Brutal honest opinion on my new list part 2 . Lets make the list smaller !!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] , berries !! i have been thinking a lot lately and i make a new list because the other one was very terrible ( my own list , no BF impact ) ,

My new list :

[name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] : possible combo [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_u]Grey[/name_u]
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ( moving to the middle )
Dysis ( new )
Eleusis ( new )
[name_f]Niobe[/name_f] pr . Ny - oh - bee ( althought i pr . different )
Briseis pr . bri-say-is ( see above )
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Elektra[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] ( althought i hate the nn Panda & [name_f]Dora[/name_f] )
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Nemea[/name_f] ( someone amazing suggest this to me with the nn [name_m]Lion[/name_m] )
Lyonesse
Lupin
[name_f]Iole[/name_f] vs [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] ( cant decide . help )
Hekate ( middle )
Orseis ( not sure on that )

I know that a lot might seem strange to you but iam okay with them .

Like the other list , you can be as brutal as you want :smiley:

Hopefully after that i can make my top 10 .

combos or suggestions are always welcome .

Thanks in advance .

My favorites are [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f], [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f], [name_f]Elektra[/name_f], [name_f]Pandora[/name_f], [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] and [name_f]Isolde[/name_f].

Good:

[name_f]Elektra[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f] - [name_f]Iole[/name_f] looks and sounds weird.
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Nemea[/name_f]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - Although you’d better think of another nn quick smart!

Bad:

[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - I know it’s a woman’s name, but it’s so masculine-sounding, especially with mn [name_u]Grey[/name_u].
Briseis
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - It’s lovely, but it’s incredibly popular (might be okay as a mn).
Dysis
Eleusis
Hekate - I’d vastly prefer Hecate.
Lupin
Lyonesse
[name_f]Niobe[/name_f]
Orseis

I think all the names in the “good” category are solid, but all the names in the “bad” category aren’t just names I don’t like much - I think they’re pretty awful. My top three would be: [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] and [name_f]Pandora[/name_f].

[name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f]: Toss! This is just so much name to live up to. I would think, “What if I have a rough-and-tumble tomboy or a shy bookworm and here she is named after the goddess of love, beauty and sex!” Unless you have Greek heritage where this is truly a traditional name, I would set it aside.
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]: Keep! It’s over the top and frilly but I would still enjoy seeing a little girl with this name. :slight_smile:
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] : Keep! I do get what the previous poster said about it having a rather masculine sound, a la [name_m]Aramis[/name_m]. But unlike [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f], I think this name is wearable in day to day life for any type of girl. [name_m]Artie[/name_m] or [name_f]Emi[/name_f] or [name_f]Missy[/name_f] would all be cute nicknames. Still I wouldn’t combine it with [name_u]Grey[/name_u], since that makes it even MORE masculine, to me. Suggest: [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u].
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]: Toss! The world is full of Isabellas, and it is a beautiful name. But you have such eclectic taste: don’t settle for something too “safe” or you might kick yourself later.
Dysis - Keep - for now! I like the meaning and it’s unusual yet easy to spell. But it kind of reminds me of [name_m]Dyson[/name_m] vacuums and someone yelling “Die, sis!” :confused:
Eleusis - Keep - for now! The spelling might trip people up but I think it’s pretty. nn Lusi ([name_f]Lucy[/name_f])!
[name_f]Niobe[/name_f] - Toss! I like the name (the look and sound), but the story behind it is violent and depressing.
Briseis -Toss! Pronunciation and spelling issues all her life, and not pretty enough in my view to be worth it.
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] - Toss! Although I hate to say it, because it’s so pretty, but - see “[name_f]Isabella[/name_f].”
[name_f]Elektra[/name_f] - Keep - for now! I totally get the “cool factor” of this name, but I would hate to be named this because of all the electric jokes.
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - Keep! Her mythology is a little bit dark, but not like [name_f]Niobe[/name_f]. It is unusual yet wearable for all ages.
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - Toss! If you don’t like the most likely nicknames, cut it now and save yourself the worrying.
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - Keep! The most common one I vote for keeping - it’s just a lovely name and less commonly given as a first name than a middle name it seems like.
[name_f]Nemea[/name_f] - Keep! If it’s pronounced “nehMAYuh.” Exotic but approachable.
Lyonesse - Toss! All life long: “Your mother named you Lioness? Was she on a safari?” etc. I couldn’t.
Lupin - Toss! [name_m]Remus[/name_m] Lupin the male [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] werewolf, aka “Moony!”
[name_f]Iole[/name_f] - Toss! Looks weird, I forget and think “eye-ole” (rhymes with hole).
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f] - Keep - for now ! Classic and wearable but will have pronunciation issues.
Hekate - Keep (in the middle)!
Orseis - Toss! Sounds even more masculine than [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]!

