Boris for a dog (in England!)

I’m rescuing a puppy and his name is [name_m]Boris[/name_m]! He’s only young so it’s an option to change it, but [name_f]Every[/name_f] other name I’ve considered just doesn’t seem as fitting. Everyone I’ve spoken to has said “omg you can’t call him that!”

I live in [name_f]England[/name_f] and I’m worried people will think that we’ve named him after our very unpopular new prime minister. I think I’ll get fed up with everyone making jokes about it whenever we go out.

[name_m]Morris[/name_m] isn’t an option because it’s my brothers name. Also [name_u]Norris[/name_u] just isn’t the same. I’m kind of over the whole old man name thing and I love the idea of a comedic name or an unusual but well known name. Our ideas at the moment are [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m], [name_m]Merlin[/name_m] and Bumble (my name is [name_f]Bea[/name_f]!)

What do you think? Should we change his name? What would you call him? He’s a small fair-haired terrier poodle mix.

On the one hand it’s just a dog. On the other, strangers at the dog park will likely assume you yourself named him after our lovely new PM.
However, I can see an almost satirical element- [name_m]Boris[/name_m], don’t pee on the rug! [name_m]Boris[/name_m], don’t sniff the other dog’s butt!
That alone would amuse me to no end.
But overall, the hassle of the comments wouldn’t be worth it. I’d say change it (or shorten it to [name_u]Bo[/name_u]?)
The other options are all wonderful, I like [name_m]Merlin[/name_m] most
I met a poodle named Toodles once which is absolutely endearing!

I wouldn’t presume it was after BoJo, but still, I would change it too. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t worry about changing his name, dogs aren’t like people, he doesnt identify with the name he just reaponds to the sound. Renaming dogs is easy.

I’m also over the old man names people give their pets, but I really like [name_m]Merlin[/name_m] and Bumble!

If you feel like keeping it a B name, here’s some suggestions:

[name_m]Buddy[/name_m]
[name_m]Bowie[/name_m]
Biscuit
Bagel
[name_m]Buzz[/name_m]
[name_u]Blue[/name_u]
[name_m]Bingo[/name_m]
[name_m]Boone[/name_m]
Bilbo
Bugs
Bones
[name_m]Bart[/name_m]
[name_m]Bandit[/name_m]
Brew
[name_m]Bear[/name_m]

If you dislike our prime minister, it might be a laid back way to like fun at him. I think a previous poster mentioned dogs habits of sniffing butts. If you wanted it take it up a level, you could mockingly give the dog a title. I hope you have lots of fun.