Brother for Margot

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all! I got some helpful advice here with my first child, a daughter who we ended up naming [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] (last name is [name_u]French[/name_u] and starts with an M). I could use some input on our top choices for her baby brother’s name!

[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_u]August[/name_u] (Gus)
[name_m]Anthony[/name_m]
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m] (Rapha)

Currently, my husband is enamored with [name_u]Remy[/name_u] and he considers it the frontrunner. I really like [name_u]Remy[/name_u], but I’m not feeling positive that of all the names in all the world, it’s the best/right one for our only son. I have opposite issues with [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]: I love the nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u] but not as in love with August; I love the name [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] but not as in love with [name_u]Tony[/name_u]. And “Rapha” has been my secret dream boy name for ages, but we live in [name_u]California[/name_u] and my husband thinks it might be seen as appropriative of Latinx culture (which we do not have in our background). I think with the “ph” it just looks European, but interested in thoughts there as well. Like with [name_u]Gus[/name_u], that one is really more about my love for Rapha than it is for [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]. If it affects your thinking at all, this child is more likely to be brown-haired and brown-eyed with olive skin than a blondie, but I suppose there’s always the chance!

Would love to hear any thoughts you might have, whether short or longwinded! Thank you!

1 Like

First of all, [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is a stunning name. It’s beautiful and spunky with a delicate and elegant [name_u]French[/name_u] flair :sparkles:

[name_u]Remy[/name_u] is cute, so I can see why your husband loves it. If you are not sure using it as his first name, I would consider [name_u]Remington[/name_u] as a mn. What do you think?

Here are some sweet and handsome names that came to my mind while reading your description:

[name_m]Basile[/name_m]
[name_u]Beau[/name_u]
[name_m]Dennis[/name_m]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_m]Gaspard[/name_m]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_u]Maxime[/name_u]
[name_m]Laurent[/name_m]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_m]Olivier[/name_m]
[name_m]Timothée[/name_m]
[name_u]Thoreau[/name_u]

Some combo ideas:

[name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_m]Gaspard[/name_m]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_m]Laurent[/name_m]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_f]Maxine[/name_f]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Thoreau[/name_u]

[name_u]Beau[/name_u] [name_u]Remington[/name_u]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m] [name_u]Remington[/name_u]
[name_m]Laurent[/name_m] [name_u]Remington[/name_u]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u] [name_u]Remington[/name_u]
[name_m]Timothée[/name_m] [name_u]Remington[/name_u]

I hope you’ll like them! :sparkles:

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Here are my thoughts on your list-

Remy-So cute & feels perfect w/Margot. It’s a [name_u]French[/name_u] & spunky & handsome & simple but not over done.

[name_u]August[/name_u] (Gus)-I love [name_u]August[/name_u] & the nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is charming. But [name_u]August[/name_u] is not the only way to get [name_u]Gus[/name_u]! There’s always [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_m]Angus[/name_m], [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], [name_m]Fergus[/name_m], [name_m]Giuseppe[/name_m], [name_m]Gustavo[/name_m], [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m], [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], etc.

Anthony-It’s not my super favorite, but it’s not a bad name. I wouldn’t say that [name_u]Tony[/name_u] is completely unavoidable, but I definitely know Anthonys that are just [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]. I would say that if you loath [name_u]Tony[/name_u], then don’t do it. But if you prefer [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] yet wouldn’t be totally horrified if he got an occasional [name_u]Tony[/name_u] once & a while, [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] is a nice choice.

[name_m]Raphael[/name_m] (Rapha)-Hm, I’ve never thought of Rapha, but that’s kind of fun & different. I think that [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] is a beautiful name though. And I love the nn [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] as well. I wouldn’t worry about it feeling too Latinx. It’s a biblical name; free to use for any culture.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_u]Remy[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] are gorgeous names and each goes brilliantly with [name_f]Margot[/name_f] (also beautiful). And I don’t think you’d be appropriating Latinx culture at all if you used Raphael; after all, it’s of Hebrew origin and is very much a cross-cultural choice, being used widely in Europe and in the Americas.

It’s such a tough pick for me because I genuinely love all three but I probably think [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]Remy[/name_u] go best with [name_f]Margot[/name_f], followed by [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]. In saying that, as I said, I think each of these, including their nickname forms (Gus and Rapha), would make fantastic brother names to [name_f]Margot[/name_f].

[name_m]Anthony[/name_m], for me at least, doesn’t fit quite as well. I see it as somewhat dated and lacking in the same combination of timelessness and contemporary ‘cool’ of [name_u]Remy[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Raphael[/name_m].

1 Like

[name_u]August[/name_u] is my favorite! I think both [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]Gus[/name_u] pair well with [name_f]Margot[/name_f] :blush:

I really like [name_u]Remy[/name_u] with [name_f]Margot[/name_f] since they’re both [name_u]French[/name_u]. Some other [name_u]French[/name_u] boy names are [name_m]Ames[/name_m], [name_m]Benoit[/name_m], [name_u]Chandler[/name_u], [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m], [name_m]Elouan[/name_m], [name_u]Henri[/name_u], [name_u]Landry[/name_u], [name_m]Monty[/name_m], [name_u]Quincy[/name_u], [name_m]Percival[/name_m], [name_u]Percy[/name_u], and [name_u]Sacha[/name_u].

[name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] is incredible-- sweet and striking.
You could call him Rapha as a pet name or nickname, and he could easily go by the more formal [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] if he wanted to when he’s older. I do think that spelling is not at all Spanish-speaking (though the nickname Rapha works better as [name_u]Rafa[/name_u], no matter the full spelling).

Best wishes!

1 Like

[name_m]Raphael[/name_m] strikes me as international so I don’t think it’s appropriating:) It’s also my favourite! I love [name_u]Remy[/name_u] too!

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m], [name_u]Douglas[/name_u], [name_m]Gustav[/name_m], and [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] could have the nn Gus!!

With [name_f]Margot[/name_f], I’d also suggest

[name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
[name_u]Percy[/name_u]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Alphonse[/name_m]
[name_m]Carlos[/name_m]
[name_m]Clement[/name_m]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]

Thank you everyone! These are all so helpful, and some great ideas for middle names as well! It sounds like [name_u]Remy[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], and [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] have the most support, and it has definitely made me feel better to hear that others like [name_u]Remy[/name_u]. It feels a bit “newer” than some of the others (in the sense of being on people’s radar in the US), so I’m grateful to run some water through the pipes!

1 Like