Boy and girl name really similar, too similar????

[name]Hi[/name],
for the last ten or so years, since high school, I have loved the name [name]Elliot[/name] for a boy, I am now at the end of my first trimester and had NOOO girls names, as I have very specific criteria that must be met to make my name perfect.

I think today I stumbled with my Mum accross my perfect girl name…but is it too similar to my boy name, the girl name is [name]Elodie[/name], now am I just liking it because it reminds me of my boy name…is it too similar that if I had a boy in the future to call him [name]Elliot[/name]?
am I just asking for trouble, choosing names that sound so similar, or am I overly stressing?

[name]Do[/name] other people pick names that sound similar for a boy and girl?

Thank you, Nameberries!

I think they are very close, but if you really love both, you could go for it. You wouldn’t be the first (or last!) person to pick matching names for your kids. I love [name]Elodie[/name], and I like [name]Elliot[/name] as well:)

They’re close, yes, but the “i” placement in each helps make them sound distinctly different. I knew a set of twins once named [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Holly[/name]. Talk about sounding similar! Yet, they rarely had issues with knowing to whom was being referred. I guess they just grew up and figured it out along the way. If you like the names, then use them. You and your kids will figure things out, and the rest of the world can surely handle differentiating between classic boy and girl names.

It sounds like you’re pregnant with your first now, right? I can see why they both appeal to you-- they have such a similar sound. I really like both names, but probably would just go with one, not both.

I really like both names! However, personally, I wouldn’t use both. I’m not a big fan of names that are too matchy like that. But, it could be worse I suppose. I think if you were to call her [name]Ellie[/name], that would be a no then since that’s the beginning of [name]Elliot[/name]. Totally up to you though! Maybe you’ll change your mind by the time you have another kid?

If I were you, I would go with one or the other. [name]Both[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] & [name]Elodie[/name] are really similar, and could easily be confused :frowning:

Good [name]Luck[/name],

[name]Giuliana[/name] :slight_smile:

I think they are similar, but usable together. Best of luck~

I don’t find them too similar. I think they would sound quite nice together.

Too close for my taste. In addition to the “[name]El[/name]” beginning "t"s and "d"s make very similar sounds. I would not like to live in a house with two people with such similar names. I get a taste of such confusion when relatives visit. My son [name]Mark[/name] and my aunt [name]Marj[/name]. My daughter [name]Clare[/name] and my dad who is affectionately refered to as Lar (short for [name]Larry[/name]) - by both my mom and my dh.

With that said I’m in favor of all out naming. Give this baby the best possible name even if that limits your boy choices later. Who knows you might never have a boy, a close family member may use the name before you get to, your husband might fall in love with another name…