Bring back Susan!

I never thought I would be saying this but I am ready to meet a little [name_f]Susan[/name_f]. Or [name_f]Sue[/name_f].

Or [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Deborah[/name_f], [name_u]Joan[/name_u], [name_f]Shirley[/name_f], [name_f]Sandra[/name_f], [name_f]Doris[/name_f], [name_f]Thelma[/name_f], [name_f]Helma[/name_f], [name_f]Peg[/name_f], [name_f]Barbara[/name_f], or [name_f]Carol[/name_f].

And [name_f]Beverly[/name_f], which is so much more REAL than [name_u]Everly[/name_u].

Names that are solid, dependable, forthright.

Names that are clearly female, but are not romantic with endless a’s.

Names that are not embarrassing like [name_f]Goddess[/name_f], [name_f]Princess[/name_f], [name_f]Precious[/name_f].

Names that are spelled right.

Names that are names.

[name_f]Ida[/name_f] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and [name_f]Edna[/name_f] and [name_f]Dinah[/name_f] and [name_f]Beulah[/name_f] and [name_f]Gladys[/name_f] and [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] and [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] and [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f].

Oh, and [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] and [name_f]Mamie[/name_f].

These are the names about which I am currently rhapsodic.

I am pretty sure my fervor is fueled largely by seeing which names are popular on nameberry and sometimes - too often – thinking, ack, I hate that name/word.

When I see Biloxi marked pink or [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_m]Charles[/name_m] or [name_u]Michael[/name_u], how can I help but yearn for [name_f]Enid[/name_f], even [name_f]Elmira[/name_f]?

Is it just me? (I am in my early 50’s, so am probably awash with age-related nostalgia anyway!)

[name_f]Patricia[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Dolly[/name_f], [name_f]Laurel[/name_f], [name_f]Lolly[/name_f], [name_f]Holly[/name_f], [name_f]Christine[/name_f], and [name_f]Mercy[/name_f].

Quite a few of these are on my own lists, [name_f]Ada[/name_f] being one of my favourites. I feel your pain, I work in a child care centre as part of a college placement, and currently, there are two, non related boys, named [name_m]Bryton[/name_m] and Bryden. Not to mention the [name_f]Jazmyn[/name_f]'s.

However, some of the children are beautifully named, [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_u]Josie[/name_u], [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], [name_f]Karina[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], etc.

I would love to see quite a few of these come back though. Some that you’ve listed are in active use in the UK though, it seems.

Yes, I am English in origin and have often wished my ancestors had never left!

There are some lovely newer sounding names being used now. I just wish for a greater variety of names to be used. I have about 10 years left as a teacher and I figure the rest of those years will be filled with the same old names. But I have hopes that greater variety is on the horizon and that someday I will meet that [name_u]Baby[/name_u] [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and Toddler [name_f]Sue[/name_f] (like in THe [name_f]Happy[/name_f] Hollisters!) and [name_m]Little[/name_m] Girl [name_f]Barbara[/name_f]!

Well [name_f]Holly[/name_f]'s still popular here and [name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Dolly[/name_f], [name_f]Ida[/name_f] and [name_f]Peg[/name_f] are gaining popularity as vintage gems. Although I prefer these actual names to random words like [name_f]Princess[/name_f] and [name_f]Heaven[/name_f], I feel that most of the others are still mum/grandma names. Not ripe for a long while yet.

And to me, a lolly is an ice pole, not a name :stuck_out_tongue:

Have to ask, what is an ice pole? :slight_smile:

I think you’d call it a popsicle. A lolly also refers to the smaller hard sweets on sticks but I’ve no idea what they’re called in the US (and it’s also slang for money :p)

I know a college girl named [name_f]Susan[/name_f]. Its a very pretty name.

I totally get you - I actually find it a bit annoying when people claim they love vintage names, swoon over [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] but entirely dismiss names from a decade or two later. I’ve even heard trendy [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] slated on here… and [name_f]Florence[/name_f]! Neither of those are dated at all to me, never mind ‘‘clunky’’. (haha, just realised they happen to be the Prime Minister’s children’s names).

I know a little [name_u]Jean[/name_u] and a little [name_f]Jill[/name_f] both born to trendy, young, Londoner parents. Adorable! I’m also so happy that [name_f]Lana[/name_f] is making a comeback on the same train as [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Bella[/name_f] - she feels much more dated but still just as lovely. I guess [name_f]Lana[/name_f] [name_u]Del[/name_u] [name_m]Rey[/name_m] is to thank for that.

I love [name_f]Jill[/name_f] especially, and [name_f]Gillian[/name_f] has been put on my list recently. And [name_f]Geraldine[/name_f]! I’ve never been able to like [name_f]Susan[/name_f]/[name_f]Susannah[/name_f] much, but I do really adore [name_f]Susie[/name_f] right now. Eek! [name_u]Baby[/name_u] [name_f]Susie[/name_f]! [name_f]Sue[/name_f] is also quite appealing to me for some reason.

I like [name_f]Karen[/name_f] more than I should - probably because of the little girl on Outnumbered; her actual name is [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] which would have been so much better for the character, but I’m glad they used [name_f]Karen[/name_f], even if it was just the mistake of out-of-touch writers (anyone else notice her friend’s names are equally 60s/70s? [name_f]Tanya[/name_f], [name_f]Katrina[/name_f], Floella - yes, like Floella [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]!)

I believe you’re thinking of a lollipop/sucker :stuck_out_tongue:

[name_f]Susan[/name_f] is making a comeback in my town. I know three girls under the aged 2 and under with the name. I think it is adorable. We also have an Idabel, nickname [name_f]Ida[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] cousin’s daughter is [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]. It takes two hands to count all of the [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]'s I know that are under the age of ten.

Maybe the day when these names come back isn’t so far off after all? I hope so. I’d love to meet a little [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f], a little [name_f]Gladys[/name_f], a little [name_f]Muriel[/name_f]…

This is heartening! [name_f]Susan[/name_f], [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]. and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] are four of my biggest favorites.

Because I teach high school students and my young (step) grandkids live a good distance away, I have very little contact with little kids and what they are actually being named.

I don’t like the modern world’s trend of people being so separated by age, marital status, kids (or no kids’) ages. We are in our 50’s (me) and 60’s (my husband) and we miss knowing more little kids. With all the Stranger [name_m]Danger[/name_m] fears though, it’s hard to know how to befriend any!

PS I am very excited though to have had two little nephews born this year ([name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Randall[/name_m] and [name_u]Hudson[/name_u] [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m])!

[name_f]Muriel[/name_f] would be adorable! I’m sort of hoping that [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] will eventually bring [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] back too.

Oh, Idabel! So pretty! [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is one of my favourites too.