boy name advice

We’ve decided on a girl name, but are having lots of trouble with boy names. What are your thoughts on…

[name]Denver[/name]*
[name]Warren[/name]*
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]*
[name]Eldon[/name]*
[name]Holden[/name]
[name]Gray[/name]
Adler
Durbin*
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Lane[/name]*

our last name ends with an “ins” sound if that helps. The names with asterisks are family names and we’ll probably end up using a family name for either first or middle. Thanks for your input!

Wow! I like a lot of these, your family neames, especially!

[name]Denver[/name]* - for place names, this one feels almost retro, thanks to [name]Bob[/name] [name]Denver[/name]. Very snazzy sound!
[name]Warren[/name]* - one of my all time favorites, works beautifully as a first name unless your surname starts witha W too.
[name]Asher[/name] - One of the lovely [name]Ash[/name] names! I love them all. And I like [name]Asher[/name] best of them all.
[name]Beckett[/name] - I prefer [name]Becket[/name], to the two t version but either way, [name]Beck[/name] is cool.
[name]Patrick[/name]* - I grew up with a thousand Patricks, so to me (a 41 year old) the name feels dated. But He’d stand out in the sea of Aidens, for sure!
[name]Eldon[/name]* - I like jazzy [name]Eldon[/name], have since [name]Murphy[/name] [name]Brown[/name]. Snazzy!
[name]Holden[/name] - Feels pun-ny to me [name]Holden[/name] who? [name]Holden[/name] what? But that’s me, I’m sure he’ll go over pretty well with most everyone else.
[name]Gray[/name] - I prefer the E spelling, [name]Grey[/name] feels more name-like and less “colorful” but I do like [name]Grey[/name], quite a bit. I find the color soft and soothing.
Adler - interesting sound, surnamey feel. Pretty cool.
Durbin* - makes me think of [name]Deanna[/name] Durbin, funnily enough. This one, because of that feminine association, shoud probably be middle only material.
[name]Archer[/name] - Not my cup of coffee, I’m not fond of [name]Archie[/name] to begin with but prefer the standard [name]Archibald[/name] over the trendy [name]Archer[/name]. I’m weird though. Someone else is bound to like [name]Archer[/name]. It’s just not going to be me.
[name]Lane[/name]* - feels a touch feminine because of [name]Laney[/name]/[name]Lainey[/name] and [name]Lois[/name] [name]Lane[/name], Superman’s flame. I’d probably use this in the middle for a girl, myself. Last [name]Lane[/name] guy I can recall? [name]John[/name] Cusak’s character in “Better off Dead” back in 1985. Yeah, i say save this one for a girl.

My favorite sort of pairing from your list? [name]Eldon[/name] [name]Grey[/name]. Very jazzy cool.

Hey there, what an interesting list! I like the combination of popular vs. unusual, and the plethora of family names. Here’s my two cents:

[name]Denver[/name]– I’m not crazy about place names, and this one just doesn’t do much for me.
[name]Warren[/name]
– [name]Love[/name] love [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Warren[/name]. It’s a family name for me too, and I think it doesn’t get nearly the attention it deserves. :slight_smile:
[name]Asher[/name]-- trendy, and I think it will feel dated as he grows older
[name]Beckett[/name]-- this one is becoming popular with celebs, so it’s only a matter of time before it bleeds over
[name]Patrick[/name]– uncommon enough to get my attention, but not a name I can get really excited about, you know?
[name]Eldon[/name]
– also a family name for me (Hey-- are we related!!!), I like it, but it’s still an old man name
[name]Holden[/name]-- handsome, as long as you’re prepared to talk to people about [name]Salinger[/name] a LOT
[name]Gray[/name]-- I also think this one is handsome, particularly as a nn for [name]Grayson[/name]; cowboy chic, like [name]Zane[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
Adler-- I think of [name]Stephen[/name] Adler immediately, of GNR and Celebrity rehab fame/infamy. Also, it sounds like “rattler” to me, which is a bit negative
Durbin*-- would work as a middle, I think, but I can’t imagine calling the kid that
[name]Archer[/name]-- very handsome, and [name]Archie[/name] is a super-fun nn, the kind of guy who everyone wants to hang with!
[name]Lane[/name]*-- dated; the rest of your names feel much more masculine, making this one the odd name out

