Brother For Riley

Ok, so my husband & I are HORRIBLE at picking out names. With our first child, we didn’t know if she was a boy or girl until she got here & thank goodness she was a girl because we did NOT have a boy name picked out. We only had [name]Riley[/name] - & we only wanted [name]Riley[/name] for a girl’s name. She didn’t even get her middle name [name]Kate[/name] until she was 3 days old. There are very few names that jump out to either one of us, & ones that have, the other doesn’t like. So to make a long story short, we are due in less than 2 months & we NEED help!

So, here’s what we were going for, his name is [name]Davy[/name], mine is [name]Katie[/name], & her’s is [name]Riley[/name]. We really wanted to go with a 2 syllable name ending in the “ey” sound. But we know that’s hard (especially for naming a boy, b/c to be honest, how many boy names sound good past childhood ending with the “ey” sound), so we’ve given up on it having to be that. As long as it’s two syllables and the middle name is one syllable. ([name]David[/name] [name]Heath[/name], [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Rae[/name], [name]Riley[/name] [name]Kate[/name], you get the point)

I’ve thought of & loved names such as [name]Brantley[/name], [name]Braeden[/name], [name]Hudson[/name], [name]Jonah[/name], [name]Parker[/name], [name]Hayden[/name], & [name]Wesley[/name]. He has vetoed all of them. His hasn’t really come up with any by himself except for [name]Sean[/name] & [name]Smith[/name] as middle names. Which I’m not opposed to [name]Sean[/name] as a middle name IF it goes with the first name we picked out, he even ok’ed [name]Shane[/name] as an alternative if [name]Sean[/name] just doesn’t sound right. But [name]Smith[/name] is just a bit too off for me. (it’s his mother’s maiden name that she wishes she used as his middle name instead of [name]Heath[/name]…I’m MORE than happy she used [name]Heath[/name] b/c I [name]Love[/name] the name [name]Heath[/name], & he doesn’t really…but just yesterday he said it might be growing on him. Who knows how long that will last with him).

An Irish name would be ideal! But at this point, a name that we both really like no matter the origin, syllables, or ending sound will be perfect! PLEASE HELP!!!

I forgot to mention, my husband is big into Boy Scouts & their 100th anniversary is this year. He thought it would be cool IF we could name our son with the initials BSA (yes it works with our last name) That’s about all he’s come up with. & he’s not set in stone with that either. he just thinks it would be cool IF it would work

Well let me see what I can do…

Initials BSA:

[name]Barry[/name] [name]Smith[/name] …

[name]Bobby[/name] [name]Steve[/name]…

[name]Billy[/name] [name]Sam[/name] …

OR I was thinking since for your daughter you did the opposite initials of your name (Katherine Rae —> Riley Kate), why don’t you do that with your husband’s initials for your son…

A suggestion:

[name]Harry[/name] [name]Dane[/name]…

Sorry I don’t think I was of much help

Much Apologies.

No, I think I like the idea of reversing his initials. My only problem is finding names to fit. That’s been our problem the whole time. That’s why at this point, I’m just looking for names, & IF they happen to fit one of our ideas, then that’s great! I like names that are a little less “common.” I don’t want them to be TOO uncommon, just not the same “[name]Jason[/name] & [name]Jennifer[/name]” names always used. You know? I kind of like [name]Dean[/name] instead of [name]Dane[/name]. But that at least gave me an idea. You helped a bit, thanks.

Hmmm… [name]Glad[/name] to know I helped a bit, using that newly found info let me see what I can do:

[name]Hanson[/name] [name]Dean[/name]…

[name]Hector[/name] [name]Dean[/name]…

[name]Harris[/name] [name]Dean[/name]…

[name]Hugo/name [name]Dean[/name]…

[name]Howie[/name] [name]Dean[/name]…

I like the idea of keeping the “y” or “ey” theme. What about these:

[name]Brady[/name]
[name]Bailey[/name]
[name]Benjy[/name]
[name]Bentley[/name]
[name]Bradley[/name]
[name]Brody[/name]
[name]Crosby[/name]
[name]Danny[/name]
[name]Dempsey[/name]
[name]Finley[/name]
[name]Grady[/name]
[name]Murphy[/name]
[name]Ozzy[/name]
[name]Presley[/name]
[name]Teddy[/name]/[name]Theodore[/name]

What about [name]Henry[/name] [name]Dean[/name]?

