Boy's names that don't end in -en.

So I just realized that pretty much every boy’s name that my husband and I agree on ends with an -en sound! It’s definitely not intentional!

We have our next son’s name picked out, but I thought it would be fun to try to brainstorm some other names to break the trend should we happen to have a third boy!

So here are some names we like to give you a sense of our style:
[name]Perrin[/name], [name]Thorin[/name], [name]Linden[/name], Tolkien, [name]Orin[/name], [name]Ilan[/name], [name]Cavan[/name]
(Our son’s name is [name]Rowan[/name] and our next will be Cirdan.)

[name]Thane[/name] and [name]Thor[/name] are the only name we agree on that don’t end in -en, although of course [name]Thane[/name] still has the “n” sound at the end.

Any suggestions?

how about

Amalric
[name]Anselm[/name]
[name]Brom[/name]
[name]Bruno[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Chester[/name]
[name]Cyprus[/name]
[name]Ferris[/name]
[name]Glade[/name]
[name]Ives[/name]
[name]Jerome[/name]
[name]Malone[/name]

Thanks! My husband is actually neutral on [name]Brom[/name] (that’s pretty good actually! Usually he just shoots down things automatically! lol!), and we do like [name]Cypress[/name] and [name]Jerome[/name] ([name]Jerome[/name] is the middle name for our next boy!). :slight_smile:

We actually considered [name]Cypress[/name] for our second son, but thought it sounded a little too feminine.

Thanks again!

Hey [name]Dove[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Calder[/name]
[name]Cashel[/name]
[name]Fergus[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name] (although its eer sound is a lot like Cirdan’s)
[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Tolliver[/name]

I love the names on your list! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

P.S. I actually quite like [name]Brom[/name] – even moreso since I just found out it (roughly) is a nature name.
([name]Bromley[/name] = meadow where broom grows, ley/lea = meadow so [name]Brom[/name] = broom, which is a type of shrub.)

We love nature names! :slight_smile:

Thanks [name]Jill[/name]! :slight_smile:

We actually got some “okay” responses from my hubs on your names too! I think he must be mellowing out with age lol!
He was okay with [name]Calder[/name], [name]Pierce[/name] and [name]Tolliver[/name], although [name]Calder[/name] is probably not an option considering we don’t like repeating first initials! (And he’s definitely not reconsidering Cirdan.)

Thanks! :slight_smile: [name]Hope[/name] you’re having a good night!

P.S. I really love [name]Tolliver[/name]! Never hear it before!

[name]Hi[/name]!

Nature names for you…

[name]Ash[/name] ([name]Asher[/name]?)
[name]Birch[/name]
Jarrah

[name]Basil[/name]

Badger
[name]Drake[/name]
[name]Finch[/name]
[name]River[/name]
[name]West[/name]

Tolkien-esque names for you…

Elrond
Lorien
([name]Pippin[/name])
([name]Rohan[/name])
(Theoden)

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! Are you going with the Cirdan spelling? I think it’s great! I love [name]Tolliver[/name], too. It’s a surname, and I never heard of it before Nameberry, either!

I’m making soup now (chicken and wild rice), and I’ll send you a bowl when it’s done. :slight_smile:

Talk to you later…

[name]Jill[/name]~
Oh yum, your soup sounds delicious! Soup is actually one thing I’ve never tried to make believe it or not! I’ve heard it’s one of the easiest dishes to do though! If only I could believe my fickle toddler would go for it…

Yes, we have decided on the Cirdan spelling, and I feel very happy about it! Your reasoning swayed me! :slight_smile:

lemon~
We both do like [name]Asher[/name], but fear for the rising popularity, and [name]Ash[/name] alone unfortunately seems insubstantial to me. I like both [name]River[/name] and [name]West[/name] (and [name]North[/name]), but DH, not so much!

It’s awfully hard to find Tolkien/fantasy literature and even Celtic names that don’t end with -en isn’t it??

Thankfully we don’t have the same problem with our girl’s names so if we ever manage to have any girls, it’ll break up the pattern a bit! :smiley:

Thanks!

A few more for your enjoyment (or hate!):

[name]Aric[/name]
[name]Alaric[/name]
[name]Percival[/name]
[name]Gareth[/name]
[name]Porter[/name]

Dovey, if you can measure ingredients and turn on the stove, you can make soup! It’s really easy! Seriously, you just dump everything into a pot and let it cook!

Here’s the recipe for the soup I just made (it’s from Whole Foods): Recipes | Whole Foods Market

You went with the Cirdan spelling? Yea! I love the way it looks! I’m glad you don’t have to worry about spelling anymore. (I love saying Cirdan [name]Jerome[/name]…)

I can’t remember your girls’ names, but I’m sure they’re great.

Ooh…Olympic hockey is about to start!

Go USA! :slight_smile:

[name]Jill[/name]~
Wow thanks for the recipe! I [name]Love[/name] mushrooms! (And chicken wild rice anything!) Maybe I’ll put it on the rotation this week!
Yum yum yum! I’m such a stereotypical hungry pregnant woman! lol!

Yay Olympics! It’s one of the only times I’m really sad we don’t have cable! Enjoy it extra for me!

tarat3232~
Thank you so much for your suggestions!
I like [name]Alaric[/name], especially the [name]German[/name] roots and the cool meaning, but it seems my husband is all out of “okays” for the day! :slight_smile:
Thanks again!

