Broadway!

Hello, everyone! I recently made a CAF Broadway Quiz, and the response it got made me realize there are quite a few Broadway fans here! I love musicals and plays, and I was wondering if other people would be interested on creating a thread to talk about what we love!

I guess the question would be, what is your all time favorite musical, or your favorite one at the moment?

I have quite a few, but I think my favorite one is [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f] and the Angry Inch. The music is phenomenal, and I love the story. I especially love the 2014 Revival.

What about you? Can’t wait to read your responses!

Not a big Threatre/Musical fan but I’m currently taking a theatre class at my college and one of the homeworks we were assigned was to pick a random musical and watch it. Well I picked Oklahoma! and I totally loved it! I watched the 1998 version with [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] Jackman. The music was pretty catchy and even though the story line was a little mediocre it really kept me interested! My favorite song was Surrey with The Fringe on Top. Another good one was It’s a Scandal! It’s an Outrage!. I totally recommend it to anyone looking to get into theatre in general :slight_smile:

@Saintdollface, that’s awesome! I’ve never listened to Oklahoma!, since I wasn’t sure I would like it, but I will watch the movie! I’m a bug fan of [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] Jackman so I’m excited! That class sounds awesome, I wish I had that homework!

I’m a big musicals fan!

My all time favourite is (predictably) [name_u]Les[/name_u] Miserables. I just adore it.

But I also love [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m], Phantom, [name_m]Little[/name_m] Shop of Horrors, Avenue Q, In the Heights… Really I could just keep going there are so many I enjoy.

What is your least favourite that you’ve listened to/seen?

1 Like

@maerad, I love [name_u]Les[/name_u] Mis! I saw the 2012 movie like 5 times in theatres haha. Also love [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m], In the Heights, Avenue Q, etc. so excellent taste!

I guess my least favorite musical I’ve seen is Cats. I think I would like it if I saw it on stage, but I watched the movie and I was confused the whole time. Though I love Memory haha. What about you?

I love musicals! My all time favourite is The Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f], I used to watch the move adaptation a lot as a child and saw it twice at the theatre - I always used to wish that I got a part as one of the [name_m]Von[/name_m] Trapp children in a production of the show as a child, lol, so I taught myself all the songs off by heart and I can still remember them. I joined a drama club for 8 years because of my passion for the Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f] as well and visited Salzburg on a Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f] tour in [name_f]Austria[/name_f], so you could say I was somewhat of a fangirl lol :wink:

My other favourites are [name_u]Les[/name_u] Miserables, Funny Girl, An American In [name_u]Paris[/name_u], Anything Goes (I had a bit choral part in a production of the show at secondary school), les cages aux folles and the musical adaptation of the [name_m]Lion[/name_m] [name_m]King[/name_m] and [name_u]West[/name_u] Side [name_u]Story[/name_u].

OMG, @[name_f]Adelina[/name_f], that was me as a child! I loved the Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f] and would pretend to be part of the [name_m]Von[/name_m] Trapp family! In that part of the movie where they are all lined up and march to say their names, I would pretend I was part of the kids and would say my name haha. It’s awesome you joined a drama club for 8 years because of it. Did you enjoy it?

I really like An American in [name_u]Paris[/name_u] and Anything Goes (I watch the [name_u]Tony[/name_u] performance with [name_u]Sutton[/name_u] [name_m]Foster[/name_m] often). I’ve also been meaning to listen to Funny Girl and [name_u]Les[/name_u] Cages Aux Folles!

The least favourite ones I’ve seen were [name_m]Chess[/name_m] and [name_u]West[/name_u] Side [name_u]Story[/name_u], not so much for the music which I think is generally quite good in both, I just really don’t care for the stories. I’ve never liked [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] so [name_u]West[/name_u] Side [name_u]Story[/name_u] was always going to be a hard sell for me.

I also did drama until I was 11, and then got to high school and realised I am actually incredibly stage shy. I’d love to be able to perform, but I just hate it when I’m actually out there doing it!

