Brother for Finley Ransom

I posted a thread earlier about a sibling for [name]Finley[/name] [name]Ransom[/name], and we now know it’s a boy! What do you think about these names for our newest little man?

[name]James[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Paul[/name]
[name]Brahm[/name] (it is a diminutive form of [name]Abraham[/name] as well as a nod to the composer!)
[name]Kellen[/name] (this may be a bad choice, given or last name sounds like “Kick”)
[name]Stellen[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Fox[/name] (a little out there, but I really like it!)

[quote=“amaryllis”]I posted a thread earlier about a sibling for [name]Finley[/name] [name]Ransom[/name], and we now know it’s a boy! What do you think about these names for our newest little man?

[name]James[/name] - love
[name]Henry[/name] - love
[name]Levi[/name] - this is a handsome name, but for some reason I’m not wild about it.
[name]Paul[/name] - love but it’s not in style right now.
[name]Brahm[/name] (it is a diminutive form of [name]Abraham[/name] as well as a nod to the composer!)
[name]Kellen[/name] (this may be a bad choice, given or last name sounds like “Kick”) - I think [name]Kellan[/name] with an “a” is softer.
[name]Stellen[/name] - I love it spelled [name]Stellan[/name]
[name]William[/name] - love so much!
[name]Fox[/name] - I have to think about it with your last name.

I’m sorry, I wasn’t thinking of whether the above names go with [name]Finley[/name]. [name]Finley[/name] and…
[name]Levi[/name]…nice
[name]Bram[/name], rather than [name]Brahm[/name]
[name]Stellan[/name]
all the above names go well with [name]Finley[/name], also:
[name]Ansel[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Brice[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Ewan[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Jules[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Niall[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Topher[/name]
[name]Vance[/name]
[name]Walker[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]

[name]James[/name]: I think this is so handsome, and I can see [name]James[/name] and [name]Finley[/name] being brothers.
With a short last name, though, I think I’d personally go with a longer first name.

[name]Henry[/name]: I really love this, too.

[name]Levi[/name]: I prefer some of your other names, because with [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Levi[/name], I hear a lot of “lee.”

[name]Paul[/name]: I do think it’s handsome, but I think that some of your other names work better with [name]Finley[/name].

[name]Brahm[/name] (it is a diminutive form of [name]Abraham[/name] as well as a nod to the composer!): I knew a [name]Bram[/name] (nn for [name]Abraham[/name]) growing up, and think that works well with [name]Finley[/name]. I can’t see [name]Brahm[/name] with [name]Finley[/name], though. If your last name sounds like Kick, I think a longer first name would sound great.

[name]Kellen[/name] (this may be a bad choice, given or last name sounds like “Kick”): I love alliteration, but do unfortunately think that [name]Kellen[/name] Kick is a bit too sing-songy. :frowning:

[name]Stellen[/name]: I think that [name]Stellan[/name] is a great alternative to [name]Kellan[/name], especially with a K last name!

[name]William[/name]: I can see [name]Will[/name] and [name]Finley[/name] as brothers, but if your last name sounds like Kick, [name]Will[/name] Kick sounds a bit like a partial sentence.

[name]Fox[/name]: I think that [name]Fox[/name] Kick sounds a bit blunt, and I’m wondering if “foxy” teasing will arise, or if teasing will stem from [name]Fox[/name] sounding a bit like Fcks. (I went to camp with a girl a girl whose last name was [name]Fox[/name]–I’ll pretend her first name was [name]Julie[/name]–and mean kids sadly called her "[name]Julie[/name] Fcks.") I know that teasing is unpredictable, but some names just seem to more likely to be teased than others. :frowning:

From your list, I really love [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Stellan[/name] Kick with [name]Finley[/name].

If I can only vote for one, I’ll go with [name]Stellan[/name] Kick, because I think it works beautifully with [name]Finley[/name], and without having the same ending sound.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the feedback. I think at this time, I’m going to take [name]Kellen[/name], [name]William[/name] and [name]Paul[/name] off the list. I like the rest of them too much to let them go! I am favoring [name]James[/name], [name]Stellen[/name] and [name]Brahm[/name] right now.

I did have a question for both of you who responded - you said you could see [name]Bram[/name] instead of [name]Brahm[/name] as a good name for [name]Finley[/name]'s brother. I have never heard of or seen the name [name]Bram[/name], is it pronounced any differently than [name]Brahm[/name], or is it just a spelling change?

Thanks again!

I really like [name]James[/name] and [name]Stellan[/name] with [name]Finley[/name]. [name]Brahm[/name] is just not familiar to me as baby name so it’s going to take me a little bit to adjust to it. I like the way it sounds though and love the musical connection.

