Butchering Hazard?

Our current top combos for our child due this month are [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] [name_m]Fox[/name_m] & [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f].

However, we live in the US. Would both [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] and [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] be mispronounced and misspelled all the time?

Should we go with some saver options?

EDIT:
We’re reconsidering Amory for a boy. Would you prefer Amory or Ciaran?

Also, is Lavender too out there as a middle? Would you prefer Lavender, Genevieve, Eloise or Amelie as a middle for Ffion?

[name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] should be okay after telling someone how to say it. I’ve seen it spelled [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] and most people get it right on the first or second try.
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] while gorgeous is going to take some more time to get correct. If you love it, go for it.
I think both combos sound really good.

I would spell it [name_m]Keiran[/name_m] so there is less confusion but I think both are usable I actually really love [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] I think it is so pretty.

You’d probably be safer with the anglicized spelling ([name_u]Kieran[/name_u], which is also on my list!!), but if you don’t mind correcting people every once in a while, [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] would probably be fine. I’ve never even heard of [name_f]Ffion[/name_f], and I’ll admit I had to look up the pronunciation, which actually makes a lot more sense than some other Welsh names I’ve come across. I’m guessing that one would be a struggle for a lot of people as well…

Honestly, I think you’d be fine in terms of pronunciation! [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] is essentially pronounced how it’s spelled and [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] isn’t hard to figure out! I do think they would both be misspelled a lot. [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] is going to be spelled [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] and [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] would be Fion. That said, misspelling can happen to very simple names too - [name_f]Claire[/name_f] vs. [name_u]Clare[/name_u] vs. [name_u]Clair[/name_u] - people will learn to spell it eventually!

In my state they would definitely get butchered often.

I am not in the US so I probably can’t help. I just want to say I absolutely adore [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] [name_m]Fox[/name_m] and [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]!! :smiley: My name is getting misspelled all the time too, and honestly, it’s just a minor discomfort. I never want to change the spelling or anything.

[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] is pretty straightforward. [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] isn’t any harder than [name_m]Sean[/name_m] or [name_m]Seamus[/name_m], and I think most people have heard [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] by now.

First of all, I adore both of your combinations!

Secondly, no, I don’t think so. Certainly not with [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] - it’s incredibly straightforward, so I’m almost certain that the risk of butchering the name is minimal. [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] is rather well known (yet for some reason, [name_f]Ciara[/name_f] is not??), as is [name_u]Kieran[/name_u], so I’m sure that won’t have much of a problem either!

I think that [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] is pretty straight forward. Some people might mispronounce [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m], but if that bothers you the anglicized [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] is always an option. However, if you prefer the [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] spelling, I would use it! I live in the southern U.S. and I know a little boy named [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] and he doesn’t seem to have many problems. (His brother is Braith - I love that combination!)

I’m just echoing the PPs :wink:

There might be occasional confusions, but nothing big since [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] and it’s variations are gaining popularity and [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] is pretty straightforward.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] both combos btw!

Thanks for the comments, guys!

[name_m]Keiran[/name_m] might be an option, but we are also re-considering [name_u]Amory[/name_u]. So we’re not entirely sure yet.
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] is indeed a bit more straight forward, so we will probably keep it locked in first :wink:

However, DH is second guessing [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] in the middle name spot. He thinks it might be too extravagant. So it might be switched to [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] or [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_u]Eloise[/name_u].

Some thoughts on that would be appreciated too!

We’re definitely feeling the pressure now, with only a week or so left to decide!

I definitely prefer [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] (this spelling) over [name_u]Amory[/name_u]. I don’t think you’d need to Anglicize [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m], but I do think there would be some butchering over the name depending on where you live.

[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] would get a lot of raised eyebrows throughout the US… however, the pronunciation makes sense in English phonetics. An alternative could be [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]. I like the [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_u]Eloise[/name_u] combination.

I prefer either [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] or [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] over [name_u]Amory[/name_u]. [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is my favorite of the ones you listed.

I have to say, Oakwood, you have great taste in names. I love what you have picked out. As an American I can say that I’m with the previous posters with regard to pronunciation. The spelling may be butchered depending on the person who is trying to transcribe, but I think it should be fine for either name.

What does he mean extravagant? Is it because it’s a double flower name? Or [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]'s just too unfamiliar? Because your other options all seem similarly long, flowy, and feminine. I personally love [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], and don’t think it would cause you too much trouble in the middle spot, but I can see some hesitation in naming someone, essentially, Foxglove [name_f]Lavender[/name_f].

In that case, any of your other options would work beautifully. They all have the same syllable pattern as [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] so the flow is the same. (That’s assuming it’s [name_f]EL[/name_f]-o-weez and not el-o-WEEZ) I personally like [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], it has a little more weight to it than the others. But [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] is adorable and has an appealing contrast of sounds with [name_f]Ffion[/name_f].

Some other options:

[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Elora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Patience[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Desiree[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Clarity[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Melody[/name_f]

I would personally just spell them [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] and Fion- they’re not terrible as they are, but I still think they’d lead to a bit of head scratching.

I’d probably spell [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] either [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] or [name_m]Keiran[/name_m], or even [name_u]Kieron[/name_u]/[name_m]Keiron[/name_m]. There are a lot of alternative spellings, lol. I live in [name_f]England[/name_f] and there are more [name_m]Keiran[/name_m]/[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]/[name_u]Kieron[/name_u]/etc etc than there is [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m].

[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] is pretty straightforward, is it not? It’s like [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m]… People get the hang of [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] real quick, I don’t know how they won’t with [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] as it’s the same “the Ff is just F” to “the Ll is just L” with [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m]. I do prefer [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]/[name_f]Amelie[/name_f], though.

Honestly I think both of those names would always be mispronounced or misspelled. [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] is a little easier than [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] but I have no clue how to pronounce [name_f]Ffion[/name_f]. I can’t picture an adult with the middle name [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] either.

From your other options I like [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_u]Eloise[/name_u].

I had a student named [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] last year, and I definitely didn’t know how to pronounce it until I asked him (it doesn’t follow English pronunciation rules: C is pronounced like S when followed by an E or I and like K before an A, O, or U). But I also don’t see that as a big deal. It’s not really a big deal to have to correct pronunciation the first time someone meets you… it wouldn’t even be an issue that often anyway because in how many other scenarios does someone see your name on paper before meeting you?