Broderick?

My husband and I are just having fun with names for right now and I wanted to get some input.

[name]Vincent[/name] is my favorite name for a boy. My husband’s is [name]Riley[/name] (which will not be used because it was th name that was going to be [name]Mackenzie[/name]'s (my step-daughter) name if she were a boy, with his ex). I also like the name [name]Derek[/name] and he liked [name]Brody[/name] and as a compromise we got [name]Broderick[/name]. I like the name, it’s different without being crazy. It has nine letters like [name]Mackenzie[/name] and my husband likes that idea of the same letters because him and I both have four letter names (it might limit names for other possible children though). It’s got a few nick name possibilities. The only thing that puts me off of it a little bit is the actor [name]Matthew[/name] Brodderick.

What do you berries think of it?

[name]Mackenzie[/name] and [name]Broderick[/name] make a wonderful sibset :smiley:

I love that [name]Broderick[/name] means “brother” and that he will be [name]Mackenzie[/name]'s brother! (I dislike the meaning of [name]Brody[/name] “ditch”, but [name]Derek[/name] “ruler of the people” isn’t a bad meaning).

And while the number of letters is tempting… My name has 7 letters (as does my middle name and maiden name, my hubby’s surname has 5 and messed up my pattern!), my hubby’s name has 7 letters, and our eldest son’s name has 7 letters - however, our youngest son’s name has 9 letters. I love his name too much to worry about breaking the pattern. And I strongly recommend not letting yourself feel roped into a pattern. If it all works out, that’s fine, but just don’t let it set your limits :wink:

As for the name itself - I think it works well. It sounds similar enough to the popular [name]Brody[/name] and [name]Derek[/name], yet is unique enough that he will probably not have to ever worry about sharing his name in school or at work. It can easily lend itself to multiple nicknames if he decides that [name]Broderick[/name] is too (place adjective here), and will work well from infancy to adulthood to grandparent-hood. (That is, it will sound cute on a baby, be fresh and young for a boy, adjust well and sound manly for the teenage/young adult years, work well in a workplace setting, and not sound off on a grandparent).

[name]Hope[/name] this helps :slight_smile:

Thank you nyx! I honestly didn’t look up the meaning of [name]Broderick[/name], but I think it’s sweet that it means ‘‘brother’’. About the number of letters thing, my husband is really liking the idea… I’m not huge on it. I don’t think I’d settle on a name just because of it.