I saw A Gentleman’s Guide to [name_u]Love[/name_u] and Murder actually on Broadway (I’m a [name_u]Brit[/name_u], so the [name_u]West[/name_u] End is my usual venue) and we picked it almost at random because it was something none of us had seen. It was really good. Looking back I think we probably could have tried to see [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] with the original cast, but none of us knew about it then. And Gentleman’s Guide was so good!

I enjoy the music of [name_u]West[/name_u] Side [name_u]Story[/name_u] and a couple of songs from [name_m]Chess[/name_m], but yeah I’m not that into them. One time I watched like 6 musical movies in a day and WSS was the last one so I think that also affected my perception of it. I would have liked to see [name_m]Chess[/name_m] earlier this year in [name_m]Washington[/name_m] DC with [name_m]Raul[/name_m] Esparza, [name_f]Karen[/name_f] Olivo and Ramin Karimloo, but I’m not too upset I didn’t see it lol.

I tried doing drama my Sophomore year of High School, and also realized I’m actually not a great actress and get really nervous so I dropped it. I have acted in tiny plays in college but just for fun nothing serious lol. Now I’m more into backstage things like props and costumes.

Ohh I like A Gentleman’s Guide! I was actually listening to the cast album a few days ago. I feel that about [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m]! I remember a friend telling me about it even before it opened, but I didn’t get into it until like 6 months later. But I got to see a couple musicals at random, like Groundhog [name_u]Day[/name_u] (which didn’t get the best reviews but I loved it) and Bandstand.

@sofiaishere: I did enjoy it very much; and I think I gained a lot of confidence in it. I was always one of those young children who would love to perform in front of people, but as I was halfway through primary school I became a lot shyer, so I think drama boosted me back up again on the stage (even though I was still terrified of public speaking though I’ve now overcome that as well). There were always arguments and competitions for the main part, but I was one of those who didn’t really mind what part I got as long as I had a couple of lines and was on the stage. I got the main part in the last play I performed, which was quite nice because most of the people in my group had been attending for a similar length of time as me or longer, so it was like a big time to show my improvements. When I go to university next month I plan to join a drama society.

@[name_f]Adelina[/name_f], that’s awesome it helped you so much! I think public speaking and confidence are so essential for any job. Let us know how the drama society goes! I think it’s amazing you want to continue acting because you enjoy doing it and not like a competition (which isn’t bad either ofc). And congrats on getting the main part! What play was it?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you guys have a play or musical that you really want to see? Could be on Broadway or not.

I actually went to see a Broadway musical yesterday! I went to visit my friend who’s vacationing in [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_m]York[/name_m] City. We entered the lottery to win $32 front row tickets to Book of Mormon and I won! My best friend and I sat front row and her mom sat in the box seats above us. It was a really funny show and I had so much fun.

I’m a tap dancer so the musical I absolutely want to see is 42nd [name_m]Street[/name_m]. We’ve learned some of their dances in the past and I’d love to see it in person! I’ve also seen Wicked when it went on tour in Kansas City 5 years ago.

[name_u]Les[/name_u] Mis is my absolute favorite! I’ve seen the national tour a handful of times. I have the two concert DVDs, two movies, and [name_m]Victor[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]'s book. Obsessed.

I’ve also seen the national tours of Wicked, The Book of Mormon, and In The Heights

The only show I’ve seen on Broadway was Legally Blonde on Broadway and it was [name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u] Bundy’s third to last show. It was incredible! I’m going to NYC in 3 weeks and I wish I had time to go see Wicked with [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] Vosk (the Elphie I saw in [name_m]Boston[/name_m]) and Mean Girls but it’s not happening this trip. :frowning:

I’ve seen a bunch of shows at a regional theatre like [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Pan[/name_m], [name_m]Young[/name_m] Frankenstein, Hairspray, [name_f]Evita[/name_f], Mamma [name_f]Mia[/name_f].

