Boys' names for a Dutch/Australian couple in French speaking Canada?

[name]Hi[/name]! Our baby boy is due in Dec. I am Dutch, my husband Australian, and we live in French speaking [name]Canada[/name]. Our boy will have my husband’s anglophone last name, so I would like to think of a Dutch name that works in the English speaking world. For instance, my fav has always been ‘[name]Floris[/name]’ but the kid could be teased with…well what rhymes to [name]Floris[/name]. So here is my list, please let me know what you think!!!

[name]Kasper[/name]
[name]Oskar[/name]
[name]Olaf[/name]
[name]Mees[/name] (pronounce Mase)
[name]Kees[/name] (pronounce [name]Kase[/name])
[name]Roel[/name]
[name]Roeland[/name]
[name]Bram[/name]

Some non-Dutch:
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Cyrus[/name]

Help me choose! :smiley:

[name]Hi[/name]! I think [name]Oskar[/name] is fantastic, and easily understood in French and english!

[name]Kasper[/name], [name]Oskar[/name], and [name]Bram[/name] are fantastic! I think they could work very well in the French and English lasnguage.

• [name]Athena[/name]

From your list, I think these Dutch names would work…

1 [name]Oskar[/name]
2 [name]Roeland[/name]
3 [name]Bram[/name] ([name]Abram[/name]?)

I love [name]Silas[/name] and like [name]Cyrus[/name] too!

Other Dutch boys names

[name]Bastiaan[/name]
[name]Christiaan[/name]
[name]Dirk[/name]
[name]Erik[/name]
[name]Hendrik[/name]
[name]Willem[/name]
[name]Jakob[/name]
[name]Johan[/name]
[name]Jordaan[/name]
[name]Karel[/name]
Martijn/Maarten
[name]Pieter[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]
Adriaan
Constantijn
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Arend[/name]
Andries
[name]Frans[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Gerrit[/name]
[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Justus[/name]
[name]Maurits[/name]
[name]Nicolaas[/name]
[name]Theodoor[/name]
[name]Stefan[/name]
[name]Thijs[/name]

I absolutely love [name]Mees[/name]. [name]Roel[/name] is nice, too (is it pronounced [name]Rule[/name], or have I made that up?)

EDIT: Didn’t see Kaspar. Always choose Kaspar. Aaaah.

I love [name]Bram[/name]! I think [name]Oskar[/name] and [name]Kasper[/name] are good choices too.

I’ve always liked the name [name]Casper[/name] and with a K just makes it a bit more ethnic but still beautiful.

I also like [name]Oskar[/name], though not quite as much.

[name]Bram[/name] is one that I love the sound of, but I’ve never known anyone irl with the name so I’m not sure how it will be worn in real life. It’s the most interesting to me.

I’m not super fond of any of the others, though I adore [name]Cyrus[/name] and [name]Silas[/name].

I love [name]Bram[/name]!
[name]Bas[/name] is a cool Dutch name. It could be a nn for [name]Bastien[/name]. It’s French, so it would fit right in…
Maybe you would like [name]Mats[/name] ([name]Mats[/name] Sundin is a hockey player), [name]Dean[/name], [name]Beau[/name], [name]Roan[/name], [name]Sander[/name], [name]Gregor[/name]?
I am pretty sure that [name]Floris[/name] is a character from Game of Thrones, so maybe it won’t be teased as much as you think.

All names are great! I think [name]Kasper[/name], [name]Oskar[/name] and [name]Olaf[/name] are the best ones, but you should know there’s a very popular children’s book series called A Series of Unfortunate Events, and its villain’s called [name]Olaf[/name]. They made it into a movie and [name]Jim[/name] [name]Carrey[/name] played him.
I think [name]Mees[/name], [name]Kees[/name] and [name]Roel[/name] are hard to guess how to pronounce just by looking at them, and he will have to tell people how to say it, but it’s okay, I do it with my surname all the time.
[name]Bram[/name] just sounds awesome to me, it reminds me of [name]Bram[/name] Stoker and then Dracula, but kids probably won’t figure this one out.

Thanks all for the input! It’s going to be [name]Kasper[/name] :slight_smile: