Brother for Jonah Elliot

I’m attempting to solidify sibling names for my son, [name]Jonah[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]. The sex of our second child will be concealed until birth, so we need to settle on a boy name and a girl name.

For the boys so far we have:
[name]Josiah[/name] [name]Finian[/name]- [name]Josiah[/name] means “fire of the [name]Lord[/name]” and we love the significiance of the biblical [name]Josiah[/name], but we’re afraid it’s too close to our son’s name. [name]Finian[/name] is a saints name which we love and also symbolic of our Irish heritage.
[name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name]- also a saintly combo, meaning “one who hears” and “messager of the [name]Lord[/name]” . . .
[name]Elijah[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]- [name]Elliot[/name] ([name]Jonah[/name]'s middle name) is actually a varient of [name]Elijah[/name], so we’re hesitent to use this name. We love the nickname [name]Eli[/name].

Which boy name do you think fits best with our son [name]Jonah[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]?
Also, our last name is [name]Willis[/name]. Thanks so much for your advice! :slight_smile:

This is very tough because they are all fabulous names.

On balance though, I think [name]Josiah[/name] and [name]Elijah[/name] are too close to [name]Jonah[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]. Plus you may end up in an ‘ah’ ending pattern.

Of the names left [name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] is a good solid choice. Personally I’m attached to these names as my gt gt grandfather was [name]Simon[/name] and his father and brother were [name]Gabriel[/name] :slight_smile:

Would you consider [name]Finian[/name] as a first name? I think it fits with [name]Jonah[/name] beautifully. [name]Finian[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] would make a handsome combo imo. That would get my vote.

:slight_smile:

For the boys so far we have:
[name]Josiah[/name] [name]Finian[/name]- [name]Josiah[/name] means “fire of the [name]Lord[/name]” and we love the significiance of the biblical [name]Josiah[/name], but we’re afraid it’s too close to our son’s name. [name]Finian[/name] is a saints name which we love and also symbolic of our Irish heritage.

• [name]Josiah[/name] is too similar to [name]Jonah[/name].

[name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name]- also a saintly combo, meaning “one who hears” and “messager of the [name]Lord[/name]” . . .

• I really love [name]Simon[/name] and [name]Gabriel[/name]. Not sure how much I love them together. Let me think about it.

[name]Elijah[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]- [name]Elliot[/name] ([name]Jonah[/name]'s middle name) is actually a varient of [name]Elijah[/name], so we’re hesitent to use this name. We love the nickname [name]Eli[/name].

• I think anything to do with [name]Elliot[/name] and [name]Elijah[/name] has been taken already.

[name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Willis[/name] - The combo of [name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] sounds great with your last name. I love it! [name]Willis[/name] is a whispery name, so the first and middle name can be really strong with the macho sounds of G and br and the hefty mon sound at the end of [name]Simon[/name].

Great names!

Unfortunately, [name]Josiah[/name] and [name]Jonah[/name] ARE too close :frowning: Disappointing, I know. I have lots of “sets” of names that I love too ([name]Elliot[/name] and [name]Elijah[/name], for one, and I also love [name]Elias[/name]; [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name]; [name]Cecilia[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name]).

Anyway, [name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] does seem to be your best choice here, but I think I actually prefer [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Simon[/name].

Some other names you might like:
[name]Ephraim[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Abram[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Reuben[/name]

I agree with pp that [name]Josiah[/name] is too close to [name]Jonah[/name]. [name]Elijah[/name] would be ok (especially with nn [name]Eli[/name]) but is already taken by [name]Jonah[/name]'s [name]Elliot[/name]. Luckily, the name you’re left with is fabulous–and probably the one I would have chosen from this list anyway! I really like [name]Simon[/name] and [name]Simon[/name] [name]Willis[/name] is very handsome. [name]Simon[/name] [name]Finian[/name] would also sound nice if you aren’t sure of the [name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] combo. I think [name]Simon[/name] and [name]Jonah[/name] are very handsome names for brothers!

I love [name]Elijah[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]! Strong and handsome name, and not at all to close to your older son’s name.

I think [name]Jonah[/name] and [name]Eli[/name] ([name]Elijah[/name]) sound great together. I wouldn’t worry about [name]Jonah[/name]'s middle name.

Good luck!

As the mother of a [name]Josiah[/name], I think [name]Jonah[/name] is a little too close. [name]Elijah[/name] is also too close for my liking, just because of the repeat of the ‘ah’ ending, but I can see these two working if you aren’t as picky as I am. [name]Simon[/name] and [name]Jonah[/name] work as a sibset.

Would you consider [name]Eli[/name] as a stand alone name? I think [name]Jonah[/name] and [name]Eli[/name] would be great for brothers.

Other ideas (thinking biblical here):

[name]Jonah[/name] and [name]Elias[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name] and [name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name] and [name]Asher[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name] and [name]Micah[/name] (oops, another ‘ending in ‘ah’’ pair)
[name]Jonah[/name] and [name]Benjamin[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m voting for [name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name]. :slight_smile:

Some more you may like:

[name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name] (up front)
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Samson[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]

Good luck!

[name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Simon[/name] (preferred) or [name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] would both sound great with brother [name]Jonah[/name] [name]Elliot[/name].

Great names!

Have you thought of switching the order in your first combo?
[name]Finian[/name] [name]Josiah[/name] [name]Willis[/name] is a handsome name.

[name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] is a bit too heavy on the saints in my opinion. What about [name]Simon[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] or [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Simon[/name]?

Good luck!

I like [name]Josiah[/name] but I agree it’s too close to [name]Jonah[/name]. I like [name]Elijah[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] equally. They are both so cute, and sound great with [name]Jonah[/name]. I wouldn’t worry about [name]Elijah[/name] and [name]Elliott[/name], I don’t think most people know the names are variations. Also, outside of family most people won’t even know [name]Jonah[/name]'s middle name.

[name]Hi[/name],

I have to say that i don’t really like any of the choices, mainly because [name]Josiah[/name] and [name]Elijah[/name] are too close to the names you already have used for [name]Jonah[/name], and i’m not a ‘[name]Simon[/name]’ fan.

With regard to the Irish name - i do like [name]Finian[/name], but prefer [name]Fintan[/name] (I am biased tho as i named one of my sons [name]Fintan[/name]!)

Looks like maybe you’re after a biblical name combo-ed with an Irish name. Here are some suggestions:

[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Lawrence[/name] [name]Riley[/name]
[name]Sampson[/name] [name]Eoghan[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name] [name]Fintan[/name]
[name]Ethan[/name] [name]Quinn[/name]

I love parents who think about the meaning as well as the name combos when naming their child.

I love [name]Josiah[/name] [name]Finnian[/name] and the nn’s for the boys may be [name]Joe[/name] and [name]John[/name] and I don’t think anyone would say don’t have a sibset of [name]Joseph[/name] and [name]John[/name], so in a way I am saying it is fine to have [name]Josiah[/name] and [name]Jonah[/name] but in practice you may find even calling them in for dinner may be like calling out one name.

[name]Simon[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] is a lovely combo, but [name]Josiah[/name] and [name]Simon[/name] should be [name]Josiah[/name] and [name]Simeon[/name] to get the same feel.

[name]Simon[/name] is one of my favourite names and [name]Gabriel[/name] matches [name]Elliot[/name] well.

Another idea

If you chose [name]Cruz[/name] then you would have the meaning of ‘crossbearer’ meaning bearing the [name]Cross[/name] for [name]Christ[/name].

[name]Simeon[/name] [name]Cruz[/name]

Best wishes

WOW!! Great suggestions! I really appreciate your input! It’s so insightful! Thanks!!