He hasn’t really given me a response to this one, but the one I’m looking at right now is [name]Hayden[/name] [name]Dave[/name]. I don’t know how I feel about the [name]Dave[/name]. As I said, his first name is [name]David[/name]. & he goes by [name]Davy[/name]. We used [name]Kate[/name] as [name]Riley[/name]'s middle name with my name being [name]Katherine[/name] & me going by [name]Katie[/name]. I was trying to think of a way to contort [name]David[/name] into a one syllable middle name that’s not exactly [name]David[/name], [name]Davy[/name], or even [name]Dave[/name]. b/c I kind of think of Super [name]Dave[/name] any time I hear [name]Dave[/name]. (it wasn’t AS bad when I put it with [name]Hayden[/name] for some reason, but still kind of there) I thought of maybe [name]Day[/name]/[name]Dai[/name]. But I don’t think he liked it too well. Any other ideas on that matter? It doesn’t have to be exact, but maybe at least having the same sound/feel as [name]David[/name].

I love [name]Brantley[/name] & even Burkley, but everyone has said no to those two names. & [name]Braeden[/name] was a green light until he found out that one of his co workers that he doesn’t like has a devil child named [name]Braeden[/name] & I lost my name. I like names along these lines like you suggested, I just have to tread lightly b.c my nephew’s name is [name]Brent[/name] & we can’t get too close to that with [name]Bently[/name], etc.

Maybe instead of trying for the initials BSA, you could use [name]Scout[/name] as a mn. I really love the name [name]Scout[/name] in general.

[name]Milo[/name] [name]Scout[/name] and [name]Riley[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Charlie[/name] [name]Scout[/name] and [name]Riley[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Scout[/name] and [name]Riley[/name] [name]Kate[/name]

To go with the BSA theme…
Cool, two-syllable first names that would go well with [name]Riley[/name] (I even got a couple -ey endings for you!)
[name]Bodi[/name] (I think this one would go particularly well with [name]Riley[/name])
[name]Brody[/name]
[name]Bryson[/name]
[name]Byron[/name]
[name]Banjo[/name]
[name]Barclay[/name] (pronounced [name]Berkeley[/name])
[name]Baxley[/name] (I think this is another cool one that satisfies the -ey, two syllable, B name, and sounds awesome with [name]Riley[/name])
[name]Brandon[/name]
[name]Benji[/name] (although more of a nn, sounds adorable with [name]Riley[/name]. Maybe go [name]Benjamin[/name] but have him go by [name]Benji[/name] until he chooses otherwise)
[name]Berlin[/name], [name]Brooklyn[/name], [name]Boston[/name], [name]Bristol[/name] (altough with unisex name [name]Riley[/name] for you daughter, I might avoid these unisex sounding place names for your son)
[name]Brady[/name] (Classic boy name)

Middles with S
[name]Scout[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]
[name]Sam[/name]
[name]Saul[/name]
[name]Scott[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Sean[/name]/[name]Shane[/name]
[name]Sol[/name]

My favorite combos are [name]Bodi[/name] [name]Shane[/name], [name]Brandon[/name] [name]Sage[/name], and [name]Bryson[/name] [name]Scout[/name].

I also like the idea of going with HDA initials, but can’t think of much beyond [name]Harry[/name] [name]Day[/name] (I actually really like this) and [name]Henry[/name] [name]Dane[/name].

Best of luck to you!

I love your husband’s idea!

I’d go with…

[name]Brady[/name] [name]Stephen[/name]

I like [name]Riley[/name] & [name]Brady[/name] together :slight_smile:

THIS. I love the mn [name]Scout[/name]!

If you want to go further into it, [name]Bradley[/name] [name]Scout[/name] is cute.

Other end with -y “Irish” options:

[name]Corey[/name]
[name]Finley[/name]
[name]Dempsey[/name]
[name]Grady[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]

I love the name [name]Bentley[/name]!
You could do [name]Bentley[/name] [name]Davis[/name] :smiley:

I really dig ‘[name]Bentley[/name]’!
I also thought of ‘[name]Westley[/name]’ & and ‘[name]Avery[/name]’ (not an ‘ey’ on the last one, but dern close!) :slight_smile:
Best,
L

Thank you to everyone who posted your help. We really appreciated the helpful ideas. We finally decided the night I was being induced. Yes, we are SO last minute. We decided on [name]Braeden[/name] [name]Sean[/name] Ammons. So we went with the BSA idea afterall, even though we didn’t realize we did it until after we decided. haha