Thanks everyone for your opinions :slight_smile:

@sarahmezz : From [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] i kind love the [name_f]Ana[/name_f] ( think of it right now !! [name_f]Love[/name_f] it !! )
@peanut : Well , Iam Greek so [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] isnt unusual to me :smiley:
And I like [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u] !! Very lovely .

Please keep the opinions coming :smiley:

love:
[name_f]Niobe[/name_f] pr . Ny - oh - bee ( althought i pr . different ) pretty
Briseis pr . bri-say-is ( see above ) pretty

maybe:
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] nice but will be difficult
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] nice

hate:
[name_f]Nemea[/name_f] ( someone amazing suggest this to me with the nn [name_m]Lion[/name_m] ) awful
Lyonesse- horrid

I know that a lot might seem strange to you but iam okay with them .

Like the other list , you can be as brutal as you want :smiley:

Hopefully after that i can make my top 10 .

combos or suggestions are always welcome .

Thanks in advance .[/QUOTE]

Your style is very different from mine so I don’t really like any of them. [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] are the only ones I am neutral about.

I like [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] best. These are unusual without being too off the wall, in my opinion.

[name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] - love: different, pretty, but recognisable and pronounceable.
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] - I adore this name; but worry that I am too un-European (lol) to use it :frowning:
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - this is brilliant! (For a boy I presume)
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - this is pretty for a middle name - I think it’s too common for a first name for you. [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] might work better as a middle, as most of these names are quite long, and [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] might make the name look too ‘heavy’.
Dysis - not sure about this - the word ‘dy’ (die) is a bit off-putting to me.
Eleusis - how would you go about pronouncing this?
[name_f]Niobe[/name_f] - I would hesitate if you’re going to pronounce it differently - it will prove difficult for you and [name_f]Niobe[/name_f]. I looove this name pronounced the original way though.
Briseis - I think you’ll have a lot of pronunciation difficulties.
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] - love this name. Sophisticated but still fun.
[name_f]Elektra[/name_f] - prefer [name_f]Electra[/name_f], but still not a huge fan. Prefer [name_u]Echo[/name_u].
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - I adore this name, but worry that poor little [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] would be called “purse-phone” because not everyone is very cultured in the myths… still a beautiful name and not quite enough to put me off it :slight_smile:
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - I love this! I worry about “[name_f]Pandora[/name_f]'s box” jokes, but it’s so beautiful. I think the jewellery line [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] will help ‘normalise’ the name. I like the nn [name_m]Pan[/name_m].
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - beautiful, but unfortunately becoming more popular :frowning:
[name_f]Nemea[/name_f] - not a huge fan I’m afraid.
Lyonesse - not a huge fan again, sorry. I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] for a boy, however. WDYT?
Lupin - VERY [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]; I love! :wink:
[name_f]Iole[/name_f] vs [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] - definitely prefer [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] - absolutely stunning.
Hekate - can’t get over the ‘Heck’ sound; and it also looks a bit like ‘hate’ to me.
Orseis - this would get pronounced ‘orses’ (like horses without the ‘h’) a LOT.

My favourites:
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m] (suggestion)
Best of luck!

Favorites: [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_f]Elektra[/name_f], [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] and [name_f]Nemea[/name_f]

[name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] - This name is a bit too much in my opinion
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] - [name_f]Love[/name_f] this one. Its an old favorite
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - Again, old favorite
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - Meh, its okay
Dysis - Interesting. I think its kind of pretty
Eleusis - Same as above
[name_f]Niobe[/name_f] - Not a fan
Briseis - Ick. I think you’ll have lots of pronouncing issues and I don’t like the sound of it
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] - Pretty. [name_m]Long[/name_m] and elegant
[name_f]Elektra[/name_f] - Very sexy and exotic in my opinion
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - Same as [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] it! And don’t worry, I don’t like nn Panda and Dor either
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - Its alright. Pretty
[name_f]Nemea[/name_f] - Exotic and beautiful. I think I found a new favorite
Lyonesse - Not sure how to pronounce it exactly. Not a big fan
Lupin - On a girl? I’m a big [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] fan, so no.
[name_f]Iole[/name_f] vs [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] - [name_f]Iole[/name_f]. I hate [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], but [name_f]Iole[/name_f] is kind of pretty
Hekate - Same as [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f]
Orseis - I’m not sure on it either. I think I’m pronouncing it wrong, but I’m saying it O’ar-sees, Like someone forgot the ‘v’ in Overseas

