Boy names šŸ

boys names only, please!

Previously did it with the girl names in another post as @heartwings

now that I have found officially my new name I thought it was cool to simply talk about names in general as a name nerd and to find new recommendations because it is not like I have a big boy list

do you have a favourite name? or more than one? do you wish other people to appreciate it more? well, this post is for you! maybe you have got this underrated special name and would like to recommend it to someone

you can do it here! i am currently trying to create a name list, and to make more combos, but in order to do that i need some inspiration, which i donā€™t know where to take it from. so tell me your favourite names- anything will do. but please describe me them, tell me why you like them and convince me- tell me why i should them and possibly link them with songs or books or sentences or aesthetics / mood boards that remind you of the name. you can also tell me what do they feel for you. convince me. tell me pros or cons if you want. suggest combos, exc. do what you want, you can suggest even more than one

this thread can be useful as for other people who want to get to know some names.

My all time favourite boys names is Sholto. I love the distinct sound, the rugged feel and the earthy vibe. It reminds me of the outdoors, rolling hills, hiking and mist over fields. I discovered it in Elizabeth Gaskellā€™s novel North and South - itā€™s a very subtle link as heā€™s a very, very minor character but itā€™s there which I like! For me, itā€™s easy to say but very unusual.

My second favourite is Tristan. Itā€™s gentle but adventurous, mythical but modern and to me it feels very friendly. Itā€™s not too heavy, and it gives me images of knights and woods and rivers. I fell in love with Tristan after meeting a very, very sweet kid with the name so he sold it to me, and itā€™s probably why I find it such a sweet and friendly name.

Some more recent faves include: Julian, which is soft but strong, slightly regal and elegant, not too heavy and gives me kind of academic, old library imagery while also feeling fun and kind of sunny? and Robin, which is gentle, outdoorsy, rugged and lovely. I like the ties to the bird, especially as thatā€™s one of my mumā€™s favourites. These two are also my two faves from my favourite show, BBC Ghosts.

Iā€™ll throw in two guilty pleasures that Iā€™m loving at the moment which are Keats and Benvolio. Yeah, my guinea pigsā€™ names. Keats is just such a sweet, succinct name. It has the vibes of the lovely Kit while also feeling a little more distinct. Itā€™s poetic and beautiful and fun too. Benvolio is a bold choice but elegant, friendly and fun. It has literary ties (Benvolio of Romeo and Juliet was my fave character in the play) and has a wonderful meaning. It also has good nicknames. Ben suits my piggie but I think Bo would be cute too.

3 Likes

While I donā€™t think my favourites will be your style, Iā€™ll always take the chance to rant about them! I couldnā€™t pick just one, so I settled on these.

I) Wilbur :chipmunk::sunflower::fallen_leaf:
Wilbur, out of all my favourites, is the one that Iā€™ve loved the longest. I think I first added it to my UC as long as four years ago! Thereā€™s something so cozy about it, so autumnal, all chestnuts and hearths and English trees. Itā€™s vintage and off-beat, with the familiar, sweet & sunny Will as a nickname to give you the best of both worlds! I first heard it on Charlotteā€™s Web, one of my favourite movies when I was little, so it always makes me think of childhood and farm animals!

II) Harvey :basket::maple_leaf::teddy_bear:
Harvey is so, so sweet to me! Itā€™s a name that has a soft & gentle sound, with a bit of a bespectacled older gentleman image. The combination of those two makes me picture the sweetest little boy, playing in leaf piles or staying up late under his blankets with a flashlight and a fantasy book. Harvey is familiar but not overdone, friendly and a little bit clunky-cool.

III) Toby :seedling::mushroom::sunny:
Toby is the newest addition to my favourites! Thereā€™s something so bouncy and energetic about itā€™s short and playful sound, with that fun -by ending. Toby, to me, is the first warm days of early spring, when butterflies and bumblebees start flying about and the first flowers grow their petals! Itā€™s a ray of sunshine and a baggy sweater under overalls with stains from grass and dirt. Toby is cute, warm and friendly, and thatā€™s why I love it!

IV) Edmund :ocean::shell::dizzy:
Compared to my other loves, Edmund is a bit more buttoned-up. Heā€™s a boy with dark hair and glasses too big for his face, who likes classic literature and the outdoors. But despite Edmundā€™s scholarly, heavy image, you can get cheery Eddy, cool retro Ted and sweet Teddy from it! My personal favourite is Eddy, cozy and sweet, but I love the name in its full too. It has a literary image to me, whether it be Narnia or the many authors and poets and kings who bore the name! Edmund is brimming with history and it just makes me love it so much more.

@greyblue Keats is such a fantastic name for a pet (especially a little guinea pig darling!). Definitely a surname name I wouldnā€™t mind seeing around more.

