Botanical Names

I’m having a daughter and would love to give her a botanical name, like [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name]; however, I wonder if that would be too twee or cutesy given that my own name is [name]Iris[/name]?

I think it would be adorable! By the way, I love your name so much.

I think it could be a nice way to connect your baby’s name with your own, while still giving her her own identity.

[name]Even[/name] though I love both [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name], they may be a bit close. I think something a bit more different in sound might work better, such as [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Poppy[/name] or [name]Daisy[/name].

I think [name]Violet[/name] is really sweet, but sounds substantial too.

I agree. Plus it has the cute nicknames V, [name]Vi[/name], Vio, and [name]Io[/name] (which is related to [name]Ion[/name], which means [name]Violet[/name]). [name]Don[/name]'t worry about it being too popular; maybe in a few years it will be.

I agree with all that’s been said prior. [name]Ivy[/name]'s a bit too much with your [name]Iris[/name] but other botanicals would work, [name]Violet[/name] is stellar. [name]Daisy[/name]'s sweet (but I prefer it as a nickname for the Marg-names. [name]Margery[/name] nn [name]Daisy[/name] is my own choice) There’s aso [name]Rose[/name], which wile overdone as a middle is quite refreshing as a first name.
Some others: [name]Angelica[/name], [name]Lilac[/name], [name]Camellia[/name], [name]Bryony[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Flora[/name] (another personal favorite), [name]Saffron[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Marigold[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name], Cleome & Celandne, just for a few more ideas. [name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I think its such a sweet idea, without being too matchy matchy with your name. I really like flower names like [name]Violet[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Lavender[/name], and [name]Aster[/name]. However, maybe you could choose something that is botanical without being floral, like [name]Sage[/name], [name]Laurel[/name], [name]Holly[/name], [name]Willow[/name], or [name]Hazel[/name]. Congratulations!

I think it’s a lovely idea. Also, agree that [name]Ivy[/name] sounds too similar to your own name. I like these: [name]Astrid[/name], [name]Aster[/name], [name]Peony[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Jasmine[/name], [name]Linnea[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Ginger[/name], [name]Dahlia[/name], [name]Zinnia[/name], and [name]Liana[/name].

I think it’s a really cute idea. My daughter’s name is [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and if we have another girl I want to use a floral name again. Best wishes!

Wow, thankyou everyone for your wonderful suggestions! We almost picked [name]Hazel[/name], but in the end our little girl is [name]Anouk[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (I really wanted [name]Elizabeth[/name] after my own mum, and with [name]Hazel[/name] and our last name there were too many 'z’s!). Maybe next time :wink:

Beautiful choice. Congratulations! :slight_smile:

I think that if [name]Ivy[/name] is your favorite, you should go with that- regardless of how close it may be to your name- its not the same name after all. But all the others are pretty too- go with your favorite :slight_smile: