Butting heads on naming styles

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries!
Recently my husband and I started discussing names and we realized that we have different styles. My husband likes more modern and trendier names and I like family vintage names and bible/saints names. Our separate lists are below but we need help narrowing down and finding names that can possibly help blend our styles. Thanks!
Names he likes:
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f]
Names I like:
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f] (only if I don’t use [name_f]Mary[/name_f])
[name_f]Anne[/name_f]/[name_f]Ann[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]

My husband and I are the same way! He likes modern-sounding while I like classic. A couple that he surprised me with were Eva and Nora. I think of those as vintage names, but I guess they sound modern to him somehow. I’ll let you know if I can think of any others!

P.S. Apart from Mary, my husband approves of all the girl names in my signature, so those might be ones your husband would like too.

I see what you are saying about your general different styles, but I would say [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] fit right in with your style, and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] fit right in with his! So there is room for compromise. [name_m]How[/name_m] about:

[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]

Here’s a little list!

[name_f]Emeline[/name_f] (Like [name_f]Emily[/name_f], but with added elegant tones)
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f] (Still vintage-like and elegant but with nickname ‘[name_f]Ella[/name_f]’!)
Rielle (Possible nickname [name_u]Riley[/name_u])
[name_f]Annelie[/name_f] (Similar to [name_f]Emily[/name_f] but offers nickname [name_f]Anne[/name_f]/[name_f]Annie[/name_f])
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] (Very vintage-esqe, could try nickname [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] or [name_f]Addy[/name_f])
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (nickname [name_f]Olive[/name_f])

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps! :slight_smile:

I think there is quite a few names that have a similar style. Suggestions:

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Mira[/name_f]
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

I much prefer your list (ha!), but mostly because all your husband’s choices seem very common. Pretty, but uninspired. So I think there’s actually a lot of similarity in your styles, and it may be that he just hasn’t been exposed to that many names. I really like the suggestions of [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], and I think he could definitely warm up to [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Bridget[/name_f], [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]. It might even help to point out that a lot of those names have really been rising in the rankings these days, in case he thinks of them as old-fashioned when that’s really no longer the case.

I know exactly what you mean! I’ve been thinking about names (okay, obsessing about names) since I was 12 and my husband has such different style than mine, ranging from [name_f]Bernice[/name_f] to [name_f]Kaylee[/name_f] to [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], which don’t even seem to fit in the same room together to me! I love so many of [name_f]Kristen[/name_f] of Kerrytown’s suggestions for you, especially [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_u]Eden[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]. Here are a few others from discussions and compromises with my husband, some from him and some from me. (Sorry for any repeats I might have missed!)

[name_f]Katia[/name_f]
[name_f]India[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
Valency
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_f]Corinna[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_u]Teagan[/name_u]
[name_f]Matea[/name_f]
[name_u]Nicola[/name_u]
[name_f]Tavia[/name_f]
[name_u]Adair[/name_u]
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]
[name_u]Rae[/name_u]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Miren[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]

I think there some names here that you could work with:

[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]

These names in your lists are names that I think both of you could warm up to, eventually. Have you thought about each one of you picking a favourite name and seeing if it would work in a combo? I think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ella[/name_f], nn [name_f]Marielle[/name_f], could be lovely. Or maybe using variations of the names. You may not like [name_f]Aria[/name_f], but maybe you could like [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] or [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]. Maybe he would let you pick one of your favourite names as long as one of his are included!

Names that are compatible with both styles:
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]

Perhaps you both would like…

[name_f]Marin[/name_f]/[name_f]Merryn[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]

Best of luck finding a name you both love!