[name]Bram[/name] is a nn for [name]Abraham[/name]. Oh I just looked up [name]Brahm[/name] on “check out a name” and it’s on Nameberry. Well, I hadn’t heard of it before. [name]How[/name] do you pronounce it? [name]Bram[/name] was [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Bronte[/name]'s brother, I think, and also a character in [name]Ichabod[/name] [name]Crane[/name] - [name]Bram[/name] Bones. I think [name]Bram[/name] is a cute name. Also love [name]Stellan[/name], but my husband says it sounds like Stalin.

[name]Brahm[/name] is pronounced like the composer without the “s” at the end. BRA-m, with an “ah” sound. That’s how I pronounce [name]Bram[/name] in my head, too, but I could also see how people would pronounce it b-[name]RAM[/name], like the animal with a b in front.

I’m simply curious, as I’d never seen [name]Bram[/name] before, and I’m just recently acquainted with the name [name]Brahm[/name].

Thanks!

The [name]Bram[/name] I knew (well, now that I think about it, I knew two), pronounced his name B-ram, like “bran” but with an m.

I guess I have a hard time seeing the [name]Brahm[/name] pronunciation (I knew you intended it to sound like the composer) with the more modern sounding [name]Finley[/name], because I associate that name/pronunciation so closely with [name]Brahms[/name], not to mention [name]Bach[/name] and [name]Mozart[/name]. (It may also be because I’m so used to [name]Bram[/name].) [name]Brahm[/name] just feels very classical and aristocratic to me, a completely different feel to me than the handsome, rugged, more modern feel I get from [name]Finley[/name].

That said, I do think that your preferred pronunciation is very handsome, and I’ll work on saying [name]Brahm[/name] and [name]Finley[/name] together. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Thank you for the clarification on the pronounciation! I think I prefer the “ah” pronounciation, as the “b-[name]Ram[/name]” version reminds me too much of [name]Bran[/name] cereal, and having never met anyone with that name, I don’t have a personal connection with it. The little boy I met named [name]Brahm[/name] was adorable, spunky and fun, so I have good connotations with that version.

All that said, I am still considering [name]James[/name], [name]Henry[/name] and some of the other names, so we may not even end up using [name]Brahm[/name]!

I do thank everyone for their advice and help - I really appreciate it!

Ok…I’m loving the name [name]Stellan[/name] with [name]Finley[/name] lately. [name]Do[/name] you think these names go well together for brothers? And if so, do you know of any nicknames for [name]Stellan[/name]? I call [name]Finley[/name] [name]Finn[/name] most of the time, if it helps!

I just love [name]Stellan[/name] and [name]Finley[/name]/[name]Finn[/name]! You could call him Stel, [name]Stan[/name] (granted, it’s not 100% cool), Lan, etc.

Good luck!

I love names without nicknames! [name]Stellan[/name] isn’t that long!

I love it together with [name]Finley[/name]!

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback! After thinking about it for a while and talking to DH, we are 80% sure we will go with [name]James[/name] [name]Arthur[/name]. With our last name, his initials will be [name]JAK[/name], so we’ll most likely call him [name]Jack[/name] for short.

[name]James[/name] was a name that we considered for our first son, but it didn’t seem to fit him. Now I have a strong pull toward this name, should it be a boy (the ultrasound may be wrong!). I’ll wait until he gets here to make sure the name fits this time, of course!

Thanks again for your help! We are now trying to nail down a girl’s name, just in case. I have a thread going in the Girl’s Names section called “The Ultrasound [name]May[/name] Have Been Wrong!..” Any help there would be appreciated!

[name]James[/name] the beautiful [name]James[/name] will go beautifully with [name]Finley[/name]. [name]Stellan[/name] matches with [name]Finley[/name] but I would hate someone to misunderstand the pronunciation and think I said, “my child’s name is Stalin.”

More names

[name]Kendrick[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Jared[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Granger[/name]
[name]Ethan[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Evan[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Curtis[/name]
[name]Kirk[/name]
[name]Blair[/name]
[name]Cade[/name]

Can I suggest more that would be perfect with [name]Finley[/name]?
[name]Brody[/name] [name]Ashton[/name]
[name]Campbell[/name] [name]Jamie[/name]
[name]Dallas[/name] [name]Haven[/name]
[name]Lennox[/name] [name]Cooper[/name]

i do love [name]James[/name]! [name]Fox[/name] would be a super cute middle name: [name]James[/name] [name]Fox[/name]. I know a [name]Stellan[/name] who is about three, his mom calls him Stel. The name reminds me of the super popular girls name [name]Stella[/name].