Brighton

[name]Brighton[/name] is listed as a girl’s name, but I just can not imagine a little girl with this name. I like it, but for a boy. I think it’s strong and very handsome. What are your thoughts about it?

When I read the title I thought it would be about a boys name but now I can kind of see how it could be both. It sounds nice but there is a suburb where I live near the beach called [name]Brighton[/name] so I can only think of that. It actually reminds me a bit of [name]Bridget[/name] too, the more I look at it.

I have a friend with a little girl named [name]Brighton[/name]. I see it as a girls name. There is a jewelry company called [name]Brighton[/name] (well accessories) and thats probably why I add the association to it being a female name.

I see it as a kind of western name for a little girl. [name]Levi[/name], [name]Brighton[/name], [name]Carter[/name], [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Cheyenne[/name], etc.

It’s a great place name but that’s about it. I’d never give it to a child.

I think it does sound more like name for a boy too but I struggle with most place names anyway.

It has potential to be kind of cute for a little girl. If parents want a more masculine name for their daughters I prefer surnames to actual boys’ names. I could imagine [name]Brighton[/name]'s sisters being named [name]Kendall[/name], [name]Chandler[/name], [name]Cassidy[/name], etc.

I like it for a boy, not too much for a girl. Cute nn [name]Bright[/name], I think.

When I see [name]Brighton[/name], I think of the infamous place in [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]'s Pride and Prejudice. (“It want to go to [name]Brighton[/name]!”). That said, it is an appealing place name.

The [name]Brighton[/name] literary association I have is with [name]Brighton[/name] [name]Rock[/name], [name]Graham[/name] [name]Greene[/name]'s utterly depressing novel. Probably not the most commonly read novel, but a strong negative association.

I actually live in [name]Brighton[/name] - the one in Massachusetts, [name]America[/name]. It is part of [name]Boston[/name]. I don’t like it for a name, neither for a girl nor a boy. It seems a little prissy for either! Although [name]Brighton[/name], MA is not that prissy. It sounds like brighten. That seems a lot to live up to. I could not imagine being called “[name]Bright[/name]” for a nickname. They had better be in the tops of the class, or get a lot of jokes if the teacher calls on them and don’t know the answer.

I don’t have a literary association with the name. The son on “The [name]Nanny[/name]” was named [name]Brighton[/name]. His sisters were [name]Margaret[/name] “[name]Maggie[/name],” and [name]Grace[/name], and their father was English, a fictional theater producer, [name]Maxwell[/name] [name]Sheffield[/name], played by [name]Charles[/name] Shaughnessy.