Boys names on Girls

I forgot. I also know a [name]Ryan[/name], [name]Spencer[/name], [name]Corie[/name], [name]Logan[/name], [name]James[/name] and [name]Devon[/name]. And 2 female [name]Evan[/name]'s.

Some I don’t mind as much on girls. But the vast majority just sound really odd to me on girls!

I actually quite like [name]Carter[/name] on a girl. I think it’s a cool alternative to some of the very popular C names.

I’m not a huge fan. Particularly of names like [name]Bryn/name being used on girls. [name]Just[/name] because it “sounds” soft to you doesn’t mean in the language and culture it originated from it’s not as masculine as [name]William[/name]. As a Welsh person that is how it seems. I wouldn’t call a girl [name]Luca[/name] because it sounds “girly” to me. It’s a masculine Italian name! ([name]Luca[/name] doesn’t sound girly to me btw,just an example).

But I’ve seen people get really bent out of shape about [name]Rowan[/name] being used for girls. To me it is genuinely unisex. I slightly prefer it on a girl. I would call a boy [name]Ronan[/name] before I called him [name]Rowan[/name].

People dig too deep into this when it comes to this debate. The parents probably weren’t trying to give their daughter “a better life” by making people think they’re a boy. They probably liked the name, which is reasoning behind most baby names… If someone wants to name their child something that isn’t cruel (and it’s not) then let them name their child what they want. If you want to name your child some obsecure name I’ve never heard of, can’t prounce or spell and genuinely I dislike I won’t complain about that all the time. It’s the parents choice.

Given I’ve heard a few parents say almost exactly that, I’d disagree.

Um…wow. This is quite a heated debate. Well, let’s remember that sex is biological and gender is socially constructed. Therefore, the names we assign our children are also socially constructed. The name “[name]Ashley[/name]” used to be an only male name but it has gone to the girls. There is really no reason why names cannot be used for either gender. Who decided that [name]Bradley[/name] is strictly male and [name]Regina[/name] is strictly female? Society creates their limits and it really is meaningless. I personally love [name]James[/name] & [name]Dylan[/name] on a girl but again, names are names in my opinion.

Naming a child is a personal decision that everyone makes during a very exciting time in their lives… It’s no ones place to say that someone else is wrong with their choice of name or not.
Opinions are just opinions, and sometimes they need to be kept to yourself.
You wouldn’t tell a bride on her wedding day that the dress she is wearing is hideous, even if you truly thought is was… At least I hope you wouldn’t! That’s called respect!
I agree, to a point that it’s too bad more female names don’t go the other way, I get that point. But, that doesn’t make it wrong for someone to use a more commonly used male name on their daughter If they so choose.
I’ve heard some pretty awful names thrown out their for both sexes, and if someone chooses a more unisex name or more commonly used male name for daughter over one of those, then I’m happy.
Naming a baby is fun, and personal, and these forums are made so that we can all reasonably share our thoughts…

Fair enough :slight_smile: I guess I really like names like [name]Porter[/name] or [name]Blake[/name] on either sex.

Oh, I do have to say I love [name]Devin[/name]/[name]Devon[/name] for a girl. (and a boy!)

I am surprised that some think this thread is heated. It’s very tame compared to discussions I’ve seen on other naming boards, where my opinion on this topic is quite unpopular. My opinion being: I don’t care if you use a traditional male name or patronymic surname as a girl’s first name, it would just be nice if it went the other way too and with as much gusto.

completely agree w/ [name]Samo[/name]-- and [name]Love[/name] [name]Ellie[/name] for a nn for Elliotte

I actually prefer many of the so-called ‘gone/going girl’ names on boys. [name]Courtney[/name], [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Jordan[/name], [name]Elliot[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Riley[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Ryan[/name], I’d pick them for a son over a daughter any day. [name]Taylor[/name] is one that I do like on both genders though. I think part of the masculine names on girls appeal is to try and get as far away as possible from the frilly names that seem to be another big trend at the moment, all the -ia, -ella and -anna/-ana ending names.

I am so incredibly over this trend. No, you are not breaking barriers since no one is giving their sons a female name and it’s not stylish, it’s overdone, boring and quite ugly, [name]IMO[/name].

I’ll be cool with it when it starts going both ways, until then - nope!