[name]Denver[/name] - Truthfully, I’m not the biggest fan of [name]Denver[/name]. It’s just too country-western for me.
[name]Warren[/name] - I like this a lot. I think it would make a great middle name.
[name]Asher[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Asher[/name]. One of my favorites from your list.
[name]Beckett[/name] - It works. Becks, [name]Beck[/name] are great nicknames.
[name]Patrick[/name] - I like it more as a middle name.
[name]Eldon[/name] - I’m not a fan of this. Too many “[name]El[/name]-” girl names right now.
[name]Holden[/name] - I like this. Very moody Catcher in the [name]Rye[/name] feel.
[name]Gray[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Gray[/name]/[name]Grey[/name]. As a middle or a first name.
Adler - I’m not a fan. I just don’t see this on a person.
Durbin - I feel the same way about this.
[name]Archer[/name] - I also love this!
[name]Lane[/name] - for a boy, I think this would make a better middle name.

My favorite combos are [name]Asher[/name] [name]Warren[/name] or [name]Archer[/name] [name]Grey[/name]. You have some great choices here!

Thanks for your input! I think we’ve decided to drop [name]Beckett[/name]. I wasn’t aware of its popularity with celebrities. :frowning:

I like [name]Asher[/name] or [name]Archer[/name] :slight_smile:

Ok, so do you prefer [name]Asher[/name] [name]Warren[/name] or [name]Archer[/name] [name]Warren[/name]?

[name]Archer[/name] [name]Warren[/name]. Because [name]Archie[/name] as nn is too adorable.

I agree with [name]Melissa[/name]. Definitely [name]Archer[/name]. [name]Archie[/name] is such a great nickname! I think [name]Asher[/name] might have the tendency to get lost among some of the other “[name]Ash[/name]” names; e.g., [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Ashton[/name], etc.

I’m going to go with [name]Asher[/name] [name]Warren[/name]. I’m not a fan of [name]Archer[/name], as it reminds me of archery and violence. While [name]Asher[/name] is a lovely, classic name, [name]Archer[/name] is just too trendy for my tastes. That said, you need to pick the name that YOU love!

I love the name [name]Asher[/name] I think that it goes well with [name]Warren[/name] as the MN. [name]Archer[/name] is a little too “woodsie” for me.

?

[name]Hi[/name] again! I think [name]Beckett[/name] is a really cool name, and [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Collins[/name] sounds very distinguished. :slight_smile: I understand what you’re saying about [name]Beck[/name] [name]Collins[/name] not flowing well, but it’s totally up to you when it comes to how much it bothers you. If it’s really gnawing at you, and you think it will bother you to the point you wish you hadn’t named him [name]Beckett[/name], then maybe you could use it as a middle name.

[name]Beckett[/name] [name]Gray[/name]: This is my favorite from your list. [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Gray[/name] [name]Collins[/name] sounds great to me!

[name]Beckett[/name] [name]Dean[/name]: [name]Dean[/name] doesn’t do anything for me, but that’s just me. :- )

[name]Beckett[/name] [name]Warren[/name]: [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Warren[/name] flows really well, but when you add [name]Collins[/name] (great last name, by the way) to the mix, something seems off to me. I think it’s the “in” sounds in both [name]Warren[/name] and [name]Collins[/name].

[name]Beckett[/name] [name]Warner[/name] [name]Collins[/name] just popped into my mind, and I thought I’d suggest it.

If you still love [name]Archer[/name], how about [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Archer[/name] [name]Collins[/name]?

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile: