Boy name

Hello!

Would love any advice on a boy name for our 3rd child.

We have 2 other kids (Henry and madeline) with the last name Coombs.

Trying to find a boy name that fits with the family and don’t want anything too popular right now, but also not a name that is out there.

Some of the names we thought of are:

Peter
Owen
Robert (Robbie)
Shane

Would love to get peoples thoughts on what sounds best. Middle name will be Alan for my dads name.

1 Like

Your children have lovely names!

I think [name_m]Peter[/name_m] is beautiful: strong, classic, and terribly underused.

[name_u]Henry[/name_u], [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], and [name_m]Peter[/name_m]: perfection :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I like [name_m]Peter[/name_m] and [name_u]Robert[/name_u] best with [name_m]Alan[/name_m] as a mn. [name_u]Owen[/name_u] is nice too, but [name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m] is a bit of a mouthful. Not so keen on [name_u]Shane[/name_u].

Other names that I think go well with [name_u]Henry[/name_u] & [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]:
[name_m]Joel[/name_m]
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u]
[name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_m]Eric[/name_m]
[name_u]Toby[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]

[name_m]Peter[/name_m] feels like it fits what you want really well!! [name_u]Owen[/name_u] is great too, but [name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m] doesn’t sound so great to me.

A few suggestions:

[name_u]Henry[/name_u], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and…

[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
Toby/Tobias
[name_m]Ansel[/name_m]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u]
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Joshua[/name_m]

I love [name_u]Robert[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m] with [name_u]Henry[/name_u] & [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]! Very handsome.

If you’re looking for other ideas:

[name_u]Bennett[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_u]Brady[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_u]Cary[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_m]Conor[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_u]Edward[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_m]Erick[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_u]Francis[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_m]Gregory[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_m]Richard[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_m]Stewart[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_u]Wesley[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m]

I absolutely love [name_m]Peter[/name_m]! It fits perfectly with [name_u]Henry[/name_u] and [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], and [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m] is too cute. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I agree that [name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m] is a little much, and [name_u]Shane[/name_u] Coombs makes me think of [name_u]Sean[/name_u] Combs.

[name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_u]Owen[/name_u], and Robert/Robbie are nice. I particularly like [name_u]Robert[/name_u]. I taught only one or two [name_m]Roberts[/name_m] in over 30 years. I dislike [name_u]Shane[/name_u] as it sounds macho.

[name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_m]Peter[/name_m] are wonderful names (Peter so underused), but [name_u]Robert[/name_u] is the best fit with the middle name [name_m]Alan[/name_m] and the siblings. [name_u]Perfect[/name_u] really. [name_u]Robbie[/name_u] is great. Excellent naming.

I would choose Peter or Robert.

Peter Allen was a famous Australian (I Go to Rio fame - and others) so Peter Alan would be a little hard for me to use but that’s almost certainly not a concern. They both go so nicely with Henry and Madeleine.

Speaking of Australia though, Shane is very much an 1970-1980s Aussie sportsman name - and with Sheila and Bruce is often used as joke names for Australians (like Chad is in the US for eg, not sure where you’re from). I wouldn’t choose this name anyway but also because it’s so different to your other two in terms of style.

As for Owen, as others have said, it doesn’t flow super smoothly to Alan. I also think it’s a little tricky to say with Coombs or just not as easy as Robbie Coombs or Peter Combs.

Otherwise:
Charles “Charlie”
Benjamin “Benji”
Edward “Ned”/“Teddy”/“Eddy”
Simon “Si”/“Sime”
William “Will”, “Bill”, “Liam”
Oliver “Oli”
Thomas “Tommy”
Philip “Pip”

Congratulations!

Looking at your list my shining star is Peter :sparkles:

I love Peter he’s handsome, sweet, timeless, incredibly underused and has adorable Peter Rabbit connotations which would inspire me to just purchase tons of rabbit themed outfits. Peter has great biblical associations. I love the overall sound of Henry, Madeline + Peter very sweet.

Looking at the rest of your list I think Robert is lovely very underused and has gorgeous red colour imagery attached. I also thought you may like Robin as an alternative to Robert. I like the idea of Henry, Madeline and Robin. I think Owen is sweet very outdoorsy and bright.

In relation to Shane I’ve never been a fan feels a bit stunted and just doesn’t have a sound which appeals to me.

Other ideas: Samuel, Bram, Jeremiah, Moses, Fletcher, Reuben + Gabriel.

Hope this helps