Boy names for girls...thoughts?

I like the idea of mixing a really feminine name with a boys name, such as:

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Blake[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Ryan[/name]

What do you think? Any other ideas?

Not a fan, personally. I don’t mind some unisex names, but my surname is masculine enough without giving my daughters another masculine name as a middle one.

If the boy’s name in question is a name you truly love, then I don’t mind seeing it in the middle name spot. Your idea of [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Blake[/name] is nice. I actually like that.

The boys’ names for girls trend is certainly nothing new, but it does seem especially rampant now. I have three main issues with it. The first is when parents are looking for a “strong” name for their daughter and purposefully choose a boy’s name for her. Some people will disagree with me here, but that sends the message that to be feminine is to be weak and to be masculine is to be strong. Women can be feminine AND strong, and there’s no reason a woman’s name cannot convey both of those qualities. A second issue I have is parents blatantly choosing a very masculine name for their daughter just to be edgy and trendy. Choosing a name just to be edgy and trendy is incredibly juvenile. The other argument that peeves me is when parents say a boy’s name “sounds girly” and use that as their excuse to use the name. Boys’ names that end in vowel sounds most often fall victim to this silliness. [name]Just[/name] because a name ends in a vowel sound does not make it a girl’s name. [name]Just[/name] because a name could POSSIBLY be shortened to a feminine nickname does not make it a girl’s name. Parents of [name]Elliot[/name] nn [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Emerson[/name] nn [name]Emmy[/name], [name]Ryan[/name] nn [name]Annie[/name], etc… I’m looking at you.

Of course there are always exceptions. Especially here in the South, family surnames are often used as first or middle names regardless of the child’s gender. I myself would like to use family surnames for my future daughters’ middle names. I think family names are always okay. Like I said at the beginning of this post, if the boy’s name in question is a name you [name]TRULY[/name] love for a girl, then… well… whatever. A gender specific first or middle name to pair with the boy’s name would be ideal.

I like that better than giving a girl a boy’s name. At least that way there isn’t any question as to the sex of the child when you see the name. I’m pretty traditional, though, so I prefer a feminine first name with a feminine or unisex middle name. My one big exception to the above is when the name has some sort of special significance to you or your family.

I like them in the middle! Definitely adds a little spunk. I never liked the name [name]Charlotte[/name] much, but seeing it in the combo [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Blake[/name] I love it :slight_smile:

Yeah…what agirlinred said.

I hate boy fn on girls, I just roll my eyes when I hear it. The only exception for me is when a maiden name is used- like [name]Drew[/name] Barrymore ([name]Drew[/name] was great-gram’s maiden)

I greatly dislike boys names on girls. Sorry.

I prefer to have [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Blake[/name] than [name]Blake[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] as a combo for a girl. A traditional boys name in the middle spot is more tolerable to me than using it as a first name. Middle names aren’t used very much anyway so it’s the perfect place to let your imagination run wild (boys names, guilty pleasures, quirky and fun names, family names etc…).

I like boys names on girls to some extent but certainly not for my own children. Most girls I have met with traditional boys name are usually sweetest girls I know. As a MN I think it is fine. [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Blake[/name] is actually quite lovely.

I like boy’s names on girls- which really means I like girls that have unique unisex names

Actually I think those work pretty well together. [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Blake[/name] does sound good together, perhaps because of [name]Blake[/name] Lively making it not seem strange on a girl or maybe because it is a surname type of name. I agree a lot with what agirlinred said, but for sure this is not a new trend. I was watching [name]Little[/name] House last night and saw [name]Kyle[/name] [name]Richards[/name], sister to [name]Kim[/name] in the episode.