4 Likes

[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] :coffee:
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] has been my favorite boyā€™s name for over 10 years! [name_m]Just[/name_m] like @tallemaja I love the image of the dark-haired, studious, bespectacled, somewhat dark-academia image that [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] gives. If [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] is at all too straight-laced, you get the spunky and friendly [name_u]Eddie[/name_u], and the adorable Mundy to cheer you up :brown_heart: It also makes me think of dusty novels, good coffee, & the Victorian [name_f]Era[/name_f], all of my favorite things!

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] ā€œTheoā€ :evergreen_tree:
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] has been popular lately, but to me thatā€™s a good thing and means more people are appreciating this handsome name! It again conjures up that image of a well-red gentleman who you may bump into at a hidden book store covered in ivy & moss. It offers up the almost-more-lovely nickname ā€œTheo.ā€ I also love ā€œTeddyā€ for his younger years :teddy_bear:

Now a guilty pleasure of mine, [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] :old_key:

[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] sounds like either a dashing Victorian courtier or a 200 year old vampire (with that ā€œimmortalā€ name meaning itā€™s hard to avoid!) The only reason why this is a guilty pleasure is because my family doesnā€™t care for it, and I canā€™t think of a usable NN. But I still love it to bits, and it fits my style of names perfectly! I used to work at a childcare center, and there was an adorable Italian toddler named [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] who made this name so much more special to me.

4 Likes

@tallemaja aw thank you!! [name_m]Just[/name_m] going to say, you have good name picks - Iā€™ve used [name_u]Toby[/name_u] and [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m] on guinea pigs so 100% excellent!

1 Like

I donā€™t think my favourite names will be you still here they are anyway:

names I think are underrated are:
Wise: So cool sounding
Aurelius:Aurelia is so popular, why not Aurelius
Pharaoh:So strong sounding, If prince and royal why not Pharaoh, Also the nickname Ro so cute
Alcander:Like Alexander but more unique
Lijah: I donā€™t know why I just prefer it to Elijah
Athansius:Athena for girls is going up and I think this name deserves to
Iverson: Ivy is popular why not this name, Also the nickname Iva or Ivy for a boy, Do cute!
Mosaic: I just think this name is so pretty
Kainoa: Kai is really popular Noah is really popular so together it is perfect
Erris: Like Ellis but with a harder sound which I love
Achilles: I know this name is going up but I just love it, I prefer it to Atticus

@CashTheUnicorn love tiger! :tiger: heā€™s so underrated!

@heartwings first off, i wanna say i love your name, aurelio! one of my favsšŸ§” so underrated and lovely, so maybe youā€™ll like some from my list

rĆ­o šŸŒŠšŸ’Œ

heā€™s just the perfect name for me. im from latin america so canā€™t use river, and rĆ­o came as the perfect alternative for me. love nature names, and specially love the imagery i get from this one. also love river jude phoenix, whoā€™s the actor where i first heard the name river back in 2018, he was called rio so everything just fits perfectly. also, it has a spiritual meaning as well, which i love. thereā€™s this book called siddartha (one of my favs) that talks about the river of life, which is a lovely concept. also, love brazil and the city and its culture! i think rĆ­o itā€™s such a sweet, cool, soft name & so unique as well! never heard of anyone called rĆ­o, not in my country at least. i have a few combos for rĆ­o: rĆ­o ventura, rĆ­o leĆ³nidas & rĆ­o zeppelin

moodboard

zen šŸŒæ

probably my second fav. i love how it goes with rĆ­o. it also has this cool but soft sound at the same time, which i love. z names are just so cool lol. love the meaning as well and the nature feel! and how unique it is. zen aurelio is my current combo

moodboard

leĆ³nšŸ¦

i love the nn ā€˜leoā€™ and leĆ³n is really uncommon in my country. also love the nature meaning ofc and how it goes with rio since both are word names in spanish. also a very cute/soft name and cool at the same time. leĆ³n ventura is my current combo but donā€™t have a moodboard yet

eliošŸŒ¼

such a soft and sweet name. love the sunny and summer feeling. also so unique but donā€™t like the cmbyn reference. love it as a stand-alone name or as a nn for aurelio! elio ventura is my combo:)

moodboard

ziggyāš”ļø

this is a name that just ages so well for me, sounds modern but itā€™s not, and i could definitely see it on a baby/kid as well as an adult. plus z names are so cool hehe, and itā€™s well known but still underused. and i personally love the connection to david bowie

venturašŸ€

i saw in your uc that youā€™re italian, and i think you could really love this name! means good luck and itā€™s so unique and similar to ā€˜adventuraā€™ which i think is so cool. (could also be in english: venture)

could also do one for aurelio but i think you already love that name lol

1 Like