However, I listen to Mean Girls non-stop, I love it so much. [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] would be a dream and I’m hoping to see the national tour when it comes around again. Tickets this go are just so expensive.

Although I don’t condone the illegality of it, I’m grateful for youtube recordings of Mean Girls, Wicked, and [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m]. Also the legal screenings on Netflix with Shrek and Newsies’ stage productions and of course, a handful of movie musicals.

My favorite Broadway actor of all time is [name_u]Sutton[/name_u] [name_m]Foster[/name_m] but [name_f]Alli[/name_f] Mauzey, [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] Louderman, [name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u] Bundy, [name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_m]Rockwell[/name_m], [name_m]Christian[/name_m] Borle, [name_m]Ben[/name_m] [name_m]Platt[/name_m], [name_f]Lin[/name_f]-[name_m]Manuel[/name_m] [name_f]Miranda[/name_f], [name_f]Kristin[/name_f] Chenoweth, [name_u]Sierra[/name_u] Boggess. I could go on and on!

I just love Broadway and international versions of the shows!

Edited: I’ve also seen the national tours of Phantom and Evita. Plus Riverdance but I don’t think that qualities as Broadway.

OMG , @[name_u]Abby[/name_u] that’s amazing! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I’ve been wanting to see The Book of Mormon for a while, maybe I should try the lottery. Also, it’s so cool you are a tap dancer! [name_m]How[/name_m] long have you been dancing for?

@[name_f]Jessica[/name_f], that’s so funny, I’m listening to Legally Blonde right now! It’s so amazing you saw [name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u] Bundy. I’m sorry you can’t see Mean Girls or Wicked in your trip :frowning: I haven’t seen Mean Girls either, tho I want to. And I agree with about the bootlegs. I understand why they are illegal 100%, but I’ve been able to watch some old shows that I love and wasn’t able to see live. And even shows that I saw live ([name_f]Hedwig[/name_f]) but want to rewatch often lol. I adore [name_u]Sutton[/name_u] [name_m]Foster[/name_m], [name_f]Lin[/name_f] [name_m]Manuel[/name_m] [name_f]Miranda[/name_f], [name_m]Ben[/name_m] [name_m]Platt[/name_m], and basically everyone you mentioned. I also love [name_u]Andy[/name_u] Mientus, [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_u]Arden[/name_u] (I love his revivals of [name_f]Spring[/name_f] Awakening and Once on this Island), [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] Kilgore (she’s so young!), [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] Mueller, [name_f]Laura[/name_f] Osnes, [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] Boyle (not musical actor, but he was great in Cursed Child), and probably many more I can’t think of rn.

Broadway is the best lol (but expensive)

1 Like

@[name_f]Sofia[/name_f], it was very funny and I’d love to see it again! I’ve been dancing for almost 15 years now.

@[name_u]Abby[/name_u], that’s amazing! I really want to see it. I’ve only ever seen the I Believe [name_u]Tony[/name_u] performance lol. What’s your favorite thing about dancing?

Ahh omg, I’m so upset with myself that I blanked. I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Spring[/name_f] Awakening too! The Deaf [name_u]West[/name_u] production is so so beautiful, I wish they went on tour!

@[name_f]Jessica[/name_f], omg yes!! I absolutely adore it. The way he captured the communication issues with having hearing parents and deaf children was amazing. [name_m]Ah[/name_m] I could talk about it all day lol.

I love soooo many musicals. The Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f] was one of my childhood favorites! :smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] absolute most favorite musical ever is Dear [name_u]Evan[/name_u] [name_m]Hansen[/name_m]!!! :tshirt: :deciduous_tree: :grin:

WAIT I JUST SAW THIS!!! Sorry [name_m]Ben[/name_m] [name_m]Platt[/name_m] is just reallllyyy realllyyy great and amazing and I love him so much :star_struck: lol