brother for harper

I’m trying to come up with a name for a boy – we have a three year old daughter named [name]Harper[/name], and the three names that my husband and I both like so far (there’s an endless list we can’t agree on, but oh well)

[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Eliot[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]

but I worry that [name]Otto[/name] is too dorky, I really like [name]Eliot[/name] but when I ran it by our daughter she said “[name]Eliot[/name]. Sounds like idiot. that means stupid.” which didn’t inspire confidence, and I’m worried that [name]Dashiell[/name] will be hard to pronounce (my husband’s last name is long and lithuanian and hard to pronounce.) Oh, and I’d like to use the middle name [name]Howard[/name] which was my late father’s name.

Any amazing advice – one these names or other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I don’t think [name]Otto[/name] is dorky at all! If the last name is hard to pronounce, I would lean toward using a first name that is easy to spell and pronounce (it would be so frustrating to constantly correct people on both names!) I think [name]Otto[/name] is perfect for that reason, too.

I see [name]Eliot[/name] as a ‘softer’ boys name, so I don’t know if I like it paired with [name]Harper[/name] that much. [name]Dashiell[/name] is great, I think [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Howard[/name] sounds wonderful…but there could be pronunciation issues for those not familiar with it. Where do you live?

Thanks for the advice–I’m glad you like [name]Otto[/name].
We live in Chicago–I know of a couple of Dashiells
from New [name]York[/name], but none in Chicago.

[name]Otto[/name] reminds me of otters and I don’t think it goes very well with [name]Harper[/name]. [name]How[/name] about [name]Otis[/name]?
other ideas-
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Deacon[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]

[name]Otto[/name] is not really a good match for [name]Harper[/name]. Although [name]Eliot[/name] and [name]Dashiell[/name] would be better paired with [name]Harper[/name], I would have concerns regarding these names. [name]Eliot[/name] is not strong or masculine enough for [name]Harper[/name] and [name]Dashiell[/name] may be too much with your long Lithuanian surname. I would keep the first name masculine, short, simple and one-syllable if possible (no more than two for sure). Here are some suggestions.
[name]Jack[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Ned[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Eli[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Finn[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Vaughan[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Reid[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Ivan[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Colin[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Roman[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Earle[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Gage[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Seth[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Dean[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Lorne[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Kyle[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Shane[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Drew[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Roscoe[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Lloyd[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Cole[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Milo[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Troy[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Ross[/name] [name]Howard[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name] [name]Howard[/name]

I personally love [name]Otto[/name] and dont find it dorky at all. It is very [name]German[/name], or at least in my eyes. [name]How[/name] does it sounds with your Lithuanian last name? [name]Eliot[/name], is very much going to the girls and I suppose it kinda sounds like idiot although that is something I never thought of! [name]Dashiell[/name] is becoming more common so I think people will become more familiar with it and know how ot pronounce it. It also offers you the nn [name]Dash[/name], which everyone can spell and say. [name]Dashiell[/name] is by far the best match with [name]Harper[/name]. [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Howard[/name] sounds lovely.

Others:
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Easton[/name]
[name]Quinton[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]

I, for one, think [name]Harper[/name] & [name]Eliot[/name] would be a great sibset, but I suppose I am biased because both are among my favorite names. [name]Harper[/name] & [name]Dashiell[/name] would be another good one, but if you’re concerned about [name]Dashiell[/name] going with your last name, might I suggest:

[name]Harper[/name] & [name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Harper[/name] & [name]Noah[/name]
[name]Harper[/name] & [name]Ronan[/name] (though admittedly, an Irish first name with a Lithuanian surname might be a bit silly)
[name]Harper[/name] & [name]Miles[/name]
[name]Harper[/name] & [name]Max[/name]

Also like the suggestions of [name]Leo[/name], [name]Kai[/name], [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Silas[/name].

thanks all for the great suggestions!