has a nice romance and I love Jest, the court joker and Catherine’s, who was the main character, lover. Also had a lot of talk about pastries and other sweets that Catherine would make since she wanted to be baker.

spoilers

It was so sad at the end :sob: I knew it wasn’t going to have a happy ending because it is about how a villain became a villain, but it was so sad when Jest died. He was my favorite character and I almost cried. I was pretty mad that Catherine went back to the Kingdom of Hearts instead of leaving to go to Chess with Jest, but in her defense Mary Anne was in danger though because of this the Sister’s prophecy became true and Jest died while Catherine became the Queen of Hearts. Also I was pretty proud of myself because I predicted Peter’s wife being the Jabberwock.

2 Likes

i finished [name_u]Red[/name_u], White and [name_u]Royal[/name_u] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] by [name_u]Casey[/name_u] McQuinston a few days ago!

it was super good (easily my favorite book), i definitely recommend it

if you’re into humorous and mildly dramatic gay romance, you should totally read it. it’s about the president’s son, alex, falling for the prince of wales, henry <3

3 Likes

a good girls guide to murder by holly jackson, is one i just read recently and it is such a fast paced mystery. i loved the plot line so much!
also every last word by tamara ireland stone is very good!! shines light on different mental illnesses such as OCD. has unexpected twists!

2 Likes

These might be for younger age range, but my two favourite book series are

1. The Penderwicks! This is my CHILDHOOD! I loved this series with all my heart! It is about this family with four sisters, [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_u]Skye[/name_u], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and Batty. It’s about all the shenanigans that they get up to!

2. The Mysterious [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] Society
    I love this one! It’s adventure/mystery!

2 Likes

So happy to see these mentioned— love these!

I don’t have as much time to read as I’d like to, with four little children and my job, but I take the train to work and try to use that time to read.

Yesterday I finished The [name_u]Hummingbird[/name_u] by [name_m]Sandro[/name_m] Veronesi. I liked it, it’s a good read and I was very touched by some parts. I was a bit disappointed by the ending though. But I’d recommend it!

Here are a two of my favourites

None Shall Sleep by [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] [name_f]Marney[/name_f] - it’s a very interesting book about two teenagers hired into the behavioral science branch of the FBI to interview teenage serial killers to investigate their thought patterns.

Challenger Deep by [name_u]Neal[/name_u] Shusterman - it follows the mental health of a boy but the journey of his deteriorating mental health is told as a journey to the bottom of the [name_f]Mariana[/name_f] Trench. It’s hard to explain but a really good book once you get the gist of what’s going on (confusing otherwise).

1. [name_m]Man[/name_m] Without Woman - [name_m]Haruki[/name_m] Murakami
    Includes seven short stories, definitely recommend. All the stories are very different, but they share the theme of loneliness and heartache. I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads!

2. Stay Where You Are and Then [name_m]Leave[/name_m] - [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Boyne[/name_m]
    Such a lovely, emotional and brilliantly written story about a little boy who is looking for his father in the aftermath of WOII. I enjoyed it so much, had to give it 5 stars on Goodreads!

I’ve been reading the Winterlight triology by [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_u]Arden[/name_u]. It’s a medieval Russian fantasy with a badass female protagonist.

just here to pop in and recommend The Stormlight Archive by [name_m]Brandon[/name_m] [name_m]Sanderson[/name_m]— fantastic series !! every word that [name_m]Sanderson[/name_m] writes is brilliant :wink: he’s done so many books, too— at least 25 :thinking:

I have heard nothing but positivity about this book and I just bought it!

Oh yeah, that one was really good! Did you know that there’s a sequel? I haven’t read it yet

I LOVE THE PENDERWICKS!!

2 Likes

YES !! you’re gonna love it!! let me know what you think!

1 Like

Currently reading the girl with the louding voice by [name_u]Abi[/name_u] Dare such a good book highly recommend

I’m currently reading two books - The Quality of SIlnce by [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] Lupton. It’s a story about a British wildlife filmmaker [name_m]Matt[/name_m] who is presumed dead after a fire killed the whole population of a small Alaskan village where he was staying. His wife, not believing he was truly dead, goes to find him on her own with their deaf daughter in tow. It’s a thriller, which isn’t my favorite genre, and the writing is sometimes a bit lackluster for me personally. I have about 30 pages left but I’d say it’s a 3/5 so far.

The second book is Windswept by [name_f]Kaitlin[/name_f] [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]. It’s a YA fantasy that follows 15-year old [name_u]Fox[/name_u]. Here’s the summary: “The wind has always spoken to [name_u]Fox[/name_u], but it was just instinct, wasn’t it? Not a god’s [name_u]Blessing[/name_u] … not magic. But his powers are growing, and soon, he cannot ignore it anymore: he has a gift. And he is the only one. Why the gods chose to make his homeland magically barren generations ago, he doesn’t know. Why he’s been chosen now is an even greater mystery. Now, he must learn to control his mysterious [name_u]Blessing[/name_u], before it controls him. [name_u]Or[/name_u] worse.”
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] has created a whole world and different cultures and religions within it masterfully. There are so many scenes describing different festivals, rituals and just everyday life, it’s really easy to get lost in it. Characters are likeable and interesting. I really like that it takes a long time for [name_u]Fox[/name_u] to figure his powers out, it makes it more realistic. I’ve read approximately half of it so far and I’d give it a 4.5/5 thus far.

If you’re looking for a fast paced and light middle-grade book, Connect the Stars by [name_f]Marisa[/name_f] De Los [name_m]Santos[/name_m] and [name_m]David[/name_m] [name_m]Teague[/name_m] is wonderful. :grin:

A book that really stuck with me when I read it was Educated by [name_f]Tara[/name_f] Westover

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are almost done with The City We Became by N.K. Jemison and it is fantastic! I highly recommend any and all of her books.

Also, I’m in the middle of [name_m]Born[/name_m] a Crime by [name_m]Trevor[/name_m] [name_u]Noah[/name_u] and it’s very interesting. A fast read, too.

Lastly, one of my favorite books of all time is The House of the Spirits by [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] Allende, so I always recommend it.