[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] – [name_f]Love[/name_f] this name
[name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] & [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] : [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] & [name_f]Athena[/name_f] are guilty pleasure names for me! I love them but personally I wouldn’t give any offspring such an obvious god/goddess name. To me, it’s just the same as naming a child after a deity of a currently practised religion (e.g. Allah, Jehovah), i.e. too much to live up to. Also, in the case of [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f], I’d be concerned that, when she hits the teenage years, she won’t thank you for being named after the goddess of love.
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ( moving to the middle ) I just don’t like ‘-bella’ names in general, so it’s a no from me on this name However, I really like the more streamline [name_f]Isabel[/name_f].
Dysis ( new ) – [name_m]How[/name_m] do you pronounce this? Dye-sis or [name_f]Dee[/name_f]-sis? Prefer Dye-sis overall, but not a fan of either.
Eleusis ( new ) – [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t feel anything for this name either way, but think it might be a bit hard to pull off if you didn’t have any ties to Greece.
[name_f]Niobe[/name_f] pr . Ny - oh - bee ( althought i pr . different ) – I really like this name. I think it hits the sweet spot of being original, yet easy to pronounce from the get go. Plus it’s really pretty.
Briseis pr . bri-say-is ( see above ) – Not a fan. [name_m]Just[/name_m] don’t think it’s a particularly attractive name.
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] – It’s ok.
[name_f]Elektra[/name_f] – Based on your other names, I’m sure this is another Greek mythology reference, but with its more recent media references ( [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] [name_f]Electra[/name_f], [name_f]Marvel[/name_f] comics [name_f]Elektra[/name_f] and associated film, [name_m]Bond[/name_m] girl [name_f]Electra[/name_f] [name_m]King[/name_m]), I think it’s veered a bit too much into the ‘Ms. Fanservice’ stereotype to be usable in real life.
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] – I find this name a bit pretentious, if I’m honest
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] ( althought i hate the nn Panda & [name_f]Dora[/name_f] ) – Shame you hate the nn Panda, because I think that’s one of the most appealing things about this name! I quite like [name_f]Pandora[/name_f], but not enough to use it with all the possible (and crude) [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]’s box references.
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] – Never really liked this name, but think it stems from being forced to study ‘[name_m]Romeo[/name_m] & [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]’ every year at school, so it’s not really the name’s fault!
[name_f]Nemea[/name_f] ( someone amazing suggest this to me with the nn [name_m]Lion[/name_m] ) – Together with the nickname, it screams ‘My parents read classics’ to anyone who knows the story of [name_m]Hercules[/name_m]. Which might tip it into pretentious territory for some, but it’s actually a pretty name, and I think it’s a subtle enough reference to pull off.
Lyonesse – Not really a fan.
Lupin – Undecided. Quite like the botanical reference.
[name_f]Iole[/name_f] vs [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] ( cant decide . help ). [name_m]Both[/name_m] are equally nice phonetically, but [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] looks more complete on paper.
Hekate – Not feeling it.
Orseis – If you’re not sure on it then scrap it. You have plenty of great alternatives! It doesn’t really do much either way for me.

Seperated it into Like and Dislike and ranked them!

Like:
#1 [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] - [name_f]LOVE[/name_f]
#2 [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - [name_f]Love[/name_f] but too popular
#3 [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] - I’m surprised I like this name (theoretically) as much as I do. Really like
#4 [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] - usable but not my fave
#5 [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - (like the name -I’m a big [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] Fowl nerd- but dislike possible combo [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_u]Grey[/name_u])
#6 [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - not my fave but is a nice name, I just think it is overrated
#7 [name_f]Iole[/name_f] vs [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] - [name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
#8 [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - not my fave but I see it’s appeal
#9 [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] (althought i hate the nn Panda & [name_f]Dora[/name_f]) - don’t like this name but it is perfectly usable

Dislike: (just not my style of naming - unless it reminds me of something)
#10 [name_f]Elektra[/name_f] - usable but not my fave
#11 Briseis pr . bri-say-is
#12 Lupin - too close to Lupus
#13 Orseis
#14 Lyonesse (too close to Lioness)
#15 Dysis
#16 Eleusis
#17 [name_f]Nemea[/name_f]
#18 [name_f]Niobe[/name_f] pr . Ny - oh - bee (could be perfectly usable)
#19 Hekate

Thank you all for your opinions :slight_smile:

Keep:
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] - though I’m not personally a fan it’s an alright name
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - love this name definitely not too masculine
[name_f]Elektra[/name_f]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - I’m not a fan of [name_f]Ana[/name_f] as the nn as it really takes away some of the magic of [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] for me

