Brothers Wesley and Calvin ... too much?

[name]Hi[/name] all. I’m currently pregnant with my 3rd baby, gender still unknown (but I think it’s a boy!). My kids are named

[name]Wesley[/name] [name]Emmanuel[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]

For a boy, I kind of like the name [name]Calvin[/name]. I wanted to use it for the first one, but I chickened out because my friends HATED it.

Now I’m feeling bold. What I wonder is, is it too “matchy” to go with [name]Wesley[/name]? Does this make anyone think of the Protestant church leaders/theologians besides me? (Admittedly, I am a bit of a theology nerd.)

Thanks.

I don’t get a “matchy” feel at all with [name]Wesley[/name] and [name]Calvin[/name]…maybe I’m missing something?
Also, I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about with the church leaders :slight_smile: (But I’m not Protestant…if that matters…)
I think they sound good :slight_smile:
[name]Wesley[/name] is a favorite of mine!

Thanks!

[name]John[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] was the founder of the Methodist church. His brother, [name]Charles[/name], is a famous hymn writer.

[name]John[/name] [name]Calvin[/name] is the founder of Calvinism, one of two popular strains of Protestant theology (think the Puritans, Presbyterians, etc.). The “competing” view is free will or Arminianism.

It would kinda be like naming your kids [name]Matthew[/name], [name]Mark[/name], and [name]Luke[/name] or something. :wink:

I love your kids’ names, and like [name]Rica[/name], I didn’t think of religion at all. If you’re concerned, what about sticking [name]Calvin[/name] in the middle? (I think [name]Calvin[/name] is great!) :slight_smile:

[name]Wesley[/name], [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Calvin[/name] sound awesome together! [name]Calvin[/name] is unique for today’s generation, and it’s classy and sophisticated–not to mention that it has the cool nickname “[name]Cal[/name]”.

If you love it, than you go for it! He’s your boy!

I think [name]Wesley[/name], [name]Lydia[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] w/ this!) and [name]Calvin[/name] make an authentic and refined sibset. Also, I was raised Presbyterian and the reference doesn’t jump out at me even though I was reminded of the connotation once I read it in your post.

[name]Even[/name] if you’re primary social circle is made up of hardcore protestants, I wouldn’t worry about other people thinking it’s odd because it’s pretty obscure and subtle. Plus they’re just so lovely together. But of course, if you’re not fully comfortable with it, do what feels best!

I got your question just from the title, but I’m a bit of a theology nerd too…
I think the names go well with [name]Lydia[/name] like others have said as well. Honestly, most people are not going to figure out the connection. Now if your last name was [name]Wesley[/name], and you named your kids [name]John[/name] and [name]Charles[/name], that would be funny…and a bit matchy :slight_smile:

I got the theology connection, but most people wouldn’t. [name]Wesley[/name] and [name]Calvin[/name] are very handsome. [name]Just[/name] don’t name your third son [name]Luther[/name].

Some educated people might assume you did it on purpose, but I think even if you have the associations, it can be just random. You like the names. It just so happens to be they are the same names, but that doesn’t make your children namesakes. A lot of people have those names, so it’s not like naming your children Einstein and [name]Newton[/name], or [name]Laurel[/name] and [name]Hardy[/name], or [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Jill[/name]. [name]Albert[/name] and [name]Isaac[/name], for example, or [name]Stanley[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name], can be sort of amusing but it’s kind of clever and ambiguous at the same time, as well as coincidental usually (hopefully?). [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Jill[/name], probably too direct. [name]Wesley[/name] and [name]Calvin[/name], I think they sound like good names together that most people will not associate with anything.

Wow, thanks for all the support and input.

When we named [name]Wesley[/name], I thought “well [name]Calvin[/name] is out,” but I think I was overthinking it. lol. I’ll talk to the hub and see what he thinks.

Thanks again! You guys are great.