Boy after Girl (Anika). Need help and suggestions!

See the results of this poll: Brother for Anika

Respondents: 43 (This poll is closed)

• Orson : 7 (16%)
  • Otto : 2 (5%)
  • Oliver : 3 (7%)
  • Oscar/Oskar : 9 (21%)
  • Corbin : 1 (2%)
  • Calvin : 5 (12%)
  • Roman : 6 (14%)
  • Griffin : 6 (14%)
  • Tait/Tate : 1 (2%)
  • Drake: 3 (7%)

Thanks for all he explanation and background. For me the absolute standout was [name]Orson[/name]. It’s a very rare, but not unfamiliar, very masculine, but not macho, name-- the double sweet spot. It has a Germanic background without being stereotypically so; with the popularity of modern -son names he would have no trouble blending in on a playground, nor in a hipster enclave. It has a great, nature-connected meaning, and a namesake in the form of [name]Orson[/name] Welles.

No K, though. What about [name]Orson[/name] [name]Drake[/name]?

As for your others-- [name]Roman[/name] is an adjective and a citizenship; [name]Griffin[/name] is a slightly misspelled mythological monster; [name]Otto[/name] is the stoner bus driver on the Simpsons, or a 115-yo [name]German[/name] man. [name]Calvin[/name], [name]Corbin[/name] and [name]Tait[/name] are nobjectionable but none of them are as exciting or distinctive as [name]Orson[/name].

[name]Orson[/name] - I like this name, it sounds strong and handsome. It works well with your daughter’s name.
[name]Otto[/name] - I know a really nice guy with this name, so I definitely like it.
[name]Oliver[/name] - I don’t really like this name too much
[name]Oscar[/name] or [name]Oskar[/name] - I like the name, but I always think of [name]Oscar[/name] the grouch from [name]Sesame[/name] street
[name]Corbin[/name] - I am really liking this name lately, I think it will go well with your daughter’s name too.
[name]Calvin[/name] - NMS
[name]Roman[/name] - I like this, it sounds strong and solid. Easy to say and spell and sounds good with dd name.
[name]Griffin[/name] - NMS
[name]Tate[/name]- I like this, but I don’t think it goes well with your daughter’s name
[name]Drake[/name] - This name is nice, although, I prefer some of your others on the list like [name]Orson[/name], [name]Otto[/name], [name]Corbin[/name] or [name]Roman[/name]

Loving [name]Blade[/name]'s suggestion of [name]Orson[/name] [name]Drake[/name]. [name]Bear[/name] and dragon - fierce!
After [name]Orson[/name], I love [name]Oskar[/name] with a K. It would be great with [name]Annika[/name], and it certainly feels [name]German[/name]/Scandinavian. Makes me think of [name]Oskar[/name] Schlemmer and [name]Oskar[/name] Schindler.

1. [name]Roman[/name] - cute and strong at the same time. Sounds cute with [name]Anika[/name].
  2. [name]Otto[/name] - adorable name. Seems like the most natural pairing with [name]Anika[/name] to me - like they’re made to be
  3. [name]Oliver[/name] - a favorite of mine that I probably wouldn’t use due to increasing popularity, but I still love it when others use it.

It was hard to pick!

With the European and exotic [name]Anika[/name], I would choose one of the following names.

Something with the same flair…

[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]

Something different…

[name]Orson[/name]

My son’s middle name is [name]Wolf[/name] :slight_smile:

I voted for [name]Griffin[/name], but I also really like [name]Corbin[/name] and [name]Drake[/name]!

[name]Both[/name] my son’s name, and my surname, is on your list. As well as a fav of mine, and my uncle’s first name. So it’s a hard list to choose from! But with [name]Anika[/name] I would go with [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Oscar[/name]/[name]Oskar[/name] or [name]Roman[/name]. Have you considered [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Gustav[/name], [name]Frank[/name]?

[name]Drake[/name] is my favorite as well.

I like [name]Oscar[/name] and love [name]Calvin[/name], but I think [name]Drake[/name] is awesome and fits well with [name]Anika[/name].

I actually know a sibset with an [name]Annika[/name] and brother [name]Zeke[/name].

I think [name]Orson[/name], [name]Drake[/name], [name]Roman[/name] and [name]Oscar[/name] would work best from your list, but I really love all your choices!

I think [name]Roman[/name] or [name]Drake[/name] would be great!

With [name]Annika[/name] I like [name]Oskar[/name] or [name]Roman[/name] (I knew one in high school). The first [name]Orson[/name] I was introduced to was the pig on [name]Garfield[/name] and Friends so I can’t shake that association…

Hey - thanks for your comments. After having read them, my husband is now seriously considering [name]Orson[/name], where he apparently didn’t like it before… :slight_smile: We both like [name]Orson[/name] [name]Drake[/name] too. So thanks!

Sadly, now that he’s read about the [name]Otto[/name] - Simpsons association he is now saying that there are lots of characters in shows named [name]Otto[/name] and he has dropped it from his list. I’ll keep it on in case.
As to [name]Roman[/name], I completely agree with you. This is what I thought at first as well, but it has grown on me over the past 3+ months and now I really love it. I think it goes so well with [name]Anika[/name].

I like [name]Oscar[/name]/[name]Oskar[/name] as well, but I do have the [name]Oscar[/name] the Grouch association. I think it would go away pretty quickly as soon as it was a sweet little newborn’s name though - same with [name]Otto[/name].

It is, isn’t it? :slight_smile: And unlike with my DD’s name, where our list of names for her all went together well and we were able to pick a middle name out of the list, hardly any of the names on this list really go well together, so we will definitely need to figure out a middle name.

My favs :slight_smile:

[quote=“”“uselesskitty,post:7,topic:190685”]
My son’s middle name is [name]Wolf[/name] :slight_smile:

Awesome :smiley: I do really like Wolf as a mn.

[QUOTE=killromance,post:8,topic:190685"]
[name]Both[/name] my son’s name, and my surname, is on your list. As well as a fav of mine, and my uncle’s first name. So it’s a hard list to choose from! But with [name]Anika[/name] I would go with [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Oscar[/name]/[name]Oskar[/name] or [name]Roman[/name]. Have you considered [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Gustav[/name], [name]Frank[/name]?

Hmmm no, we never picked those names out (we being me)… I like [name]Gabriel[/name], but it’s not quite unusual enough. [name]Gustav[/name] is not my style and [name]Frank[/name] is a bit too old-fashioned. I’ll bring them up. Our tastes seem to change so frequently I’m getting whiplash!

That’s funny. I had actually brought up [name]Zeke[/name] with DH not too long ago. He didn’t like it and I didn’t want it to be for [name]Ezekiel[/name], just [name]Zeke[/name]. I think it’s really cute. Maybe I’ll bring it up again.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I’d like to think we’re closer to a name, but I feel as though we keep going back and forth so much I think I’ll just leave the list as is and maybe put lines through some of them for now, in case they make a comeback.

I like [name]Orson[/name] too and I think that [name]Orson[/name] [name]Magnus[/name] would be a great combo.

rollo