Middle only:
[name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] - love the name but it’d be rough growing up as an unattractive [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f], or a prudish [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f], or a… Lots of things
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - very safe
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] - very safe
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - very safe

I’m not a fan of any of the rest… And I find the idea of Lupin on a girl sacrilegious in the spirit of [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] :smiley:

Keep

[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] : possible combo [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_u]Grey[/name_u]
Briseis pr . bri-say-is (mn only)
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
Lupin (mn only)
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]

[name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f]- [name_f]Love[/name_f] this! It is romantic and unique yet familiar.
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] : possible combo [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_u]Grey[/name_u]- I prefer [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] for a girl and I don’t like it paired with [name_u]Grey[/name_u].
[name_f]Niobe[/name_f] pr . Ny - oh - bee ( althought i pr . different )- [name_f]Love[/name_f] this too. A beautiful name.
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]- [name_f]One[/name_f] of my favourites but some people have pronunciation problems.
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] ( although i hate the nn Panda & [name_f]Dora[/name_f] )- I love the nn Panda but it’s fine that you don’t. I love this name but think that the associations with [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]'s box at a crude level can’t be ignored.
[name_f]Iole[/name_f] vs [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] ( cant decide . help )- [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] is definitely my favourite out of the two.

To conclude my favourites are [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f], [name_f]Niobe[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f].

Names that meet my approval:
Aphrodite - This might be too over the top, but I do think its pretty. Especially paired with something less feminine.
Artemis - Love the name Artemis! Love nn Artie. IMO you should pair this with something feminine since it has a fairly masculine sound.
Cassandra - Love Cassandra if only for the Insane Trojan princess connection.
Elektra - This is not my style but I like it more than some of your other options. I think of Carmen Elektra.
Persephone - I like this with nn Persy, I’m not a fan of Sephy though.
Pandora - I like Pandora. I think it will be easy enough to avoid nn Dora and Panda, you just have to start calling her by a different nn instead.
Isolde - Love. This is a surprisingly sweet option considering the rest of your list.
Eleusis - I like this in my head, how do you pronounce it?
Nemea - Also how do you pronounce this?

My favourites are Aphrodite, Artemis, Cassandra, Pandora & Isolde

Names I dislike:
Anastasia - Too frilly and/or nasal sounding.
Juliet - Terrible namesake. I do like Junia, would that fit your style?
Lyonesse - This seems like a name for a fantasy character, not a person. What career path fits someone named Lyonesse?
Lupin - I think of Lupin from the Harry Potter series. And he was a dude.
Iole - I prefer Isolde, the way I’m reading Iole does not sound attractive.
Hekate - I don’t really hate it, but I do’t particularly like it.
Orseis - I know this was a greek nymph but it sounds masculine to me, like its an attempted feminization of Orson or Orpheus or something.
Isabella - Isobel is better.
Dysis - No.
Niobe - I like the origins of this name but I don’t like it in actual practice.
Briseis - I think this is a little too bizarre.

[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ( moving to the middle )
Dysis ( new )
Eleusis ( new )
[name_f]Niobe[/name_f] pr . Ny - oh - bee ( althought i pr . different )
Briseis pr . bri-say-is ( see above )
[name_f]Elektra[/name_f]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] ( althought i hate the nn Panda & [name_f]Dora[/name_f] )
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Nemea[/name_f] ( someone amazing suggest this to me with the nn [name_m]Lion[/name_m] )
Lyonesse
Lupin
[name_f]Iole[/name_f] vs [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] ( cant decide . help )
Hekate ( middle )
Orseis ( not sure on that )

[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] is my favorite, and a goddess is masculine? [name_m]Just[/name_m] wondering… I love it with –

[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]

The one problem with [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] is that I think it might become the next (more offbeat) [name_f]Isabel[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] is adorable, and I would love to meet babies with this n

I appreciate your unusual, literary tastes, but I think sometimes it goes over the top (as far as I am concerned), such as Lupin. In English, it is spikey, unattractive plant. In [name_m]French[/name_m] “lapin” is rabbit, and in Latin “lupus” is wolf. I am hearing all this in the background, and none of it says “baby name” to me. I also think [name_f]Iole[/name_f] and Lyonesse are not working.

For your consideration:

[name_f]Cressida[/name_f]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
Veronese

Thanks everyone!!!

@ bonnie1107 : I only knew that lupin means wolf. I didnt know about the other meanings,thanks for telling me. I also love your suggestions!! [name_f]Cressida[/name_f] & Veronese are lovely.