boys name

my husband really likes the name [name]Eion[/name] ( pronouces o in ) we really like the spelling. however, a colleague at work 9 months ago had a son called [name]Owen[/name] ( spelt differently pronouced the same). I really like the name and my husband loves it, but im a bit tentative to call my first son ( if it is a boy) [name]Eoin[/name] as it sounds like im copying her idea. She isnt a close friend and i’d doubt us and our children would regularly meet up if at all. would it seem like im copying her & a bit strange? I like [name]Ewan[/name] as well which is similar but has not got the above issues!Any advice should i steer clear of the name [name]Eoin[/name].

I would urge you to name your child [name]Owen[/name] because simply I cannot pronounce [name]Eoin[/name]. I also think that [name]Owen[/name] is a much more handsome name than [name]Ewan[/name], although I do like this name.

As for other people having a baby with the same name, go ahead, and give your baby the name you love, you know people don’t have a reserve on certain names. I would however say to her if you meet up that you love the name [name]Owen[/name] and it is on your short list. (Too bad if she doesn’t like it. However, I don’t think it will be an issue.)

I agree with the above post…if you love the name than you should use it. Its not like this woman is your best friend or relative (then it would be awkward). And if you do casually mention to her that you are really fond of the name than it wont be a big surprise to her if you do use it. And if she does think you are copying her…well so what. You know you’re not and really after the baby is here you wont even care :slight_smile:

I have to say though that I would really suggest you using the [name]Owen[/name] spelling. [name]Owen[/name] is definitely one of my favorite names but when I read your spelling of it as [name]Eoin[/name] I had no idea how to pronounce it. I think your son would have to correct people on the spelling and pronunciation his entire life. Sorry. Maybe you could give him a more unique middle name if that is your style. [name]Just[/name] something to think about.

I think that the name [name]Eion[/name] is just too hard to pronounce. Of course I’ve never seen it before. If this name is more common from where you are from or represents your heritage than I support using it. As far as [name]Owen[/name] is concerned I wouldn’t worry about that too much. Most people wouldn’t think you “stole” their name. Who can truly claim a name for that matter? No one! I love the name [name]Ava[/name] but this is the name of my niece and when family is involved I think naming relatives the same names isn’t okay. Of course if it is a family name or a tradition to name every first born [name]John[/name] then that’s a different story.