[name]Hi[/name]! Are you going with the Cirdan spelling? I think it’s great! I love [name]Tolliver[/name], too. It’s a surname, and I never heard of it before Nameberry, either!

I’m making soup now (chicken and wild rice), and I’ll send you a bowl when it’s done. :slight_smile:

Talk to you later…[/quote]

Hey [name]Jill[/name],
We had homemade chicken soup today too but ours was chicken noodle with carrots, celery, onions. Yum, yum! I love homemade soups and stews, especially in the winter. So hearty and warm in the tummy! Today was my youngest child’s birthday so we had a small birthday party. We also found out our twin grandchildren will be born soon. They are planning on inducing at 35 weeks if she doesn’t deliver before then. The babies are growing quickly now and they are afraid they will get too big to deliver. They are both already in great position for vaginal birth and the OB’s are hoping to avoid a cesarean. So 5 weeks (or less) before we meet these little ones. I hope she carries 5 more weeks though so we can avoid a long NICU stay.

Sorry for repeats…

[name]Colm[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
Crad
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Volney[/name]
[name]Amaury[/name]
[name]Forrest[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name]
[name]Marcel[/name]
[name]Maverick[/name]
[name]Lucius[/name]
[name]Pascal[/name]
[name]Lennox[/name]
[name]Max[/name]
[name]Cooper[/name]
[name]Drake[/name]
[name]Chase[/name]
[name]Magnus[/name]
[name]Emil[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Emory[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Jules[/name]
[name]Kerr[/name]
[name]Carter[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Aldous[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]

Hmmm…
Try these on:
[name]Amias[/name]
[name]Bayard[/name]
[name]Bramwell[/name]
[name]Carlisle[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name] (nn [name]Rad[/name] is awesome)
[name]Emrys[/name] (Welsh form of [name]Ambrose[/name])
[name]Everard[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Ianto[/name]/[name]Inigo[/name]/[name]Ivo[/name]
[name]Laird[/name]
[name]Leander[/name]
[name]Lucius[/name]
[name]Marland[/name] (with a very pronounced D)
[name]Malloy[/name]
[name]Melville[/name]
[name]Morrisey[/name]
[name]Ferrand[/name] (with a very pronounced D again)
[name]Olivier[/name]
[name]Rainer[/name]
[name]Reeve[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Sayer[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Sterling[/name]
[name]Thackeray[/name]
[name]Thaddeus[/name]
[name]Thatcher[/name]
[name]Tristram[/name]
[name]Valdemar[/name]
[name]Willem[/name]
[name]Yago[/name]
[name]Fleming[/name]

For more research, look into names that end in -us (or just s). There are HEAPS of good ones, many obscure like [name]Timaeus[/name] and [name]Zaccheus[/name] which are awesome. Also look into names that end in -r and -o. They’re usually awesome! [name]Abner[/name], [name]Evander[/name], [name]Apollo[/name], [name]Laszlo[/name].
D ending names are also lovely, [name]Ferrand[/name], [name]Gilead[/name], [name]Armand[/name], Somerled, [name]Hammond[/name]/[name]Drummond[/name], [name]Edmund[/name]/[name]Edward[/name].
And since the -e ending is often silent, you’ll be sure to find some good ones among those as well, [name]Peregrine[/name], [name]Rune[/name], [name]Thorne[/name], [name]Alphonse[/name]…
Looking through my list I also found a few good ones ending in -m: [name]Anselm[/name], [name]Absalom[/name], [name]Ephraim[/name], Hallam etc.

From the most recent suggestions, we both liked [name]Leander[/name].

We’re a hard team to please, I know, but I’m actually really impressed that we’ve agreed on as many as we have from your suggestions! So thank you all so much again!

Keep 'em coming! :slight_smile:

[name]Briggs[/name]
or
[name]Gage[/name]

[name]Dove[/name], I enjoyed the Olympics for you. We watched hockey (USA vs [name]Canada[/name]) and there were a lot of Woo-hoos!!!

That soup is my favorite, and it’s impossible to goof! You can do it, [name]Dove[/name]! :slight_smile: [name]Do[/name] it for Cirdan! :slight_smile:

Talk to you later…[/quote]

Hey [name]Jill[/name],
We had homemade chicken soup today too but ours was chicken noodle with carrots, celery, onions. Yum, yum! I love homemade soups and stews, especially in the winter. So hearty and warm in the tummy! Today was my youngest child’s birthday so we had a small birthday party. We also found out our twin grandchildren will be born soon. They are planning on inducing at 35 weeks if she doesn’t deliver before then. The babies are growing quickly now and they are afraid they will get too big to deliver. They are both already in great position for vaginal birth and the OB’s are hoping to avoid a cesarean. So 5 weeks (or less) before we meet these little ones. I hope she carries 5 more weeks though so we can avoid a long NICU stay.[/quote]

Chicken noodle soup sounds great, Unie! It was your daughter’s birthday? [name]Happy[/name] Birthday, [name]Liberty[/name]! :slight_smile: I hope she had a great day! (I just gave her a Birthday thread…) :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] exciting about the babies! [name]Do[/name] they have names yet? I really hope you’ll update us when they’re born! :slight_smile:

Take care!