Books

Did you or do you have a favorite baby name book? I’d like to purchase something just for fun. I know a wealth of info is available online, but a physical book would be fun for my daughters and I flip through together.

Thanks!

I only own two baby names books - the one I bought in the check out line when I was 17, and the one I bought when I was pregnant. I really like the [name]Secret[/name] Universe of Names…sure, there are some cre8ive spellings in there, so I don’t think it’s a go-to book for finding the best/original spelling, but the idea behind the letters of the names…that’s what’s cool.

Other than [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s books, the [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name] book has very useful popularity graphs (US popularity).

The Penguin Dictionary of First Names is brilliant, offering a history of the name and related information, plus a brief overview of its popularity over time in different parts of the English-speaking world (the main focus is on [name]Britain[/name] but it will mention US and Australian popularity, too). It has such a wide range of names from many different origins, including ones I’d come across before.

[name]Just[/name] for fun, I love second hand name books from decades past - a great selection are advertised on Amazon, and most are very cheap. The comments are always so amusing!

[name]Auburn[/name]