Brother for Celia and Sebastian: Bennett or what?

Sibset: [name_u]Bennett[/name_u], [name_f]Celia[/name_f] & [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]

I like [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] but I’m afraid it’s too “American preppy” as in the name is usually paired with names like [name_u]Spencer[/name_u], [name_u]Carter[/name_u], [name_m]Graham[/name_m], Blaine, Blair, [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] and [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]. In [name_m]Britain[/name_m], [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] is associated with [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] is Irish, Blaine and Blair are Scottish. I don’t know what upper class Americans think when they use ethnic Scottish and Irish names for their children. Anyway, what do you guys think of Bennett? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, these are the names that we can’t use/don’t want to use: [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_u]Julian[/name_u], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]George[/name_u], [name_m]Charles[/name_m]

I agree with your feelings about the preppiness of bennet - it doesn’t really have the same vibe. Because both [name_f]Celia[/name_f] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] are Shakespearean names (as you like it and twelfth night respectively), that could be a good starting place for looking for a name with a similar sound, as well as a sweet thread that ties them together.

Here are some ideas based off of that:
[name_m]Adrian[/name_m] (has the ‘ia’ sound to link it to his siblings’ names,
[name_m]Antonio[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassian[/name_m] (there technically isn’t a [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] in any of his works, but there’s a [name_u]Cassio[/name_u] and a [name_m]Cassius[/name_m], so this is close enough; I think it sounds better with your sibset than the originals)
[name_u]Corin[/name_u]
[name_u]Curtis[/name_u]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Fabian[/name_m]
[name_m]Griffith[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucio[/name_m]
[name_m]Orlando[/name_m] (I love this option, but it may not be your style)
[name_u]Toby[/name_u] (could be short for [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] or [name_u]Tobin[/name_u])
[name_u]Valentine[/name_u]

Good luck finding something that works for you!

Bennett, [name_f]Celia[/name_f] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] are a great set

I prefer [name_u]Beckett[/name_u] to [name_u]Bennett[/name_u]

But I feel as though [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] fits nicely with your sibset.

Some other ideas

Celia, [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], & ______:

Tully
[name_m]Alastair[/name_m]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucien[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Albie[/name_m]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_m]Ansel[/name_m]
[name_u]Callum[/name_u]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Crispin[/name_m] “[name_m]Kip[/name_m]”
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Darius[/name_m]

I think [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] is a bit preppy. But it’s the person who makes the name, not the name who makes the person. So if your family is pretty down to earth then I don’t see the problem, or if you are a yuppie and that’s just your thing.

Also in regards to naming, a lot of white American’s still look for ways to identify with their European ancestry and I think that’s where many white baby name trends come from. I also feel that Western Europe tends to lead naming trends, and the US will follow suit five or so years later. I think the popularity of [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] was more about following a trend than it was about using an Irish name.

I agree the other post mentioning [name_u]Beckett[/name_u]. It is TRENDY and that could be a deal breaker, but I think it flows better with [name_f]Celia[/name_f] & [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m].

Some other suggestions:
[name_u]Declan[/name_u]
[name_u]Wyatt[/name_u]
[name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] (perfect to round out the S sound set)
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]

Although I am I big fan of [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] I don’t love it with [name_f]Celia[/name_f] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]. I think [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] [name_f]May[/name_f] fit better as a sibling if you still want a b name.

My immediate thoughts were [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] and the “S” when hearing your older 2

So if your looking for suggestions which I think fit the Shakespearean C/S;

Spencer (which I rather like, [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] was phenomenal)
[name_m]Cornelius[/name_m]
[name_m]Sampson[/name_m]
Curan

1 Like

American here! I really like [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] in the sibset. It does have a bit of a preppy feel to it but honestly, it’s about the same level of preppiness as [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] has for me.

Theodore
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u]

1 Like

I think it is nice but for reasons others have suggested I might be a bit reluctant to use it. I also prefer [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
I also think [name_m]Fabian[/name_m], [name_u]Julian[/name_u] and [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] work with [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m].
Also
[name_m]Harrington[/name_m]
[name_u]Jameson[/name_u]
[name_m]Merrick[/name_m]
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] they all could work.

I like the sibset [name_u]Bennett[/name_u], [name_f]Celia[/name_f] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]! [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] is a great suggestion! What about [name_m]Bernard[/name_m]?

1 Like

While [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] is on the preppy side, I also feel [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] (especially if called [name_m]Seb[/name_m] for whatever reason) gives a similar preppy vibe to my American ears. However, [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] does seem less romantic sounding than your other children’s. That being said, I think that [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] do work together!

You might also like [name_m]Edgar[/name_m], [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_u]Callum[/name_u], [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_m]Ewan[/name_m], [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Piers[/name_m], and [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m].

Bennett reminds me of pride and prejudice. [name_f]Celia[/name_f] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] are a literary sibset to me. Not sure if that helps you see a different light on it.
I’m Australian and [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] would almost definitely be called [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. I’m not sure that it’s my favourite but its nice and I wouldn’t call it preppy. Maybe a bit posh or arty perhaps.

1 Like

Bennett in [name_u]America[/name_u] I would definitely say has a preppy flavor. But in the UK with siblings [name_f]Celia[/name_f] & [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] the impression is much more literary like @meek said. (to me anyway). [name_f]My[/name_f] issue would be the crisp consonant-heavy sound…“[name_f]Celia[/name_f] & [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]” sounds so soft and lyrical - again quoting @meek “romantic.” Although sometimes contrast is a good thing!

If you like [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] & [name_u]Bennett[/name_u], you might like…

Sullivan
[name_u]Sutton[/name_u] (eye on your user name ;p)
[name_m]Louis[/name_m] (Fr. pronunciation)
[name_m]Albert[/name_m]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_u]Davis[/name_u]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Colin[/name_m]
[name_m]Thayer[/name_m]
[name_m]Baxter[/name_m]
[name_u]Quinlan[/name_u]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
[name_u]Bridger[/name_u]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]

I think they sound wonderful together!

I say go with whatever name you like. Doesn’t have to “go” with other kids names.