Buying a book

I, a teenage girl, went into a bookstore to buy a copy of The [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name] (sorry, [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]). As the clerk, in his late teens or early twenties, rang it up, he stared straight at my belly. “So. [name]Baby[/name] name book.”

I didn’t think he’d believe that I just love names, so I tried to think of a more plausible excuse. “Um, yeah, it’s, uh…for…my…aunt.”

He continued to stare at my midsection. “Right,” he smirked, “your AUNT.” I blushed. “I used to hate my name,” he said, STILL gazing at my stomach, “because it was so weird. Now, though? I think it’s pretty cool.”

In a very uncharacteristic gesture, I didn’t ask; I was too flummoxed by the cashier’s implication to want to speak with him further, so I just rushed out. But since then it’s been driving me crazy – what the heck was that guy’s name??!

Any random guesses/other awkward stories welcome.

(PS - Needless to say, when I later discovered the wonderful world of Nameberry, I went someplace else to buy Beyond [name]Jennifer[/name] & [name]Jason[/name], [name]Madison[/name] & [name]Montana[/name]. Someplace where some of the clerks only read Japanese.:))

Funny! I’m wondering what his name is now, too. The only awkward story I can think of, is that I have to tame my urge to critique people’s choices. Of course I don’t mean anything bad about the actual child, but sometimes I just want to sort of pick apart real people’s names and that’s just not nice if they aren’t on the same level of name-loving. For example, an acquaintance of mine had a boy named [name]Jacob[/name] and then had a baby and named him [name]Jackson[/name]. All I could think of was: [name]Jake[/name] and [name]Jack[/name]??? Luckily I recovered quickly enough to say, oh he’s adorable, how much did he weigh, etc.

I know what you mean, here. I know someone who just named their little girl [name]Aly[/name]. That’s it, just [name]Aly[/name]. No full name. I was stunned…